Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 04:24 PM

13,549 posts, read 4,333,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
they don't, like lots of laws, special interest groups pressure the government to keep laws that benefit them.

and the U.S. Treasury (U.S. Government) has NO say? Isn't that how American politics run by the needs and interests of groups of voters in their economy? Isn't that how Puerto Rico's government works and all countries?

Quote:
sure, but it's not the main thing. cost of shipping does not account for the purchasing power of the dollar versus goods in the DR.
it accounts for prices and the higher the prices versus the currency value do affects cost like other factors from taxes and regulations.

Quote:
I'm just repeating facts to refute your propaganda. I have read the numbers before but do not have them ready.

So you do have then numbers. Well? OK I have never seen them. Congress and the Department of Commerce and Treasury has. They had hearings on this. I don't have a propaganda since I'm just a consumer and I'm not pushing for change with no details or lack of numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 02:47 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,843,545 times
turns out the jones act not only destroys domestic shipping, but it is the reason we import oil by ship (from Russia)
Quote:
The Jones Act, passed a century ago, has effectively limited the size of vessels that are allowed to transport goods between U.S. ports. That has left oil buyers on the West Coast and East Coast effectively unable to get supplies shipped out of the Gulf Coast..It isn’t profitable for companies to ship oil from that region to the U.S. East and West Coasts by such small ships, so refiners along those coasts, lacking pipeline connections from the Permian and Cushing, mostly import it from overseas...Roughly half of the oil that the U.S. imports from Russia goes to the West Coast
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/why...9elBAhUOnrgrTs

Old 03-01-2022, 06:59 PM

China and Europe gets their oil also from Russia. What does this has to do with commerce prices and jobs in Puerto Rico? So Russia is the boogie man to get rid of the Jones Act?

Old 03-02-2022, 07:24 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,172,436 times
Quote:
turns out the jones act not only destroys domestic shipping, but it is the reason we import oil by ship (from Russia)

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/why...9elBAhUOnrgrTs
Maine has to buy natural gas from Trini cuz its cheaper than getting it shipped from Texas. But i think Jones Act is meant to prop up domestic shipping lines. Which my guess is a national defense kinda move. dont want to rely on foreign shipping. but then we end up relying on foreign oil. which is shipped in by foreign shps. sooooo.....

Energy independence would be a great thing.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:11 PM

You want energy independent, then let the U.S. drill our shores and public land. Biden puts sanctions on American oil but doesn't on Russian oil. Let's drill.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
Maine has to buy natural gas from Trini cuz its cheaper than getting it shipped from Texas. But i think Jones Act is meant to prop up domestic shipping lines. Which my guess is a national defense kinda move. dont want to rely on foreign shipping. but then we end up relying on foreign oil. which is shipped in by foreign shps. sooooo.....

Energy independence would be a great thing.
it was intended to be a national defense move but has been a failure, there are very few shipbuilders left and none of them produce internationally competitive ships meaning they have very low volume. us airlines have the us crew requirement but airlines are fee to fly foreign planes. but yes, new england and PR both rely on foreign oil, in fact the entire east and west coast does as well as noted earlier. ND does ship some oil to the east coast by train but that's the least efficient of the three (pipeline, ship, rail)

Old 03-03-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
China and Europe gets their oil also from Russia. What does this has to do with commerce prices and jobs in Puerto Rico? So Russia is the boogie man to get rid of the Jones Act?
it also affects where PR sources its oil. so you approve of what Russia is doing in Ukraine?

Old 03-03-2022, 06:13 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,172,436 times
Quote:
it was intended to be a national defense move but has been a failure, there are very few shipbuilders left and none of them produce internationally competitive ships meaning they have very low volume. us airlines have the us crew requirement but airlines are fee to fly foreign planes. but yes, new england and PR both rely on foreign oil, in fact the entire east and west coast does as well as noted earlier. ND does ship some oil to the east coast by train but that's the least efficient of the three (pipeline, ship, rail)
energy independence can come from other sources as well. Nuclear power for example. but either way the jones act is outdated and only serves as a sanction against USA products and only benefits a select few and the politicians they pay for. just like the politicians that try to sell the publics land to their oil buddy friends. thank god not all are bought and paid for. just most of them.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
it also affects where PR sources its oil. so you approve of what Russia is doing in Ukraine?

I don't think you know about Russia's history to understand the overall picture and just get informed by the U.S. media which is mediocre (with all due respect) Ukraine has nothing to do with Puerto Rico. If We drill at home which Biden prohibits but it's ok buying from Russia we could solve many issues.

I don't take side in the Ukraine issue because it's a lot complicated than what the media is reporting. You can believe what you want but I know who is the U.S. and what they do. I don't pretend otherwise and I don't apologize because that's the game and this is who they are. I served in the U.S. Navy searching Soviet Nuclear Submarines in the Pacific in a real war not this. So I'm very familiar with the Russians.

NATO was formed after WW 2 to counter the Soviet Union who was our allied in WW 2. It was a 16 country alliance. The Soviet Union dissolved over 30 years ago (1991) and We told Russia that NATO wasn't expanding to their borders. NATO went from 16 countries to 30 countries today and kept pushing and pushing further East. Putin in 2007, said you are not making Georgia or Ukraine into NATO members and put missiles right on our border or inject your influence. They didn't listen and kept pushing and Putin, well? kept his word and reacted and the world is "shocked" because We are being told to be "shocked"......NO gracias. Is not our problem or Puerto Rico.

Big brother is smacking little brother for letting NATO in and wanting to expand NATO and you want me to take sides when the U.S. has done the same thing as Putin and worse?

The U.S. has invaded countries, drone the hell out of people, sold arms to bad governments, violated international law and violated treaties, overthrew democratically elected governments, supports 77% of the world's dictators and have their American military in over 80 countries around the world active in wars and you want me to feel what about Russia and Ukraine when NATO instigated this and nobody is willing to enlist to fight in Ukraine and the people in power doesn't have the balls to boycott Russia's oil.

If you really want to make Putin pause, you freeze the oil sales but the U.S. and especially Europe are too dependent on Russia's energy and won't sacrifice. They are all talk. They won't even enlist to fight and die in Ukraine but they sure talk tough behind the keyboard.

Again, I'm not apologizing. I served in the U.S. I know what We do and who We are. My problem is some Americans that don't know history or foreign affairs and pretend something We are not, drinking the kool aid by our mediocre 1 sided media. The U.S. goes to war NOT to spread democracy (most of the world is incompatible with American democracy) they go to war and bomb countries back to the stone ages for economic domination. So unless you want to fight and die in Ukraine for somebody's pockets, I suggest you sit this one out, it's not our problem.

You asked. You set the pins and I roll.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 03-03-2022 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
energy independence can come from other sources as well. Nuclear power for example. but either way the jones act is outdated and only serves as a sanction against USA products and only benefits a select few and the politicians they pay for. just like the politicians that try to sell the publics land to their oil buddy friends. thank god not all are bought and paid for. just most of them.

So outsourcing our domestic routes and ports is somehow going to clean our political system and We are getting cheaper products and more domestic jobs?

I thought higher taxes and bigger government is a sanction on products and jobs but you tell me it's the Jones Act? ok

Again, you want cheaper energy? let's drill at home which the left sanctions but are dependent on foreign energy which affects foreign policy and to the extreme wars. You think the U.S. are in endless wars and endless occupations and in 80 countries for the love and sharing?. Energy and natural resources. You want less of that, you become less dependent on foreign oil and let drill here.

I know independentistas hate the U.S. and blame even Santa Clause for their issues and frustrations but I'm still waiting to see how getting rid of the Jones act will make products in Puerto Rico cheaper and bring more jobs when you are outsourcing domestic jobs and the fact is Puerto Rico has the highest purchasing power than any Latin country behind the U.S. and Canada.

Purchasing power in the America continent:
1) U.S. 2) Canada 3) Puerto Rico and a distance rest are all Latin Countries. Can somebody explain the gap? Those countries don't have the Jones Act.

Purchasing power is the value of a currency expressed in terms of the number of goods or services that one unit of money can buy. Purchasing power is important because, all else being equal, inflation decreases the number of goods or services you would be able to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories