Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,685,683 times

Advertisements

It seems like no matter how hard I try, nothing ever works for me. I have been unemployed since 2009. I do freelance work that doesn't pay the bills. I am stuck in my parents house in a small town that I hate. I hate my life and feel like nothing will ever change. No matter how hard I try, I can't get a damn job. I have applied at every freakin McDonalds around, so don't give me bull crap about being lazy. I swear, suicide seems like the only way out right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM

355 posts, read 870,367 times
How old are you? Depending on your age you may have a lot of options. Have you considered joining the military? That is a much more productive thing to do with yourself than committing suicide.

Talk to your family and friends. I know it sounds cliche, but networking really is key.

Learn a new skill and then be your own boss. Some common start ups are making and selling things like pizza, baked goods, and even just having your own hot dog cart and frequenting late night hang outs and construction sites with it.

The main thing is to not get so distraught, and KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,201,285 times
I posted this for you in another thread you started, take a look at the AmeriCorps it might have something for you...

I know exactly how you feel...try not to lose hope...there is something out there for you. The AmeriCorps might have something that interests you...May also cover cost of relocation...Take a look, you never know...
Hang in there!

Snip:

AmeriCorps is an opportunity to make a big difference in your life and in the lives of those around you. It’s a chance to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community.

Benefits of Service

As an AmeriCorps member, you’ll gain new skills and experiences—and you’ll also find the tremendous satisfaction that comes from helping others. In addition, full-time members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for college, graduate school, or to pay back qualified student loans; members who serve part-time receive a partial Award. Some AmeriCorps members may also receive a modest living allowance during their term of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
It seems like no matter how hard I try, nothing ever works for me. I have been unemployed since 2009. I do freelance work that doesn't pay the bills. I am stuck in my parents house in a small town that I hate. I hate my life and feel like nothing will ever change. No matter how hard I try, I can't get a damn job. I have applied at every freakin McDonalds around, so don't give me bull crap about being lazy. I swear, suicide seems like the only way out right now.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 AM

60 posts, read 166,860 times
Quote:
You can always try medications. Your PCP can give you those, no need to see a psychiatrist.

the only thing to keep in mind is that the medications wont give you a job, they will just make your life less miserable.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 AM

52 posts, read 137,614 times
Keep your head up Redroses. Stay strong!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,229,528 times
Do you have any friends or relatives in a larger nearby town or city? A larger city or town might offer better job opportunities for you. If you are able to get a job, maybe you could stay with them temporarily until you save up for your own place. Also, consider other marketing strategies for promoting your freelance services.

Another note, be careful of the thoughts you put into your head (i.e., suicide), because you start becoming what you focus on the most. Remember, where you want to be in life starts in your mind. You have to first picture yourself happy and fulfilled before it can become reality.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Do you have any friends or relatives in a larger nearby town or city? A larger city or town might offer better job opportunities for you. If you are able to get a job, maybe you could stay with them temporarily until you save up for your own place. Also, consider other marketing strategies for promoting your freelance services.

Another note, be careful of the thoughts you put into your head (i.e., suicide), because you start becoming what you focus on the most. Remember, where you want to be in life starts in your mind. You have to first picture yourself happy and fulfilled before it can become reality.
No, I don't. It is hard for me to live in a small town/rural area because I get SICK all the time. I have learned that pesticides used on many farms trigger my asthma badly. I am just dreading another summer here because I can't afford medical care and live off my albuterol every growing season here. I use my inhaler four-five times a day when growing seasons starts here in this small town in Indiana.

You don't qualify for medical help in Indiana if you are single and childless.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
No, I don't. It is hard for me to live in a small town/rural area because I get SICK all the time. I have learned that pesticides used on many farms trigger my asthma badly. I am just dreading another summer here because I can't afford medical care and live off my albuterol every growing season here. I use my inhaler four-five times a day when growing seasons starts here in this small town in Indiana.

You don't qualify for medical help in Indiana if you are single and childless.
What type of work do you do?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
What type of work do you do?
I was a teacher, but I have decided I am going to look at CNA training and possibly nursing school in the spring. The nearest accelerated BSN doesn't start until then. If not nursing, I am also interested in sleep medicine.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM

That's great. The CNA training will definitely open up a lot more work opportunities for you.

Also, you can take your current teaching background and experience and transfer those skills into a corporate training position.

At my previous company, there were three people who had previously been teachers (elementary and high school), and they are now all corporate training assistants. In addition, one of these individuals had also been unemployed for a year and had no family or friends in the Atlanta area. They accepted the job, moved in a "pay by the week" hotel -- stayed there for a month and then moved into their own apartment.

I am praying that the LORD opens a new door for you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment