Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,270 times

Advertisements

Many people usually use resources like craigslist and other job search websites when looking for jobs. However, several people believe that networking is crucial to moving forward in one's career and finding jobs in general. Some people rely strictly on their network of friends/acquaintances to look for jobs. What do you think? Is it really all about who you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorteh View Post
Many people usually use resources like craigslist and other job search websites when looking for jobs. However, several people believe that networking is crucial to moving forward in one's career and finding jobs in general. Some people rely strictly on their network of friends/acquaintances to look for jobs. What do you think? Is it really all about who you know?
I would not say it's 100% of finding a job, but generally employers will hire people they know. I recently got a new job because I had a connection within that place of business.

If you are out of work, sending resumes by the 1000s is fine and it may land you an interview, but always stay involve---go volunteer--you never know who you are going to meet.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,581 posts, read 81,186,228 times
If not for finding a job, it helps to have contacts that you can use as references.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
It's both. You have to cast as wide a net as possible. many jobs are never listed anywhere, some with recruiters and some are posted online.

The job I currently have, I got after seeing it posted online but someone in my network on Linkedin was connected to someone who worked there. That person helped give me tips on who the hiring manager and his boss were and what they were looking for. Also mentioned me to the hiring manager. Pretty much the only way to stand out among 180 resumes.

My previous job I has I got via a recruiter with MRI Network who I called and had been hired fill the position. At the same time I was also offered another job (hey this was 2007 ;-) ) with a company who I knew by working with them in the past so it was purely networking.

I've also been called straight out a few times by recruiters when I was not even looking one of which led to a job change.

I see no reason to eliminate any potential avenue when you are looking.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times
According to some information I found, only 7% of jobs are landed via online sites, maybe 13% through recruiters. The rest are internal referrals. I think networking is great if you are peg in a hole and can really sell yourself or talk yourself up. You have to say something to get people to remember you and most of the time it's some cheesy crap that should make you sick. Like you read some book and want to share this wisdom. Ha, it's totally fake bs. And trying to find quality contacts from people who actively network is another challenge. Lot's of people selling you the key to "networking." So if your focused, know exactly what you want to do and where, you should network. But get in and get out. A strategic attack.
Because there is no network for "I'll do anything legal for $x per hour."
So make sure you are ready to sell and have focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment