Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

Hi, I visited San Juan last month, and I loved it, it has everything great weather, great beaches, good history and culture, but I would like it to be in mainland U.S.

I've looked into Santa Barbara, CA and it looks very nice, it reminds me of Puerto Rico. Does anyone have pro's and con's like Santa Barbara? I know it's expensive, but how much would a small 1 bedroom apartment cost a month to rent?

If you have any other cities that are similar to San Juan, that would be great.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
I always found parallels between San Juan and Miami at times, at least when you get out and explore San Juan as a whole. The tourist areas can make you think that San Juan is very compressed but the Metro Area is pretty big!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:25 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 1234 View Post
Hi, I visited San Juan last month, and I loved it, it has everything great weather, great beaches, good history and culture, but I would like it to be in mainland U.S.

I've looked into Santa Barbara, CA and it looks very nice, it reminds me of Puerto Rico. Does anyone have pro's and con's like Santa Barbara? I know it's expensive, but how much would a small 1 bedroom apartment cost a month to rent?

If you have any other cities that are similar to San Juan, that would be great.

Thanks!
I've visited both. There is no comparrison whatsoever between San Juan Puerto Rico and Santa Barbara California. Different climates, cultures, architecture, vibes, etc.

Santa Barbara is nice, very laid back and focused on the wine industry. San Juan is filled with the history which transformed Borikén into Puerto Rico.

There's a vibrant liveliness about San Juan which you will most definitely not find in "laid back" Santa Barbara. Also (and unfortunately) I have never seen so many vagrants per square yard as I did in Santa Barbara. There must be some sort of altruistic program there which attracts hordes of homeless vagrants.

There is no comparisson between San Juan and Santa Barbara; none, zilch, zippo, nada!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
No comparison at all between SB and SJU...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Old San Juan most resembles the French Quarter of New Orleans or perhaps Old Charleston.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
St. Augustine, Florida was settled by Spaniards in 1565, before any other American colony. There's some Spanish architecture and it even has it's own Spanish Fort (Castillo de San Marcos), complete with cannons and sentry boxes (garitas).

Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 PM

77 posts, read 281,740 times
I was born and raised in San Juan Metro Area and back in 1999 I visited Savannah GA and couldn't belive the similarities with Old San Juan. But the similaities are Architectural ONLY. Cobble stone streets, small restaurants, and nice little bars. I only spent a weekend at Savannah, GA and I can tell you the city life/vibe is very different from Old San Juan but they look very similar.

If you are looking for the same city life/vibe, Miami might be a good comparisson.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM

26 posts, read 113,883 times
Santa Barbara is nothing like Old San Juan. Maybe the french quarter in New Orleans. If you look outside of Old San Juan...like Condado...then Miami will be similar to Condado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories