Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 969 times

Advertisements

I'm a born and truly inspired NewYorican whom loves and lived the Bronx my whole life. I love boating and would like to know what is the deal over at Vieques? I am so motivated and interested in moving there, starting a small business, preferably maybe a small bar/restaurant and chillin for the rest of my comfy years..... What advise can someone out there who is living the Vieques life give me!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Vieques is a state of mind. You have to use the ocean around you, enjoy the solitude, and FILL UP THE GAS CANS WHEN YOU CAN. Rent a car and run out of gas? Sorry! There's no gas delivery until tomorrow! I remember when Lazy Jacks wasn't there, but Stuart and Natalya have done well with the operation. Don't expect to start a small bar/restaurant and "make it". I'll bet there are still vacant bars/buildings on the Malecon in Esperanza.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
I completely agree with Maineac.. Vieques is a state of mind. I lived there for a couple years back in the mid-1990s. You will definitely have people from New York in abundance, both residents and tourists. If I could talk my wife into it, I would move back to Vieques in a minute.

Yes, the pace of life is slow.. you are on Vieques-time I brought my wife there for 10 days a few years ago, and we rented a cottage at Evamer, on the north side of the island. Although we went into Isabella Segundo and Esperanza for most of the daytime hours, she did find herself a little bored. I took her through my old base, we visited Red, Blue, and (my favorite), Green Beach, we drove around the backside of the mountain, but it wasn't enough to hold her attention for 10 days.

Regarding opening a business, I think it would depend. There are many people who relocated from New England/New York and opened stores and bars. Bananas was always my favorite (along with Lazy Jack's), and it is owned by a Massachusetts native (or was, the last time I was there).

The problem you may run into with a new business is traffic. There are already enough bars, boutiques, scuba outfits, charter boats (and planes), grocery stores and markets, restaurants in all price ranges, etc. I think you'd have to find a niche.

Overall, Vieques is my favorite location in the world, and I've traveled extensively. But, if you haven't experienced it yourself, I would 100% recommend flying down for a few weeks. See the ins and outs. Grab a Medalla and sit on the malecon. Do that for an entire day, as that is life on Vieques.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,405 times
vieques!! its really nice there. but its in the middle of nowhere so dont expect to be doing much there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories