Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times

Advertisements

If it is S 3520 then through end of 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
IMO, if something isn't passed this week, we WILL see something passed the week of July 12th. Does anyone know if this bill will only allow a 30-day extension or will it extend the deadline to sign up through the end of the year?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM

107 posts, read 159,914 times
i'm more than certain that it won't pass this week..it will pass though..but no sooner than 2 weeks at the least..maybe this week and the week they comeback after their break next week . that's in the best case scenario. unless yes, the 4th of july makes them "feel" for us..which i doubt. i'm thinking in the end of thenext month..my last check is this thursday...so i'm hoping it passes..by the way, i still haven't heard from any jobs

Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM

377 posts, read 588,998 times
If the Senate were to introduce a standalone unemployment extension, however, it would stand a good chance of passing — even if the $33 billion cost is not offset in the federal budget, which is what most Republican senators objected to in last week's vote.
Although Democrat Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska would still vote against the measure because of deficit concerns, it is thought that both Maine Republican senators, Snowe and Susan Collins, would support the bill, providing the needed votes. The Maine senators voted against the tax extenders bill last week out of a concern that some of its provisions would hurt small business owners not because they objected to the federal unemployment benefit extension.

More likely, however, people will see a standalone bill on extending unemployment benefits come out of the House of Representatives this week — maybe even today.

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said last week that without an extension of federal unemployment benefits, the U.S. faced the threat of a double-dip recession. Pelosi told the Huffington Post that to meet the demands of deficit hawks, Democrats might agree to offset the cost of the spending, even though by doing so she believes the stimulative effects on the economy of an extension would be negated.

The jobless look to Washington D.C. for federal unemployment benefit extension before July 4 break | MLive.com

I can't predict what will happen this week so it makes no point to stress over it. You have to remember we are in an election year and that can either tempt people to drag this out or put pressure on people to vote for it. It comes down to each individual politician, their constituency, and if they are up for re-election. Ultimately I believe it will pass.

But let's not worry about next week until this week is over. This week just started.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAnthony View Post
Damn.. If shes introducing it today, I would be surprised if it gets tabled for discussion this week.. Only the July 4th holiday could get them to move now... And they are off Friday. To me, looks doubtful to get passed into law this week.

What is the HR #? Anyone know? So I can read the fine print.
And the House's schedule shows no plans for Thursday and Friday.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM

377 posts, read 588,998 times
Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow to introduce standalone unemployment extension bill | MLive.com

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) and her fellow Maine senator Susan Collins are expected to support a standalone bill. They voted against the larger jobs bill last week because of provisions they believed to be detrimental to small business.

Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, who voted with Republicans against last week's tax extender bill, is not expected to support a standalone bill that adds to the budget deficit.

Because of the death of West Virginian Democratic Senator Robert Byrd (http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/28/west-virginia-law-makes-byrd-replacement-process-and-timing-murky-as-financial-regulation-bill-hangs-in-senate/ - broken link) earlier today, Democrats will have to win the support of one more Republican senator in addition to the two senators from Maine in order to get the 60 votes needed for cloture.

I wonder who the third republican will be. Seems to me there is a lot of momentum to get this passed. Many of us that last week it was just done for, but it's Monday and they seem to be moving forward.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM

107 posts, read 159,914 times
i hope they do..thanks for all the info everyone..i'm done looking online for jobs..applied to 3 more today..it's annoying seeing the same jobs online everyday and no one calling me back after i apply. it's a joke.. i just got an email 2 days ago from a job i applied for 6 months ago saying thank you for applying but they went with someone else..all my qualifications and i didn't even get an interview

Old 06-28-2010, 03:45 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow to introduce standalone unemployment extension bill | MLive.com

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) and her fellow Maine senator Susan Collins are expected to support a standalone bill. They voted against the larger jobs bill last week because of provisions they believed to be detrimental to small business.

Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, who voted with Republicans against last week's tax extender bill, is not expected to support a standalone bill that adds to the budget deficit.

Because of the death of West Virginian Democratic Senator Robert Byrd (http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/28/west-virginia-law-makes-byrd-replacement-process-and-timing-murky-as-financial-regulation-bill-hangs-in-senate/ - broken link) earlier today, Democrats will have to win the support of one more Republican senator in addition to the two senators from Maine in order to get the 60 votes needed for cloture.

I wonder who the third republican will be. Seems to me there is a lot of momentum to get this passed. Many of us that last week it was just done for, but it's Monday and they seem to be moving forward.
My bet is on Scott Brown.......he's going to start to realize that Massachusetts is not Utah or Wyoming

Old 06-28-2010, 03:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post

I think many last week said that 4213 was done for. I think most still feel that an extension will pass, just not 4213.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:05 PM

299 posts, read 903,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ix3623 View Post
i hope they do..thanks for all the info everyone..i'm done looking online for jobs..applied to 3 more today..it's annoying seeing the same jobs online everyday and no one calling me back after i apply. it's a joke.. i just got an email 2 days ago from a job i applied for 6 months ago saying thank you for applying but they went with someone else..all my qualifications and i didn't even get an interview
Online job applications are a joke. About the only way you will be able to find something decent online is through craigslist. IMO, submitting an application online is like buying a lottery ticket. Hopefully they will pick your numbers.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ix3623 View Post
please post the latest information here as well as other helpful info (people who called unemployment for eb..what they've been told, etc..)

below was just posted a few minutes ago for today

Stabenow to Introduce Standalone UI Extension Bill

Stabenow to Introduce Standalone UI Extension Bill « The Washington Independent
If you read the article linked above, you will see that it has been corrected to say that Stabenow had previously introduced this stand-alone bill. In fact, this bill -- originally introduce on June 22 -- was reported on here in another thread over the weekend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
While we are awaiting word from the House on stand-alone legislation, I prepared this summary of two bills still pending in the Senate to give you a sense of where things stand now...

There are two different bills still pending in the Senate that isolate the extension of federal unemployment benefits. I have summarized them below.

Basically, Reid did not want to break the UI provisions out of the tax extenders, so neither bill went anywhere. But both are still viable and can be revived for amendment, consideration, and debate at any time.

(1) S.3420.IS: Essentially, Grassley's bill provides temporary [30-day] extensions into July - a deadline that which would probably be lengthened further at this stage. Because Grassley's bill was introduced in May, it has a few more programs in addition to unemployment benefits (so they would probably be trimmed if the bill is raised for reconsideration). Grassley's unemployment benefits include: (a) the EUC Tiers; (b) 100% funding for EB; and (c) the COBRA premium subsidy. No extension of the eligibility cut-off date for the $25 weekly FAC payment. And, of course, the programs in Grassley's bill are "pay-go" -- entirely paid for by Stimulus Funds.

(2) S.3520: Stabenow's bill re-extends the eligibility cut-off dates through December 31, 2010. Because her bill was introduced in June, it covers federal unemployment benefits solely. Stabenow's unemployment benefits include: (a) the EUC Tiers; and (b) 100% funding for EB. No extension of the eligibility cut-off dates for the COBRA premium subsidy or for the $25 weekly FAC payment. The bill recommends that the programs be treated as "emergency expenses" -- however, it leaves the final funding decision to the Senate Budget Committee (so there's a "little wiggle room" there for compromise).
Quote:
[I.] S.3420.IS - Protecting Against Indebting our Descendants through Fully Offset Relief (PAID FOR) Temporary Extension Act of 2010
Introduced on 05/25/2010, by Sentor Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).

This bill includes: (a) temporary extension of certain federal unemployment benefits program; (b) Medicare physician payment update ("doc fix" - already passed as stand-alone legislation); (c) extension of flood insurance program; (d) small business loan guarantee

For Federal Unemployment Benefits -- extends eligibility cut-off dates for:
• EUC Tiers to July 7, 2010
• 100% federal funding for EB to July 7, 2010
• COBRA premium subsidy to June 30, 2010
[Note: eligibility cut-off date for $25 weekly FAC payment not extended.]

Effective dates:
All extensions retroactive to May/June 2010 cut-off dates in prior legislation.

Sources of funding:
All programs considered as "Pay-Go" -- to be underwritten by Stimulus Fund
Quote:
[II.] S.3520 - Unemployment Insurance Extension Act of 2010
Introduced on 06/22/2010, by Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich).

This bill includes only extensions of certain unemployment benefits programs.

For Federal Unemployment Benefits -- extends eligibility cut-off dates for:
• EUC Tiers to December 31, 2010
• 100% federal funding for EB to December 31, 2010
[Note: eligibility cut-off dates for COBRA premium subsidy and for $25 weekly FAC payment not extended.]

Effective dates:
All extensions retroactive to May/June 2010 cut-off dates in prior legislation.

Sources of funding:
All programs tentatively suggested as "emergency spending" -- but bill states that final determination of emergency funding versus pay-go funding will be determined by the Senate Budget Committee's review of both considerations (a little "wiggle room" for compromise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment