Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 40,723 times

Advertisements

It has been exactly one year since my original claim. I am currently on my tier 2 extension with NJ unemployment and have a balance left. I always file for my continued benefits online but had a problem last week. It said that my benefits had been exhausted so I called in and claimed over the phone with no problems. So, today, I go to pay some bills only to see that I never received that money. I called them and a lady said that my benefits had expired and I needed to file a new claim. I didn't understand why since I had a balance but she only told me that I needed to file a new claim. I asked her if I could do it online and she said yes. So, I did. I noticed that it said to "reopen and existing claim" so I thought I was doing the right thing. But, after completing the new claim I noticed that it said NOT to use that claim for extended benefits. Isn't that what I'm on, being that i'm in tier 2? So, now I am freaking out that I did the wrong thing and can't call in to fix it until tomorrow because I realized it after hours. Does anyone know if I did the wrong thing? And, if it was indeed the wrong thing to do, will it hurt my chances of getting back into my tier 2? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilletti View Post
It has been exactly one year since my original claim. I am currently on my tier 2 extension with NJ unemployment and have a balance left. I always file for my continued benefits online but had a problem last week. It said that my benefits had been exhausted so I called in and claimed over the phone with no problems. So, today, I go to pay some bills only to see that I never received that money. I called them and a lady said that my benefits had expired and I needed to file a new claim. I didn't understand why since I had a balance but she only told me that I needed to file a new claim. I asked her if I could do it online and she said yes. So, I did. I noticed that it said to "reopen and existing claim" so I thought I was doing the right thing. But, after completing the new claim I noticed that it said NOT to use that claim for extended benefits. Isn't that what I'm on, being that i'm in tier 2? So, now I am freaking out that I did the wrong thing and can't call in to fix it until tomorrow because I realized it after hours. Does anyone know if I did the wrong thing? And, if it was indeed the wrong thing to do, will it hurt my chances of getting back into my tier 2? Please help!
First of all -- don't worry. Lots of people have had this issue in NJ.
• Everyone has to re-certify at their one year anniversary. Until you re-certify, the system freezes your account. The system will continue to accept your bi-weekly claim, but no payment will be released.

• The NJ system will not accept re-certification on line. You must speak directly with an agent to re-certify.

• The process is simple: You contact an agent. Explain that it is your one-year anniversary and that you need to re-certify. While you are on the phone, the agent will check to see if you qualify for a new claim. If you do not qualify for a new claim, your current claim is immediately reopened. The agent then arranges for your payments to continue where they left off. If you are owed any back weeks (for which you filed while your account was frozen), you will be paid retroactively.

• Anything you did on line already can be undone by an agent -- but you need to talk with them ASAP. As I mentioned, you'll get no payments until an agent re-certifies you and manually reopens your account.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 40,723 times
Thank you so much for your reply! I have been trying to get through all morning and I just get a busy signal or a "call back later" message. I really hope I can get through today, I really want to get this taken care of. Thanks for helping me chill out a little

Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 16,631 times
My benfits run out in April, Do I have to file for an extention or will I get one automatically.I heard they dont give out extentions anymore Also is it for the same amount or less. Can some one help me I am getting scared I already am losing my home.

Can someone please email me at supernaut44@verizon.net and help me out

Old 03-18-2012, 04:41 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Congress has extended the benefits to the end of 2012. Ignore outdated NJ website info or any statement to the contrary you might receive from a NJ rep.

If your claim qualifies for federal extensions, you automatically begin those when you have exhausted your state benefits. In NJ, base year wages used to establish your claim need to equal 40x your weekly benefit to qualify.

KEEP CLAIMING. New Jersey will transition you automatically.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM

so what you are saying is when I run out keep claiming. I just take a bite for two weeks cause my last check is only half my amount. Does it stay at the same rate.

Thank you for the fast reply, I have been freaking out...and I am not lazy, I am looking for a job.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:51 PM

what do you mean "if my claim qualifies" and how long is the extention for?

Thank you so so much for your time and help

Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
I am assuming you began your claim last October. If April 7th is the end of your first benefit year, then you will need to call NJ to RECERTIFY your claim. This is a routine procedure. You will continue on your first claim tier benefits.

If, instead, you are exhausting state benefits and are about to begin the federal extensions, the following applies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordesbaby View Post
so what you are saying is when I run out keep claiming. I just take a bite for two weeks cause my last check is only half my amount. Does it stay at the same rate.
Your last check of NJ state benefits will be for one week. You should not experience a gap in payments since you'll be getting the last week one week early. In future, you will resume biweekly claiming for two weeks' benefits. Your weekly benefit rate does not change.
Quote:
what do you mean "if my claim qualifies"
Already answered here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If your claim qualifies for federal extensions, you automatically begin those when you have exhausted your state benefits. In NJ, base year wages used to establish your claim need to equal 40x your weekly benefit to qualify.
Quote:
how long is the extention for?
Tier I pays up to 20 weeks. If your original state benefits paid 26 weeks, you should qualify for 20 weeks on Tier I. Otherwise, Tier I pays 80% of your original monetary determination. Find the monetary determination letter from NJ if you are not sure, or call or visit them.

Also, please read FAQS at the top of this board. Second post explains federal extension program as it exists now. Last post explains changes coming as the year progresses and how tier benefits are calculated now and later in the year.

Just keep claiming.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks....I started exactly as you said in October and it was my first claim. I will just continue claiming

Thank you

Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 13,395 times
Default Recertifying

Hi,

So I called into the unemployment center on friday since my benefit year was ending this week. I talked to a rep who told me that I did not qualify for a new claim based on my wages and that she would go ahead and continue me on my old claim so I could continue collecting my extended benefits. Fast forward to today (sunday) and when I tried to claim online it told me that my benefit year had been exhausted and that I needed to call in to have my claim restarted. Does it take a while for the claim to register in their online system?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment