Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM

125 posts, read 280,167 times

Advertisements

I tried to claim benefits today and it said I could not but would receive credit. I remembered wannabee saying something about refiling annually. i have hit a year so i refiled online. Has anyone else done this? did I do the right thing? Is there another interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM

I got info on another thread that I need to call in to speak to a rep. Spent 40 minutes on hold only to finally reach someone and, yes, get cut off. So it's off to the unemployment office I go!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,675 times
Default For anyone approaching one year of unemployment

BYE - The Benefit Year Ending date (BYE) is the date your unemployment insurance claim ends and you can no longer collect benefits on that claim. If you remain unemployed after the BYE date and you had employment in the past year YOU MAY qualify for a new claim. If you have NOT had any employment in that time you re-open the existing claim. Either way -speak to an agent.

If you do not re-open after the BYE date you will hear "your claim is not payable at this time - you will receive credit for the weeks claimed" every time you call to claim your weeks.

Once you re-open, it releases those 'credited' checks.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM

This is incredibly valuable info, which is NOT provided by the State and did not come up on their site or on any Google search, but it is quite true. It wasn't a hard thing to do (once I got through the labyrinth of calls not being accepted, finally getting through then getting cut off anf after another 48 minutes on hold, at last speaking to someone who was very helpful.
According to live person, my claim will be paid as usual. But if I had not remembered wannabee's previous advice, I wouldn't ever have thought to reopen the claim.
Now, to sweat the 2/27/10 EUC cut-off. I know I'll receive the balance of my Tier II, but if there's no congressional action, I won't make it to Tier III.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM

You are so lucky! They have same-day service now? You got done in one day what it took me three days to do!

- FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS RE-OPEN THEIR NJ UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIM ONLINE -

Last edited by wannabee; 02-09-2010 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: thought of something funny

Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Well, thanks a lot, wannabee. Now I am convinced the claim won't go through after all. (lol) And I have no way of knowing until it does or doesn't appear in my account.
It actually took two calls. I spoke to one person who barely seemed to understand what I was saying. She put me on hold, then dropped the call. The second woman asked my social right away and seemed to know what I meant when I said I had made a mistake online. She said she needed to determine if I qualified for a new claim (so I guess it must have shown up that I tried to reopen online). She asked me a few questions, put me on hold for about four minutes then came back on and said "Okay, you're all set. You're back on the extension. You claimed for w/e 1/30 and w/e 2/6/10 (which I had already done by phone and didn't go through). That will go out tomorrow". So it sure seemed like she knew what she was talking about.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 PM

No fair Bear! You are 1 for 2. I had to talk to three of them. I am 1 for 3. Maybe they are getting their act together. Right.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 AM

The direct deposit was in this morning as usual, so yes- second woman did her job.
Remember, though, it took me 2 hours to even get in the waiting queue. Then i got a live person who didn't seem to have any idea what I was calling about, put me on hold for 15 minutes then lost the call. Back to trying to get onto the waiting queue, 25 minute wait- the the woman who solved it all.
My only regret was not getting the employee info of the woman I finally dealt with. She eas truly pleasant and apparently did everything correctly.
Now to follow whether EUC gets extended, or check into EB.
Best to wannabee and Wendy- both of whom got me through another round of the crazies!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 AM

18 posts, read 43,970 times
Can the annual refiling be done on line or must you chance getting someone on the phone that cannot direct you to how to do this?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzie59 View Post
Can the annual refiling be done on line or must you chance getting someone on the phone that cannot direct you to how to do this?
Do NOT do this online! You have to call and speak to a person, or head to the nearest office.
The first person I spoke to didn't seem to understand, and cut me off. However, from the moment I found out my claim wouldn't go through, until it actually did, didn't take me longer than a couple of hours on the phone. Not a bad trade off.
Again, this if for NJ only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment