U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Puerto Rico
177 posts, read 883,210 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

Are there any traces of international communities other than these of the Caribbean neighbors on the island? Can one find German, Israeli, Polish, Irish (etc.) food stores around the island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,597 posts, read 20,381,759 times
Reputation: 50541
I never saw any in the year I spent there, maybe others might know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,672 posts, read 34,799,412 times
Reputation: 11780
I know of some Chinese and Japanese restaurants and a small community of Middle Eastern Muslims who prepare feasts at the mosques in Rio Piedras and Vega Alta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,029 posts, read 14,493,535 times
Reputation: 2774
I swear I read about a store in SJ that made fresh mozzarella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,800,731 times
Reputation: 1650
There are Chinese restaurants everywhere. There's also a couple of Spanish (Spain) restaurants and Argentinian too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,732 posts, read 8,779,363 times
Reputation: 7139
There's a Lebanese bakery in Rincon but have no clue how authentic it is. There is also a Chinese restaurant and a few Italian restaurants in that area as well.

Most places outside of the mainland US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc are not very diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,672 posts, read 34,799,412 times
Reputation: 11780
[quote=WIHS2006;8553277]
Quote:
There's a Lebanese bakery in Rincon but have no clue how authentic it is.
I have been there! Not too different quality wise from Lebanese bakeries I've been to in South Philly and Ohio......

Quote:
There is also a Chinese restaurant and a few Italian restaurants in that area as well.
On the West Coast (between Cabo Rojo and Aguadilla) I have seen gobs of Chinese, a couple Argentine (I ate at one), a few Italian, a few Mexican, and lots of US fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
 
1,995 posts, read 3,033,517 times
Reputation: 15825
Just a note of caution . . . you may find, as I did, that what is considered Chinese or Mexican food here is a far cry from what you would expect if you are coming from the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
 
2,365 posts, read 10,512,383 times
Reputation: 692
Actually, reviewing chinese or mexican cuisine in the States REALLY depends on where you live. Chinese food in Oregon is very different from chinese food in Philadelphia. The first thing you notice is the lack of it in Portland Oregon! The quantity. The presentation. The variety.

Same thing is true for Mexican. The lack of mexican food in Philadelhia compared to Oregon is very obvious.

I like Portland, because it is much easier to get space on the street for your food truck than it is in Phila. We here in phila, love our hot dogs and hoagies.

Where in Oregon, there is mexican, turkish, middle eastern, greek, etc...carribean, japanese, etc...

Where in Phila, you have chinese, sandwhich trucks, hot dog trucks, more recently the asian fruit trucks, and more recently middle eastern trucks.

So, you can imagine the vast difference between the east cost and west coast and north and south!!

No uniformity at all!

cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM
 
1,995 posts, read 3,033,517 times
Reputation: 15825
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Actually, reviewing chinese or mexican cuisine in the States REALLY depends on where you live. Chinese food in Oregon is very different from chinese food in Philadelphia. The first thing you notice is the lack of it in Portland Oregon! The quantity. The presentation. The variety.

Same thing is true for Mexican. The lack of mexican food in Philadelhia compared to Oregon is very obvious.

I like Portland, because it is much easier to get space on the street for your food truck than it is in Phila. We here in phila, love our hot dogs and hoagies.

Where in Oregon, there is mexican, turkish, middle eastern, greek, etc...carribean, japanese, etc...

Where in Phila, you have chinese, sandwhich trucks, hot dog trucks, more recently the asian fruit trucks, and more recently middle eastern trucks.

So, you can imagine the vast difference between the east cost and west coast and north and south!!

No uniformity at all!

cheers!
You are so right! I think Mexican food is almost nonexistent on the east coast. I once ordered nachos in an eastern state and was served Doritos with cheese soup and a sprinkling of green chiles on top!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top