Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

I was let go on 9/5/14 due to the elimination of my position. I work and live in NY and will be receiving 12 weeks severance in a lump sum and was told about the new law in New York about severance prior to the 30 days and came to an agreement that I will fill out the separation documents on the 6th of October and they will payout the 10th of October. Due to my stupidity I put no when asked for severance when filling a claim for unemployment since I was going to be receiving after the 30 days.

Should I call them and say I made a mistake on my application or do I just inform it when I get the severance? When I check online it says I have to call there tel system to inform them of the wait week.

A couple of other questions:

1. How long before I get my paperwork on how much I was approved for?

2. How long after filing do they set up the phone interview?

3. How long after filing do they call you in or mail you for the reemployment classes and how far in advance?

The reason i am asking is because Oct 1st-Oct 3rd i will be out of state networking and meeting for some potential opportunities for work and I also had a vacation already booked from the 17th through the 27th of September and of course I will still be looking for work during that time period but do not want to be called in and im not here.

1. Should I inform them that I will be out of state for a few days? If not can I just not apply for benefits for that week?

Thanks in Advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:01 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conguero23 View Post
Due to my stupidity I put no when asked for severance when filling a claim for unemployment since I was going to be receiving after the 30 days.

Should I call them and say I made a mistake on my application or do I just inform it when I get the severance?
Yes, call them now to correct this error. NY will want a copy of your severance documents when you get them.

Quote:
When I check online it says I have to call there tel system to inform them of the wait week.
NY requires you claim the wait week. Therefore, do that.

Quote:
1. How long before I get my paperwork on how much I was approved for?
Should be this week.

Quote:
2. How long after filing do they set up the phone interview?
NY may not need a phone interview. They don't always do them if your reasons for discharge and your employer's statements to NY are the same. More likely, you'll get a questionnaire first. If, after reviewing your answers on the questionnaire, they need an interview, you will be informed.

Quote:
3. How long after filing do they call you in or mail you for the reemployment classes and how far in advance?
Probably within a month, with a two-week notice on the class itself. If the reemployment class is scheduled when you are unavailable, your benefits will stop until you do attend. You might want to call NY now on the 9/17-27, 10/1-3 dates to see if they can override any automatic scheduling. Not all states can or will do this. Chances are, in the normal course, NY won't be scheduling anything until middle of Oct. or thereabouts.

Quote:
I also had a vacation already booked from the 17th through the 27th of September and of course I will still be looking for work during that time period but do not want to be called in and im not here.
You not only are required to do work searches, you are required to be Able and Available. Please do not claim those vacation weeks unless you are immediately available to drop whatever you are doing, go on interviews, and start work. If you stop claiming, NY temporarily closes the claim. You need to call NY to reopen claim when you are again Able and Available. Telling NY you were not A&A for three days one week and three days the other b/c of a preplanned vacation should not present a problem on the reopen.

Quote:
Oct 1st-Oct 3rd i will be out of state networking and meeting for some potential opportunities for work and

1. Should I inform them that I will be out of state for a few days? If not can I just not apply for benefits for that week?
You don't need to inform them about being out of state - especially if you are actually searching for work. Yes, you can claim that week. Actually, that would be the week you are reopening after your vacation.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,868 times
Thank You for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment