Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: did you win a hearing in ca, if you quit because of reduced hours?
yes 0 0%
no 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM

34 posts, read 54,969 times

Advertisements

ok, has anyone here in california won at a hearing, because they were not called in to work and therefore quit?

it was on call work with the sub pool bigger than than employee pool. august i made $90. and $125 in september. and that was more than my friends. who here quit because they took a huge hit in earnings and won your appeal?

just interested odds wise,

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Quiting because of a reduction in hours can be a tough sell in some states and in my state AZ, it's not good cause at all.

You have to turn it into something else. When your hours are cut, quite often you lose your benefits, and that translates to a reduction in compensation that is good cause. Also, when you're working very short hours, your transportation expenses can be such a disportionate amount of your earnings that you can establish good cause. If the reduction in hours causes you to give up your residence to move some place else that you can afford and it's far enough away from your job, that can be made into good cause.

I just suggest that you make the reduction hours the last reason for quitting rather than the first. In prior thread, you said your health insurance was worth $12,000/year. The risk of losing that vs. the $1080 you were getting in salary means that what the school did to you was 12000/13080 = 91.7% reduction in salary. You only need a 20% reduction in salary to be a good cause quit.

Now, they will ask you what you did to adjust your grievance, and you can say, "when i asked why my health insurance was cut, they told me I could only get it back was to retire. Therefore, to keep a benefit I had always had, I had to quit."

Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Good CA resources, here:

Voluntary Quit VQ 5 - Elements of a Voluntary Quit

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents

Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM

34 posts, read 54,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

yes, i've printed this out. it's very helpful. i'm just curious how the latest rulings have been going.

and chyvan, thanks for putting the right words in my mouth.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Don't worry about CA. If you're denied initially because of a lazy examiner, you will most likely win on appeal.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM

19 posts, read 61,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Don't worry about CA. If you're denied initially because of a lazy examiner, you will most likely win on appeal.
True. Despite the wonderful numbers being touted by Washington, the actual factual unemployment rate here in CA is above 14% still. As such they are absolutely inundated at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment