Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

I would like to find information about contract nursing in Guam and companies that offer contracts there. Anyone have information about living conditions or companies/salaries?? Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
The first question is why Guam?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 32,122 times
hello everyone
Does anybody know where to apply as CNA in GUAM??? and IM CNA IN FLORIDA can I stil lwork in GUAM???
and how much do they pay?

I'm currently here in FLORIDA but my hubby got a better job in NAVAL BASE as engr. so I have to move with him too, now IM waiitng for my board exam for CNA.this JUNE.. .IM going to follow him after my exam HOPEFULLy I PASS...

Its suck coz schools and hospitals are here in FLorida and they are better here.. Planning to Pursue RN too..but since I have BACHELORS degree in COMPSCIE back in the PHILIPPINES now I'm planning to pursue "RN" after this CNA thing it will take me 2 more yrs prolly, becoz i had 136 credits approved fr my former DEGREE as BS COMPSCIENCE

DOES ANYBODY KNOW which school to go in GUAM???? for NURSING?

thank you I will aprreciate your help...

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,275 times
Talking Virgin Islands: Unless you have the extra $15,000 a year for private school (Montessori, you will NOT get daughter into Antilles school IMO), this is absolutely not the place to raise a teenager and impress moral values and self sufficiency. It's a vacation spot. Tourism is the only industry, and everyone is partying. I often think my son would've fared much better elsewhere. He's fine, and no problem, and 26 YO now, but opportuniites for him were missed by moving here 12 or so years ago. It's an entitlement and container community. Very, very little isn't shipped in on cargo freighters. I guess thats enough on the subject.

No strings attached? No kids? Go for it. If you last 2 months you might last 6. If you last 6 months, you'll make it a year. Once you make the first year, you start thinking "I've been here for 3 years." Get past that, the number is 5. Then the 7 year itch. Make 10 years and you, like we, are hooked. But what happens is family stateside ages, guilt sets in and things like that for almost everyone.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
University of Guam is the only one with any nursingcourses. Check carefully since the school is small and you may have to wait until there is enough students for a class. Most get their medical education in Hawaii or the Phillipines.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Scores of traveling nurses come here every year. Some love it and either extend their contracts or otherwise return every year or so, and some hate it and can't wait to leave. The majority I've met have been dedicated hard-working professionals who quickly learn to adapt to island customs (even such a small thing as saying, "Good Morning/Afternoon/Day/Night" before asking a question can make the world of difference.) And I've met a few who, although they may be dedicated professionals while working, turn into run-swilling, foul-mouthed, pant-chasing floozies once they're off duty - and those include members of both sexes!

From many conversations with many of them, the health care system here is as good or as bad as anywhere stateside. There are many stateside facilities much better than those here but also many much much worse.

There is sometimes some resentment in some quarters about the traveling nurses being paid more than the locals but generally the travelers fit in just fine.

Hope that helps a little. Cheers!
STT resident,
I am considering traveling to Guam, I am super excited. But no one seems to know the correct information about obtaining a license. I am currently in MI. Thank you!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diazepamrn View Post
STT resident,
I am considering traveling to Guam, I am super excited. But no one seems to know the correct information about obtaining a license. I am currently in MI. Thank you!
Sorry, I'm in the US Virgin Islands, not Guam, so can't help.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,744 times
How much lower is the hourly pay compared to the US?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,744 times
That last question was about VI

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM

9 posts, read 22,582 times
Great resource if you are thinking about moving here is USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands with a very active community and a TON of resources. I know several travelling nurses down here and there is no one "right" answer. I do highly encourage you to DO YOUR RESEARCH so that you have some idea of what everyday life is like here, and also make a visit down here and try to "live like a local" for half of the trip, it can be very enlightening and potentially save you an expensive mistake [or reinforce the dream of a lifetime].

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories