Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

I said that's what I would do- anywhere from San Antonio south. More housing and more jobs.

Borderline racist??? You must be prejudiced against Mexicans I guess.

Better off in RI - ha ha!! If you think that RI is affordable and has lots of housing you are much mistaken. It's a constant complaint on our forum. Prices and taxes are very high here. We also rank higher in unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Brownsville/Corpus Cristi area?
Thats borderline racist, theres lots of Mexicans there, almost no Puerto Ricans. Theres alot more in your beautiful Rhode Island, where better off there
Why is that racist? Isn’t Spanish, Spanish?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Brownsville/Corpus Cristi area?
Thats borderline racist, theres lots of Mexicans there, almost no Puerto Ricans. Theres alot more in your beautiful Rhode Island, where better off there
I said that's what I would do- anywhere from San Antonio south. Housing, jobs, no state income tax, etc. You must be "borderline racist"- I guess you don't like Mexicans.

Better off in RI- ha ha- tell that one to the people on our forum!! The ones who complain about the taxes, the cost of living, no housing, the winter, no jobs....

Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Not to turn this into another statehood thread but this will be the catalyst which brings it about. Probably not under the present Orange Clown Administration but with whichever administration follows. When the tragedy of the hurricane is in the past opportunities will be ahead.
Based on what I have observed in work and around folks here in Philly quite the opposite. The images on the news of post hurricane PR reinforced people’s anti statehood stance for PR. They see an island that looks nothing like the US with American news reporters needing interpreters to speak to the general populace. Let’s face it around 80% of the island can’t hold a basic conversation in English and never will due to stubborn pride in a language imposed on them by Spain. They wave their flag in ur face and I barely saw a single US flag anywhere on the island other than post offices lol. Look let’s face it it ain’t no way no how America. The vast majority of Americans agree. Time to say goodbye to foreign Puerto Rico. And if they cared at least more than 20 % would have bothered to learn the language of their supposed nation. They didn’t cause they don’t really care and never will. They don’t feel American is the real truth of the matter.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Housing for one. Houses are very affordable in Puerto Rico. Gas was lower than Hawai'i and other high gas prices, heck if you compare Puerto Rico to Hawai'i, the difference is astounding.
I looked at housing there, and did not see any bargains for similar housing in the states....lots of cheap housing I suppose if you include housing that most folks wouldn't consider an option. There are many cheaper houses in the states that I would not consider an option too. Fuel prices did not seem cheap to me when I was there....what was it pre Maria ? What did a gallon of milk cost, pre Maria, a can of tuna, beef, chicken, canned goods, cost per KWH for power, autos ? The fact that everything must be shipped in, save what little is produced on the island, dictates the cost of living (apples to apples) must be higher than the mainland (Hawaii is not the mainland), where transportation costs are less.

A permanent roll back of the Jones act would help, buried infrastructure would help long term.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Based on what I have observed in work and around folks here in Philly quite the opposite. The images on the news of post hurricane PR reinforced people’s anti statehood stance for PR. They see an island that looks nothing like the US with American news reporters needing interpreters to speak to the general populace. Let’s face it around 80% of the island can’t hold a basic conversation in English and never will due to stubborn pride in a language imposed on them by Spain. They wave their flag in ur face and I barely saw a single US flag anywhere on the island other than post offices lol. Look let’s face it it ain’t no way no how America. The vast majority of Americans agree. Time to say goodbye to foreign Puerto Rico. And if they cared at least more than 20 % would have bothered to learn the language of their supposed nation. They didn’t cause they don’t really care and never will. They don’t feel American is the real truth of the matter.
Aannnd swing and a miss. Nah, Hawaii was just as ethnocentric and "un-American" as late as middle 20th century, let alone 1893, and they still got goaded into statehood. Lord knows English immersion wasn't the Hawaiians forté prior to 1900. Furthermore, the manner in which the US acquired a political foothold on the Archipelago of Hawaii is considered by native Hawaiians to be extremely shady, if not outright illegitimate. The anti-Anglo sentiment in Hawaii is overt even today. They honestly make Puerto Rico look like a Disney Cruise Welcome Center when it comes to that ethnocentrism.Yet nobody is arguing for Hawaii's lack of American ownership and agency however. So thanks for the playing the "those brown PR people don't act 'american' anyways", but no cigar for you. The difference between Hawaii and PR has to do with a strategic position in the world around the time of WWII. Hawaii was without a doubt much more strategically advantageous territory than PR, and the rest is history. It ain't because they were more inclined to assimilate, that is demonstrably false even today.

But like I said before, this is semantics. You pay here or you pay there. But you pay. We're already US citizens so the argument is moot.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I said that's what I would do- anywhere from San Antonio south. More housing and more jobs.

Borderline racist??? You must be prejudiced against Mexicans I guess.

Better off in RI - ha ha!! If you think that RI is affordable and has lots of housing you are much mistaken. It's a constant complaint on our forum. Prices and taxes are very high here. We also rank higher in unemployment.

South Texas? LOL Wait let me get back up off the floor. Ok, back.

The Rio Grande Valley and all regions south of San Antonio to Corpus line and into the MX border, is the poorest part of Texas by orders of magnitude. The level of Mexican cultural hegemony in South Texas also makes it difficult for non-Mexican Hispanics (yes, there is such a thing, much to the surprise of Civics-lazy Americans) to interact. This is one place where I give Anglos their due when it comes to criticism of reverse racism; Mexicans in Southwest Texas are the most hegemonic people you'll ever have the displeasure of having to endure, especially as a federal worker who clearly doesn't have filial ties to the community, even though we make up the bulk of the tax base, pathetically. Ask me how I know. Lord knows this is a means to an end for me. As a 1st generation PRican, with the exception of my 2.5 year stint in Alabama, every other region of the Country I've lived in was a cakewalk to regionally assimilate to compared to this Mexican dystopia. San Antonio proper is as far south as I would go as a transplant PRican. Even Mexican Nationals from the DF and Central areas of that Country consider the Texas area in question, indignant and backwards. The last place I would want to land in as a Puerto Rican transplant, is South/SW Texas.

This is moot anyways. There's already a place that fits the criteria you were going for: It's called Florida, which holds a much higher percentage of Caribbean and "near-S.Americans" Hispanics that have a lot more in common (Cubans, Dominicans, Colombians et al) with Puerto Ricans than the Mesoamerican culture and ethnicity of Mexico (de facto Central America). The cultural transition and springboard into the Midwest and Western CONUS is also easier from Florida than hegemonic Mexican S. Texas.

And to be clear, there's no jobs of consequence in South texas, beyond volatile and nomadic oil and gas. The rest is "federal welfare transfer" jobs like mine, federal alphabet soup jobs located here not for legitimate reasons, but for economic transfer ones. Sacrificial lambs of a sort. But these are professional and vested jobs a transplant PRican doesn't have access to (most require a college degree and command for English). The only exception being entry-level border patrol jobs, of which I do know migrating Puerto Ricans have taken in droves up and down the Arizona,NM and TX border stations. Otherwise, the level of unemployment, illiteracy, prevalence of preventable diseases such as diabetes, is off the charts in the RGV and S.TX compared to Florida, let alone the US National Averages. Your point about New England COL is noted, which is why the second diaspora focused on Florida vice New-York/Jersey/Penn.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Houston has a growing Puerto Rican population, although that's not the Texas border country.

IMO the biggest spots for Puerto Ricans would have to be (in no particular order):
- New York City/Tri-State area
- Northeastern Pennsylvania (Allentown in particular)
- Orlando
- Miami
- Houston
- Chicago
- anywhere with a significant military presence (ie: around Fort Benning in Georgia, Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Naval Station Pearl Harbor, etc).

Old 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
This is moot anyways. There's already a place that fits the criteria you were going for: It's called Florida, which holds a much higher percentage of Caribbean and "near-S.Americans" Hispanics that have a lot more in common (Cubans, Dominicans, Colombians et al) with Puerto Ricans than the Mesoamerican culture and ethnicity of Mexico (de facto Central America). The cultural transition and springboard into the Midwest and Western CONUS is also easier from Florida than hegemonic Mexican S. Texas.
So hurricane prone Florida can absorb & support 3 million+ PRicans. OK.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Houston has a growing Puerto Rican population, although that's not the Texas border country.

IMO the biggest spots for Puerto Ricans would have to be (in no particular order):
- New York City/Tri-State area
- Northeastern Pennsylvania (Allentown in particular)
- Orlando
- Miami
- Houston
- Chicago
- anywhere with a significant military presence (ie: around Fort Benning in Georgia, Fort Bragg in North Carolina, Naval Station Pearl Harbor, etc).
Agreed. I would also add secondary clusters of significant note such as the DFW metroplex and Atlanta, latter which I have first hand experience of.

And yes, to be clear, Houston is not part of South or SW Texas in any way. To a soccer mom in Katy/Woodlands/Sugarland/whatever, anything south of I-10 and left of I-37 is not bona fide Texas anyways. Wish I was joking. To be fair to her, the denizens of proverbial Laredo-McAllen-Harlingen are equally unwelcoming of her kind. As a non-native TX resident, and "captive audience" observant of these dynamics, I find it amusing but quite informative at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories