Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Happy homecoming and happy carnival. Maybe I'll see you in the Village! Cheers!
Or I'll stop in at your establishment. Either or.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Lemme guess: T & T?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 23,146 times
Yea, im wit da other 2 people.....i've lived on st. thomas most my life and the water is definitely drinkable.....and none of the restaurants advice u not to drink the water. and u probably didnt even notice that they may have put ice in ur drinks and wat not....did the ice not come from the same water u drink????? ain nuthin wrong wid the water at all, and if u hav a problem wit the water, y u dont boil the water and put it in the fridge to get cold????

i think u jus probably had a bad experience down here, and choose to make it sound as bad as possible....st.thomas is wonderful place to go!!!

-have a nice day

Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 AM

I love this here!!! U said everything i wanted and needed to say in a much nicer way than wat i would have done..... =]

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 AM

well, i was born and raised in st.thomas but hav lived in the states for a while...and to tell u the truth, state-side people are much more rude than we are. When we enter a room wit people in it or pass by people in the street, we say morning, afternoon, or good evening. in the states, people jus watch u like u hav something on ur face. Also, u say people watch u bad cuz ur not local, but in the states, when we go up there, people treat us much worse at times. sometimes, people would tell me go back where im from, tell me to speak proper english (and to me, im speaking fine....u dont here me telling them speak how we speak), also some people call me an immigrant and sometimes i jus wanna call dem retarded cuz we ain immigrants, we part of the US. so to tell u the truth, alot people up there shouldnt tell us nuthing like that becuz they dont even kno anything about the Virgin Islands and just assume stuff......also, what is rude, is when state-side people ask us dumb questions like if we does swing from vines, and if we live in trees or have shoes or clothes.....we could take that stuff offensively, but do u hear us complainin? no.....so i think what u are complainin about is very minor, and i believe u just had a bad experience. and like the other person said People were rude to you because when you walked in the room and didn't say good morning, you were considered rude...down here, people normally say morning, afternoon or evening when they enter a room or pass some1 in the street (like i said earlier). Also, you were probably one of those customers that walked in the store and didn't reply to anyone when they greeted you..........AND IF UR NOT WILLIN TO BEHAVE HOW THE PEOPLE BEHAVE WITH THEIR DIFFERENT CULTURES, THEN DONT GO ANYWHERE!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 AM

I like this....we dont look at money...we are thankful for every little thing we may have.....

hahaha thats funny ( the person askin if she needs a husband) LOL da one have me crackin up

Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriscottage View Post
All that about saying good morning & afternoon didn't work for us. Not all but most were RUDE to us anyway. People who aren't locals should be able to act they way they normally act. It isn't MY custom to say good morning.
We finally stopped making the effort. I don't act different when I go to another state is US, why should I there? What makes them so special?
To me, they are the RUDE ones to treat visitors this way all because they didnt say good morning, give me a break.
The blacks are for sure predjudice against whites. One example: While shopping downtown, one lady trying to draw us in her store, asked if we were shopping for jewelry. I said no. (We had already bought all we needed.) She asked why NOT? You don't like black people? I said "Yeah, that's it." How absurd and rude this ignorant person would say that to us.
The taxi drivers and local drivers were especially rude and beligerent. We had a rental car and they acted like we had no right to be on the road.
I think the natives of STT need to figure out that tourist drive their economy and if it weren't for us, they'd have no JOBS. That's for the ones who have jobs and wern't loitering on the streets drinking all day...who would also walk right out in front of your car.
I'd never go back and if I had known how the locals were and traffic, I'd never have gone.
It appeared most residents were low income and my guess is they resent tourist who come there because they can afford to vacation and spend $
I am not going to apologize for not being poor.

well, i was born and raised in st.thomas but hav lived in the states for a while...and to tell u the truth, state-side people are much more rude than we are. When we enter a room wit people in it or pass by people in the street, we say morning, afternoon, or good evening. in the states, people jus watch u like u hav something on ur face. Also, u say people watch u bad cuz ur not local, but in the states, when we go up there, people treat us much worse at times. sometimes, people would tell me go back where im from, tell me to speak proper english (and to me, im speaking fine....u dont here me telling them speak how we speak), also some people call me an immigrant and sometimes i jus wanna call dem retarded cuz we ain immigrants, we part of the US. so to tell u the truth, alot people up there shouldnt tell us nuthing like that becuz they dont even kno anything about the Virgin Islands and just assume stuff......also, what is rude, is when state-side people ask us dumb questions like if we does swing from vines, and if we live in trees or have shoes or clothes.....we could take that stuff offensively, but do u hear us complainin? no.....so i think what u are complainin about is very minor, and i believe u just had a bad experience. and like the other person said People were rude to you because when you walked in the room and didn't say good morning, you were considered rude...down here, people normally say morning, afternoon or evening when they enter a room or pass some1 in the street (like i said earlier). Also, you were probably one of those customers that walked in the store and didn't reply to anyone when they greeted you..........AND IF UR NOT WILLIN TO BEHAVE HOW THE PEOPLE BEHAVE WITH THEIR DIFFERENT CULTURES, THEN DONT GO ANYWHERE!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,562 times
My daughter and a friend of hers is going to college @ U.S Virgin Island college, do you have any advice for the two of them?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The University of the Virgin Islands has two campuses, one on St Thomas and one on St Croix. Which one are they going to and what sort of advice are you looking for?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:45 PM

286 posts, read 1,081,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by festus10 View Post
My daughter and a friend of hers is going to college @ U.S Virgin Island college, do you have any advice for the two of them?
Read the post above yours and some others by the natives
Do you still want them going there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories