Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which result seems better?
Statehood - PR gets richer, but becomes majority non-hispanic Americans and immigrants, PRS become minority in their own island 5 50.00%
Independence - PR gets poorer, may be temporary, but PR remains majority ethnically and culturally Puerto Rican 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 11:59 AM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify the silly opinion here, the 10th Amendment of the U.S Constitution says: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.(Of the states)

Unless the U.S. turns into North Korea overnight, the opinion is really a joke and it show what wild imagination some people have.

That would be interesting to witness the Feds taking over the public school department of all 50 states and territories. They would make the biggest and most expensive new federal agency in U.S. history. They will do the hiring and training and have the FBI do the background checks. That would be a cluster mess just on 5k schools let alone 97.7k schools.

There are 97,568 public schools in the U.S. alone. How many new Federal employees you did to hire that would manage and control that and enforce the English only law? (nevermind the lawsuits in the courts).

How are the feds enforcing English only in the public schools? Snap with electricity every time a student speaks their native language in school? That would make an interesting Teacher and Parents Conference Days, speaking to parents in a language they don't understand. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 12:20 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
How are the feds enforcing English only in the public schools? Snap with electricity every time a student speaks their native language in school? That would make an interesting Teacher and Parents Conference Days, speaking to parents in a language they don't understand. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.
This has happened before. How do you think they did it in Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico? Spanish/French was banned in the schools. In the early 20th century a lot of native Louisiana folks did NOT speak English. They banned the French language in public education - and now French is a distant memory.

If you want to be an American, you gotta be American 100% percent. That means Gringos will go to Puerto Rico, eventually buy up everything and outnumber you, and you're going to be paying the federal income tax and speaking English - or GTFO and be independent.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This has happened before. How do you think they did it in Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico? Spanish/French was banned in the schools. In the early 20th century a lot of native Louisiana folks did NOT speak English. They banned the French language in public education - and now French is a distant memory.

If you want to be an American, you gotta be American 100% percent. That means Gringos will go to Puerto Rico, eventually buy up everything and outnumber you, and you're going to be paying the federal income tax and speaking English - or GTFO and be independent.

LOL. Banning languages in SCHOOLS of learning is the dumbest thing I heard especially in a global economy and trade of today. That's like banning numbers in math. LOL

If Spanish is a right to learn in the New Mexico constitution what federal statue said that banning Spanish in public schools was the ultimate law?

Tritone stop! You take comedy too far. You couldn't stop speaking Spanish in the biggest state in the Union, California, since most of the names of the towns are in Spanish. How are you going to stop Puerto Rico from speaking Spanish in public? Give them a federal tax punishment?

"You speak 1 word of Spanish, at it will be a $100 fine for the 1st offense. You get caught for the 2nd time, $500, then $1,000 and so on. You will be jail for 30 days if you don't stop." LOL. This will be like the movie 1984. The Federal English Only Swat Patrol will be enforcing the mandate. They will force muzzle on people to prevent them from speaking Spanish. It will come in all sizes and colors.

Thanks for the laugh. You made this Puerto Rican laugh hard. I didn't know somebody could have a deep imagination.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:26 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I didn’t know how to answer. I could argue it either way.

No statehood: The mainland has enough troubles without taking on PRs corruption, political quagmire, and rotten infrastructure. Also, PR has a tropical charm that could be ruined….Late breaking thought….would PR skew our home or flood insurance rates?

Yes statehood: It might be like a very satisfying episode of Fixer Upper. Instead of sending money to foreign countries that hate us, how about we swoop in to PR, fix the roads, fix the power grids, get rid of at least 50 redundant politicians, get rid of the tariffs and regulations that cripple the country. Think of the jobs that could be created.

I’m no expert, but, for example…my son and his family live there now and they were forced to pay $8000. just to bring their car with them. They are rehabbing a house for a vacation rental, and the Home Depot there doesn’t have Same as Cash financing as we do here. Why? Some random PR rule, no doubt.

As to speaking Spanish, everyone who can, sends their kids to a bilingual school. I have a granddaughter in kindergarten, and you betcha her parents want her to be fluent in Spanish.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-09-2023 at 02:55 PM..

Old 08-09-2023, 02:55 PM

8K to bring 1 car to P.R? Damn! Where it was coming from Fiji? It should be $1,500 to 3K from Florida depending of the size and time of year. 8K is too much, sell the car in the states and buy a used one in the island.

For domestic FCL shipment from Jacksonville it's an average of $3,500 to $5,500 terminal to terminal in 40' container shipment. You can fit 4 standard size cars. 5 or 6 small cars or 3 big cars or SUVs.

The government in P.R. is doing something.

Old 08-09-2023, 03:12 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
"You speak 1 word of Spanish, at it will be a $100 fine for the 1st offense. You get caught for the 2nd time, $500, then $1,000 and so on. You will be jail for 30 days if you don't stop." LOL. This will be like the movie 1984. The Federal English Only Swat Patrol will be enforcing the mandate. They will force muzzle on people to prevent them from speaking Spanish. It will come in all sizes and colors.
In Texas they used to beat children for speaking Spanish in the schools. True story. Spanish was legally banned.

You're not going to be able to avoid something like that if you want to be a state. And Gringos will come buy everything up - it'll stop being Puerto Rico.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
In Texas they used to beat children for speaking Spanish in the schools. True story. Spanish was legally banned.

Beating children for speaking Spanish? yeah, that's a great plan today. LOL. That didn't work too well being next to the border. You have 8 million Spanish speakers in Texas today. California has 11 million. Florida 5 million. Arizona 1.5 million, N.J. 1.5 million, N.Y. 3 million. You have over 45 million Spanish speakers in the U.S. today not counting the 20 million + illegals the government can't account for but go ahead push for a federal beat down mandate in the schools. There are a few kids that deserve a beat down and speaking Spanish has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
You're not going to be able to avoid something like that if you want to be a state. And Gringos will come buy everything up - it'll stop being Puerto Rico.
You know P.R. has been under the U.S. flag and federal law for 125 years. "Gringos" (whatever that means) can come to P.R. to buy and sell just like Ricans can come to the 50 states and buy and sell. It's call capitalism, you know? LOL

The jokes keeps on coming with you.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
8K to bring 1 car to P.R? Damn! Where it was coming from Fiji? It should be $1,500 to 3K from Florida depending of the size and time of year. 8K is too much, sell the car in the states and buy a used one in the island.

For domestic FCL shipment from Jacksonville it's an average of $3,500 to $5,500 terminal to terminal in 40' container shipment. You can fit 4 standard size cars. 5 or 6 small cars or 3 big cars or SUVs.

The government in P.R. is doing something.
Nope. North Carolina, but I don’t think it mattered where it came from. This wasn’t the cost to ship the car. It was a tariff or tax to bring it into PR. The worst part was, it was a 5 year old Toyota 4 Runner, but their “book” at the dock didn’t have their model in it, so they were charged as if it was a new Land Cruiser. Their choice was to accept it or have their car impounded.

This is the kind of corruption that might be why some would fight statehood.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nope. North Carolina, but I don’t think it mattered where it came from. This wasn’t the cost to ship the car. It was a tariff or tax to bring it into PR. The worst part was, it was a 5 year old Toyota 4 Runner, but their “book” at the dock didn’t have their model in it, so they were charged as if it was a new Land Cruiser. Their choice was to accept it or have their car impounded.

This is the kind of corruption that might be why some would fight statehood.

That's not right for the people. Pierluisi's government needs the money. They lost a lot from the hurricane and Covid. My Mom just sold her house for 155k in Puerto Rico. I told her to expect a bill from P.R.. I told her joking that she shouldn't pay it since P.R. has NO jurisdiction in the state she is retired and she is done going to the island, everybody she knew is dead and the very few have 1 foot in the grave and she didn't answer me but thinking. LOL. I think the closer you are to death the less you give 2 cents about taxes especially from P.R. when you don't longer live there.

I don't think statehood is going to fix that since it's coming from the local government. All you can do is not take your car over there and don't invest 1 cent in the island but 8k to bring 1 car from NC is highway theft. They make it look like it's the latest Ferrari loaded straight from Italy.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I have another story. My DILs parents, born and raised in PR, bought a 1 acre lot in Vieques. They bought it from the US Government, and had the deed. A person who lived next door, supposedly a gringo from Wisconsin, claimed that their deed was invalid, because he already owned it.

You cannot believe how many years, and thousands of dollars were spent fighting the guy, until they finally won. Could this have happened in a mainland court? I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories