Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,337,525 times

Advertisements

With this early mornings passing of Joe Paterno, at age 85, I'm really beggening to wonder if being unemployed is hazardous to ones health.

Also with the recent passing of Andy Rooney, at age 92, weeks after being let go by 60 minutes...again brings to my attention the relationship between working, or staying busy and productive, and ones over all health...

Here these two men were...Andy 92, Joe Paterno, 85, both working along, in apparent good health, until both were dismissed from their jobs...then suddenly withing days, weeks or months, both mens health suddenly deteriate and they pass.

Is there a connection here?

I think so...and I think it's more apparent at their age do to the fact that any impact not working has on the soul, spirit and body, has a more devistating effect on the elderly do to weaker immune or defense.

I don't think it's the job itself that can be connected to longevity, but rather activity and purpose.

I remember NASA did an experiment once with bees...and other insects...
They took them into orbit...and the insects simply died, do to lack of purpose...they had no 'function' or couldn't perform it, and so their bodies just shut down.
I remember reading about that experiment years ago...and it's always remainded in my memory...cause it says a lot about us, people, and life in general...and that is, we're designed for purpose, for activity...and when we stop feeling we have purpose, it seems to effect our health...

retirement

There have been a few other high profile deaths of famous people who seemed all but fine, until either forced to retire or left on their own, only to die, perish, within days, or weeks of leaving job...

When I look at my own life...I do notice when employed, and working around others, and talking, interacting with others on a daily basis that employment brings you, that my over all health seems to improve...

Yet when unemployed for long periods of time, and or isolated...I notice my over all health declines on 3 levels...

1. Moral
2. Physiological
3. Spiritual

When your unemployed, often your physical health declines do to inactivity, over eating and possibly drinking...

When your laid off and not working...you may start drinking in excess...since you don't have to report to work...what's it matter if your drunk by 1 pm...
And since your not at work...what's it matter if you eat all day out of boredomn...
I can see where all this can have an accumalitive effect...

Also not being happy for long periods of time can lower ones immune system...I've read where laughing and being happy actually causes your body to release hormones into your system that boost your immune system...happiness helps fight of disease and illness...

Laughter is the best medicine

And even helps prevent heart disease...

Anyways...I just find the relationship between unemployment or lack of activity in ones life, and health, to be interesting...

I don't think people need employment to be active...not even...
But often what occurs is when ones unemployed...unless they have $100,000 dollars saved up...the spending stops or slows...

A sensible person will not go out and spend money, if they have none coming in...so instead you focus only on the essentials...food, shelter, gas, utilities...and months of that can make for a very bland existance...

Again...if you had 1 million dollars at your disposal...I don't think being unemployed would have the same effect...cause you'd have 1 million dollars to fund your activities or hobbies with...

I think the main thing is activity and purpose...and for some, being unemployed seperates them from that...and given a long enough period of time, can degrade health...

Solution?

Stay busy...even if unemployed, stay busy...volunteer, excercise, pick up trash around neighborhood ect ect...

The main thing is to stay busy and not to isolate oneself from others during these times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM

19 posts, read 56,105 times
I feel the exact same way. I gave up looking for a job after resume #600 was sent out. All the jobs have gone overseas to communist countries like China and India. Instead I am retraining myself to make money online and have been successful at doing so. I think in the end, that is what we all will have to do to survive. Create our own jobs. And...stay active. Everything I do now is focused on creating revenue for myself online rather than doing nothing which is what many on welfare are doing...nothing.

As they say, Mr. Money is on Focus Island.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM

114 posts, read 495,723 times
I think Betty White turned 90 and still active, you can bet when she retires shes as good as gone to.

Quote:
I remember NASA did an experiment once with bees...and other insects...
They took them into orbit...and the insects simply died, do to lack of purpose...they had no 'function' or couldn't perform it, and so their bodies just shut down.
I remember reading about that experiment years ago...and it's always remainded in my memory...cause it says a lot about us, people, and life in general...and that is, we're designed for purpose, for activity...and when we stop feeling we have purpose, it seems to effect our health...
I do believe this, I think sick people die because they give up and think they have no purpose.

We have seen some sick people that would be given certain time period to live, 20 years later still be alive.

The fact that we only use a real small percentage of our brain according to science suggest that is the center of how we live, we tap into that portions of the brain at times that is normally unused.

I have always theorized also the Brain is capable of so much power we cannot comprehend, using it is a challenge, I believe the Brain is very capable of self healing the body of ailments, diseases, anything.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Freight brokering is a great way to make money while at home...as long as one has the bond money to put up...
The transportation industry is doing pretty well...and either getting a broker license or being a broker agent...is a great way to make a living at home...if your an agent...you don't need the bond money...but can still make pretty good money...

Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 244,272 times
how do you become a broker agent?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM

142 posts, read 568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothesayer9 View Post
I feel the exact same way. I gave up looking for a job after resume #600 was sent out. All the jobs have gone overseas to communist countries like China and India. Instead I am retraining myself to make money online and have been successful at doing so. I think in the end, that is what we all will have to do to survive. Create our own jobs. And...stay active. Everything I do now is focused on creating revenue for myself online rather than doing nothing which is what many on welfare are doing...nothing.

As they say, Mr. Money is on Focus Island.
I agree - you're definitely on the right track.

Working for yourself is the way to go (that is, if you can sustain yourself on what you're making). Im most cases, you'll never gain financial freedom working for someone else, rather you'll work to make that 'someone else' rich.

Start small, and if you find success, keep building - you might be surprised. What some call "stupid inventions", have made 10's of millions alone.

Here is just an example:

15 Crazy Ways People Make Money in Today

Best of luck on your on-line endeavors.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat22 View Post
how do you become a broker agent?
Well the short answer would be forms, and fees....

That's the short and easy...

Forms and fees...and 'proof'....

In other words before FMCAS (or something like that) will process your form and accept your fee...you must proove to them you have A,B, and C in order...

Tell ya what i'll do for you...i'll send you a DM in the near future...and I'll give you the link to my own cheap site...where I will tell you anything you want to know about how to become a broker or broker agent...

I have all the info...but kind of ran into a road block...but it's a road block I can over come with a little time...

The good thing about the admin side of logistics...is your getting the 'first cut'....

Where as a driver may have to drive for 4 days to make, what you earn in 15 minutes...

And that's just one load....say you broker 2-7 loads in one day...and assign each of those loads to different drivers...so now you've made anywhere from $300-1000 in one day (while at home watching football)...collectively...where as a driver can only earn what one load pays...

And you can do all this at home...it's legit, and the logistics field is growing...expecially as the rest of the world wakes up...new ports, freight, demand exports, imports...

It's one of those things most people just don't share with others...but I'm not most people...

We'll chat again soon...

Old 01-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Well the short answer would be forms, and fees....

That's the short and easy...

Forms and fees...and 'proof'....

In other words before FMCAS (or something like that) will process your form and accept your fee...you must proove to them you have A,B, and C in order...

Tell ya what i'll do for you...i'll send you a DM in the near future...and I'll give you the link to my own cheap site...where I will tell you anything you want to know about how to become a broker or broker agent...

I have all the info...but kind of ran into a road block...but it's a road block I can over come with a little time...

The good thing about the admin side of logistics...is your getting the 'first cut'....

Where as a driver may have to drive for 4 days to make, what you earn in 15 minutes...

And that's just one load....say you broker 2-7 loads in one day...and assign each of those loads to different drivers...so now you've made anywhere from $300-1000 in one day (while at home watching football)...collectively...where as a driver can only earn what one load pays...

And you can do all this at home...it's legit, and the logistics field is growing...expecially as the rest of the world wakes up...new ports, freight, demand exports, imports...

It's one of those things most people just don't share with others...but I'm not most people...

We'll chat again soon...
Where does all of that begin? like what does this job actually do?

Is it something like finding shipping companies for the companies who want to ship or something?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
Where does all of that begin? like what does this job actually do?

Is it something like finding shipping companies for the companies who want to ship or something?
Yes...there are sites out there where brokers subrcibe to, that have 1000's of different shippers, and carrier access...

Every broker needs that....

Kind of like how independent truck drivers look to load boards, that brokers or broker agents, post available loads on...

Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Yes...there are sites out there where brokers subrcibe to, that have 1000's of different shippers, and carrier access...

Every broker needs that....

Kind of like how independent truck drivers look to load boards, that brokers or broker agents, post available loads on...
how does 1 get started and what are the requirements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment