Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,779,469 times

Advertisements

Well, suicide is not an out; you do this and you go to Hell which will be endless torture.

I'm having a tough time too being unemployed since Aug 15 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 AM

104 posts, read 638,319 times
Yeah, I feel the same. I just don't know what else to to do. Husband has been unemployed since 2010. Really bummed because he had an interview a couple of weeks ago that went GREAT, got good feedback, they loved him, etc, then selected someone else. Can't sell the house & move...underwater...can't rent it and move....totally frustrated, angry, hopeless...anything else you can name. And he is very diligent about applying, sending follow up letters, netrworking, has good interview skills, etc. I can't see anything where he is falling short. Just don't know what else to do, as we can't survive off one income in the house we are in.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,015,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
Yeah, I feel the same. I just don't know what else to to do. Husband has been unemployed since 2010. Really bummed because he had an interview a couple of weeks ago that went GREAT, got good feedback, they loved him, etc, then selected someone else. Can't sell the house & move...underwater...can't rent it and move....totally frustrated, angry, hopeless...anything else you can name. And he is very diligent about applying, sending follow up letters, netrworking, has good interview skills, etc. I can't see anything where he is falling short. Just don't know what else to do, as we can't survive off one income in the house we are in.
Can/will your mortgage company work with you about lowering payments?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 AM

104 posts, read 638,319 times
Hi Soda120, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I did do that I remarkably they did, it's just still not at a level I can do alone.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,015,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
Hi Soda120, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I did do that I remarkably they did, it's just still not at a level I can do alone.
Welcome.

Is there a website called "Hardest Hit" that offers more mortgage relief options? If so, it's worth a try.

Hmmm, anything you can eliminate to ease the financial stress? Maybe cable, Blackberry phone, etc?

Having those "luxuries" are great, but sometimes too expensive for our pockets.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM

644 posts, read 1,147,969 times
OP, I know how you feel and I have been feeling suicidal myself. It seems like everytime I get somewhere, I always have the carpet pulled from underneath obody around me right now is going through the same thing, so it's hard for me to get support from them.

Hang in there, OP, it's you got somebody that understands.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM

878 posts, read 1,659,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post

The main thing is to not get so distraught, and KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE!
Good advice.

I was laid off in Nov. '09... out of work for 10 months, got a job in Sept. 2010, laid off in Jan. 2011. I was living off Georgia's whopping maximum unemployment of $330 a week... paying the bills and having $20 a week left over if I was lucky. I was falling behind on bills, eating off the $1 menu... 2 months behind on a car payment, 1 month behind rent as of May 1st, 2011.

I did a nationwide job search that day... found a machinist position in WA state for which I was qualified for... jumped through hoops for 2 weeks, got the offer. It was an unpaid offer but I borrowed some money from family to finance the cross country trip.

I left on May 17th, arrived on May 22nd, started work May 27th. I was hired perm on October 17th. My 2012 benefits kicked in January 1st... 3 weeks of vacation, a week of sick time, health insurance, 401k, monthly bonuses to the tune of $200-$300 in addition to my pay. I made close to $35k in 6 months.

Maybe I got lucky, but the big thing is I didn't give up. Yes the economy is bad but I am living proof that good things can happen...

Old 11-14-2015, 08:08 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,848,515 times
Can you save or borrow money and relocate? Small towns are not where the jobs are....

Hang in there. Many years ago I was struggling to find work, making 16k a year. Now I make 150k a year, at a job I never applied for...

Think, where can you go to get work in your field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment