Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 PM

8 posts, read 11,298 times

Advertisements

i've seen comments from others stating their payments are over $500 each week. FL maxes out at $275. Why is there such a discrepancy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Texas View Post
i've seen comments from others stating their payments are over $500 each week. FL maxes out at $275. Why is there such a discrepancy?
Great question; must be they think sunshine is a bonus!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Brace yourself. In MA, it can be as high as $942 week.

Individual states determine their rates based on their budgets, political priorities and cost of living. Some states such as MA and IL also provide dependency allowances in addition to the basic benefits - and some states provide extra benefits under the category of disability if claimant is or becomes pregnant while collecting unemployment benefits.

Here is link comparing the states:

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State | File Unemployment

In WI, max is $363. No dependent allowances, no disability provisions, nada.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM

186 posts, read 365,676 times
Quote:
because the cost of living is cheaper in some states when compared to others..houses cost less, taxes are less...especially in florida, etc..

Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM

wow. reading that chart made me nuts. the cost of living in miami is alot higher than many cities in those higher paying states.

one of the other things i don't understand is that the article states FL pays out longer than most states - 79 weeks - but i've been told by them over the phone that i will only receive 62 weeks at the most.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
because the cost of living is cheaper in some states when compared to others..houses cost less, taxes are less...especially in florida, etc..
i guess it depends on where you live. i can tell you miami is not cheap at all.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
one of the other things i don't understand is that the article states FL pays out longer than most states - 79 weeks - but i've been told by them over the phone that i will only receive 62 weeks at the most.
Were you eligible for the full 26 weeks' state benefits? If not, then subsequent tier and EB benefits are prorated accordingly.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
i guess it depends on where you live. i can tell you miami is not cheap at all.
Keep in mind you are in a Republican state heavily populated with retired people. Low taxes are why they have retired to Florida in addition to the weather. You also have a lot of low-paid immigrant labor in Fla. Cost of living is the last consideration, if at all, after budget and political priorities. NE liberal states are the best when it comes to safety nets. Way ahead of the rest of the country. South is the worst.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Were you eligible for the full 26 weeks' state benefits? If not, then subsequent tier and EB benefits are prorated accordingly.
yes i did receive the full 26. but then the tiers were for a shorter period of time than i saw listed on various websites...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Keep in mind you are in a Republican state heavily populated with retired people. Low taxes are why they have retired to Florida in addition to the weather. You also have a lot of low-paid immigrant labor in Fla. Cost of living is the last consideration, if at all, after budget and political priorities. NE liberal states are the best when it comes to safety nets. Way ahead of the rest of the country. South is the worst.
yeah...i'm actually in texas now, which is also republican with low taxes. but i see that TX actually pays over $100 more per week than FL does.

oh well. i should just shut up and be grateful that i'm getting anything at all!

i know that i'll be facing more employment problems in the future; my husband is in the military and so every time we get stationed to another base i'll have to leave whatever job i have (assuming i get one!) and there are several states that do not allow for military spouses to collect UI when they are forced to leave their jobs.

thanks for all the answers, everyone. i appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment