Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

It's amazing to me that when it comes to real estate, wow, Tyler's City Council can sho nuff make some decisions, but when it comes to changing the name of a school, the School Board just decides not to vote one way or the other.

Maybe the school board needs to go to a city council meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:28 AM

270 posts, read 110,383 times
So tell me, why should Robert E. Lee be changed? You obviously are not from here, you’ve shouted it from the rooftops. I went to Lee and you don’t even pay taxes here so why is it any of your concern?

Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
So tell me, why should Robert E. Lee be changed? You obviously are not from here, you’ve shouted it from the rooftops. I went to Lee and you don’t even pay taxes here so why is it any of your concern?
My kids attended REL High School and I paid Tyler ISD taxes for many years before moving a few years ago to Chandler.

As I've stated many times, I have lived in the Tyler area for over 25 years, much of that time spent living actually IN Tyler and paying property taxes in Tyler. I may move back to Tyler in the future for that matter. As it is, I only live a few miles outside the city limit.

We've discussed before that my kids attended TISD schools.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM

Okay, you got me there. But now why should your voice drown out my voice and others who want to keep the name? I say the name should be kept because we need to oppose the snowflake culture. Just because someone gets offended at something does not mean that every time they get offended all of society has to adjust to their demands. Also, evolving cultural norms are such that even if we changed the name within 20 or 40 or 50 years, people will get offended at that name and say that that name needs to be changed. So to prevent this from continuing to be a divisive issue for generations to come, the name needs to stay the same and dissenters just need to make peace with it. Find a way to move on and move on.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Okay, you got me there. But now why should your voice drown out my voice and others who want to keep the name? I say the name should be kept because we need to oppose the snowflake culture. Just because someone gets offended at something does not mean that every time they get offended all of society has to adjust to their demands. Also, evolving cultural norms are such that even if we changed the name within 20 or 40 or 50 years, people will get offended at that name and say that that name needs to be changed. So to prevent this from continuing to be a divisive issue for generations to come, the name needs to stay the same and dissenters just need to make peace with it. Find a way to move on and move on.
Your opinion - and that's all it is - is not shared by a lot of people living in this area.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 AM

Evidently it is Kathryn since the name is still on the school. That’s how democracy works. The people deliberate on an issue and then take a vote and the majority prevails. You seem to have a big problem with this. Maybe you should think about moving to a dictatorship like Zimbabwe, which I’m sure will be delightful for your interracial family, or North Korea. Maybe you can occasionally see Dennis Rodman in an exhibition match or Kim executing his family members in public executions. I’m sure you would like all that much more than big bad racist America.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Evidently it is Kathryn since the name is still on the school. That’s how democracy works. The people deliberate on an issue and then take a vote and the majority prevails. You seem to have a big problem with this. Maybe you should think about moving to a dictatorship like Zimbabwe, which I’m sure will be delightful for your interracial family, or North Korea. Maybe you can occasionally see Dennis Rodman in an exhibition match or Kim executing his family members in public executions. I’m sure you would like all that much more than big bad racist America.
First of all, we don't live in a democracy. Secondly, the TISD school board is definitely not a democratically run organization. They didn't want a vote so they just DIDN'T VOTE. So no, that's not how a democracy works - or a republic for that matter. But that's how TISD works.

I'm proud to be an American and grateful to live in the US, in Texas, and in Tyler by the way. Just to clarify. It's not a perfect place but it's a good place overall. Always room for improvement though! Onward and upward!

You are making a whole lot of assumptions about me that are really inaccurate by the way, but if you're having fun have at it - your odd opinions have absolutely zero bearing on the quality of my life, which is darn good just for the record. Have a great day! I'm off to teach a class to some white, brown and black folks!

Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, we don't live in a democracy. Secondly, the TISD school board is definitely not a democratically run organization. They didn't want a vote so they just DIDN'T VOTE. So no, that's not how a democracy works - or a republic for that matter. But that's how TISD works.

I'm proud to be an American and grateful to live in the US, in Texas, and in Tyler by the way. Just to clarify. It's not a perfect place but it's a good place overall. Always room for improvement though! Onward and upward!

You are making a whole lot of assumptions about me that are really inaccurate by the way, but if you're having fun have at it - your odd opinions have absolutely zero bearing on the quality of my life, which is darn good just for the record. Have a great day! I'm off to teach a class!
You are such a liar. Just the other day you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If you live in Tyler (I don't, just for the record - I actually live in Henderson County), then that would make you a Tylerite by the way.
So which is it, liar? Do you live in Tyler or do you live in Henderson County?

A wise man once said, never tell a lie, that way you don’t have to remember anything.

I bet you really do work for the city. You constantly lie to people and tell them how nice it is living here when it really is a depressed, low wage, high crime, illiterate, broken home, drug addicted moral ghetto.

You’re a teacher. I’m not surprised. I was taught my entire life by snarky, know-it-all, conceited witches like you from the time I was in elementary school with only rare exception. You are exactly the reason our education system has failed. Like another wise man once said, “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.”

Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Go ahead and teach on that $35,000 a year salary. Eat ramen noodles you low life. Fill their heads with garbage and crap and liberal fairy tales and lies. See if I care.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM

206 posts, read 171,139 times
There is no need to have a high school named after Robert E. Lee. If people want to honor a historic figure, why not Abraham Lincoln? The reason the school board wouldn't vote on the name change is to avoid looking like individual racists. But institutional racism carries on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler