Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavi78 View Post
Wow, that's a huge project, from around Home Depot all the way down past Loop 49! But I agree that Tyler needs to widen roads whenever possible and add lanes. Most of that property is commercially owned, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM

566 posts, read 391,069 times
https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/co...46e4b3132.html

Old 04-22-2019, 04:22 PM

Tyler City Council to vote on controversial proposal for new housing development

Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Chik-fil-A opens downtown Tyler location

Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ty...d6c3d57c8.html

Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
RANT COMING, LOL

Great way for the city to never have to provide water and sewer services to this area. This can remain an area with no city taxes, but have most of the benefits of being IN Tyler city limits. You see, the city has no plans to ever annex this area, not in the next 10 and 20 year plans, city could not afford to annex and provide services at the low city property rate they have now.

In the last one to two years our brilliant mayor lead the way by leading city council to agree to give large chunks of Extra Territorial Jurisdiction, land, by state law that belongs to Tyler NOW, ETJ, gives/gave these land rights to Bullard, Chandler, Whitehouse, and Lindale. Very, very little to no news coverage on this. I watched this on City Council Meetings on cable, saw and heard with my own ears, and eyes, no fake news.

You see, if Tyler EVER, needed to expand it's city tax base, all cities crave to keep what they have, do NOT give what have have AWAY, how stupid, and gain more land or area rights if possible, but our mayor said, the reason, I heard him say this, my jaw dropped and eyes popped out, as to WHY he gave Tyler right to land away, "I just want to be a good neighbor to the cities." NOTHING, not anything was given BY these cities in return to Tyler, no exchange of property, nothing.

You see, this is difficult to FULLY explain the significance of this on here, these cities can now move their cities limits closer to Tyler than the STATE law previously allowed, Tyler's mayor "gave it up" these laws protect all cities, yes, including Tyler, from a city like Whitehouse annexing northward up highway 110 toward Tyler. Tyler had the rights to that property by state law, but without a citywide vote by the citizens, MAYOR, just gave Tyler's future to expand to Whitehouse which promptly, in this case, moved their city limits up to next to TOLL 49, and built a concrete monument stating WELCOME TO WHITEHOUSE. Surely someone noticed this change? NO?

How did this mayor think that Tyler would NEVER want or need that property? I'm talking square MILES were given to these four cities. Both Chandler, and Bullard moved their city limits. In Bullards case, they had moved their city limits as far north as possible before Tyler gave them about a two mile stretch of extremely value South Broadway, (highway 69 south), then Bullard moved their city limits back to where it was near, FM 344, knowing NOW Tyler would not head south toward them, I'll explain, directly to anyone y why they moved the city limits back, if anyone cares to know, I doubt, takes to much to explain that on here. I guess the mayor has a crystal ball telling him Jesus will come before then, when in 2020, and Tyler want need this property anyway, lol This was very BAD judgement, by the mayor, at very best, I'm nice, I want say what I REALLY think, and I would be banned from C.D. anyway.

Oh, to explain, Tyler being over 100,000 in population can control/prohibit, by state law, annexation toward them by any city like Bullard, or creation of any NEW city withing fives miles of Tyler's city limits. Or to explain the reverse, Tyler has the term, given, ETJ, Extra Territorial Jurisdiction, of 5 files beyond it, Tyler's current city limits, IN every direction around the city, meaning, NORTH,SOUTH,EAST,WEST, mayor gave some of those rights to cities withing those directions, again, draw a line around Tyler, following the city limits LINE around Tyler and five miles out FROM THAT LINE, Tyler controls development, by state law.

Side note, a city of 50,000 - 100,000 Longview, 82,000 can control only 3 1/2 miles. Within that 5 miles any subdivision built, as small as one street of 10 houses, or so, whatever, that street, has to be built per Tyler or the cities, policy and codes, Tyler's requirements are, paved streets, curbs, gutters, water, sewer so that, when in time, the city wants to annex the areas, by law, to for that area to now enter the city, all that is required BT TYLER, is to provide, police and fire, protection, all other city services are there.

If this is too complicated or I did not explain well, contact me directly if you are interested. Yes, for this second, or period on time, MAYBE this does not matter, but what happens in time, in the future, if Tyler NEEDS to expand, it or cities can't expand, therefore no new property or too little property is being added to the tax rolls, therefore the city tax RATES, THE MONEY PEOPLE WHO CURRENTLY LIVE IN THE CITY, will NEED to go up. YOU WILL PAY "MORE" MONEY, because fire trucks wear out, police cars wear out, streets tear up, salaries HAVE to increase, to keep ANYBODY, not just better leaders, lol But you, the taxpayer, at that point in time, will NOT get anything NEW for your additional tax money paid by YOU to the city. Just pay more of your money for the same services, at best, sometimes not, often you have LESS efficient services, less street repairs and so on.

Oh well, I don't have many years left to see how this plays out in Tyler anyway, "things" may be great for today, but this mayor sold Tyler' FUTURE out, unnecessarily, with nothing gained in return, how stupid.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:09 AM

270 posts, read 110,289 times
It is the rampant immorality and cronyism in Tyler. Most of the people there are not there because they are the smartest, brightest, most able. They are there because of who they brush shoulders with and because they greased more palms than anyone else. Some would say that's a problem in government itself. It probably is. But Tyler is supposedly more smart, more spiritual, and more godly than every other city. Tyler is that New Zion of which the prophet speaks. Tyler is a shining city on a hill. It's almost like what you're saying Mark is that none of that is true. I feel that I have been lied to. For I thought Tyler was the closest thing to heaven on earth, according to so many Tyler residents.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
It is the rampant immorality and cronyism in Tyler. Most of the people there are not there because they are the smartest, brightest, most able. They are there because of who they brush shoulders with and because they greased more palms than anyone else. Some would say that's a problem in government itself. It probably is. But Tyler is supposedly more smart, more spiritual, and more godly than every other city. Tyler is that New Zion of which the prophet speaks. Tyler is a shining city on a hill. It's almost like what you're saying Mark is that none of that is true. I feel that I have been lied to. For I thought Tyler was the closest thing to heaven on earth, according to so many Tyler residents.
Surely you mean to exclude present company, because otherwise one might be offended.

Just so you know, my husband and I are plenty smart. We're also well traveled, well read, and enjoy financial stability and a nice income. Same with our friends in this area. And to be honest, we don't run in "high class" or "old money" circles, and we haven't greased anyone's palms to get where we are today. Neither of us are from here and we don't have "connections" or whatever you want to call it. We both just moved here, started our own business, and yeehaw!

I don't know about that godly or spiritual stuff you're talking about though - or for that matter, that shining city on a hill stuff. But I'm not Baptist - LOL. So there's that. YMMV. I'm Methodist - we don't go to church every Sunday, we drink, dance, and maybe even smoke with impunity, and some Methodists are even (gasp) LIBERAL politically!

Tyler is a nice place, a decent sized place with more amenities than many small cities it's same size, and generally friendly people seem to live here (though there are exceptions, clearly). It offers close proximity to Dallas if I want or need a little Big City in my life, but it also offers lots of pleasant countryside in the area. It's got a decent cost of living, and it offers good shopping, stellar medical care, and lots and lots of beautiful neighborhoods - without a lot of traffic - with decently priced homes, if I ever get a hankering to move again, which typically happens every 8 years or so. The economy is healthy, and unemployment is low. People tend to get along well.

By your name alone (not to mention your posts), clearly you have some sort of angst regarding Tyler. I'm sorry about that, but my experiences here have been positive. Perfect? No, which is why my husband and I travel to different states and different cities several times a year open to the possibility of moving there one day, probably after we retire (so far, they've all struck out but who knows...it could happen). But we're both very happy here.

You don't seem to be. Personally, I wouldn't continue to live in a place that caused me anxiety. I mean, I might put up with it for a bit, but not for long. Life's too short, and it's a big, big world out there. Just remember, wherever you go, you take yourself with you.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 PM

270 posts, read 110,289 times
I'm sorry, are you a member of the city government? Elsewhere you said you don't work for thr city. I said that the people in government were not the most able or smartest. You seem to be defensive, another common trait of Tylerites.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
I'm sorry, are you a member of the city government? Elsewhere you said you don't work for thr city. I said that the people in government were not the most able or smartest. You seem to be defensive, another common trait of Tylerites.
Actually what you said was this, which includes but is not limited to members of city government:

Quote:
If you live in Tyler (I don't, just for the record - I actually live in Henderson County), then that would make you a Tylerite by the way. If you don't live in Tyler, I don't know why you allow yourself to get all twisted up about it. Somebody must have really hurt your feelers along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler