Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 5,561 times

Advertisements

Came across this site searching google to get more information on what to expect with this whole process & decided why not ask my questions here.

Okay, so first off I live in California. This is my first time ever applying for unemployment. I applied for unemployment on 12/24/15 the same day I was let go from my last employer. Now, I will be returning to work for my last employer I just don't know when. The way they do hiring for the position I'm in is your work the seasonal term & then with a good evaluation you get placed on the call back list for full time employment opportunities. I did receive a great evaluation & was placed on the call back list. I only worked for my last employer a little over a month so I knew it didn't fall in the claim period but I already received my letter sayin' my unemployment would come from my 2 previous employers. I resigned from both employers on good terms.

Now my phone interview is Friday Jan 29th & I just want to know how I should explain my situation so that I don't hurt myself more than help.

Like I mentioned, my unemployment would be drawn from my 2 previous employers who I did resign from. I did join the union for my most recent/current employer to help guarantee my spot on the call back list & I did pay my union dues. I didn't put my Union info on my app because I didn't have the information at the time but I was able to get a possible number from a co worker so I plan to call Monday morning.

So, I guess my question is what is the best way to word my reason for being unemployed? I figure since I am apart of the Union & have a guaranteed call back that would help my case. Also, would I be able to tell the interviewer I am apart of a Union & can I give the information then?

And since it's being drawn off my previous employers what other obstacles should I expect? I did part ways on good terms but I'm not sure how they would feel about paying my unemployment almost a year & 2 years later.

Hope that made sense & I wasn't talking in circles. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynne View Post
what is the best way to word my reason for being unemployed? I figure since I am apart of the Union & have a guaranteed call back that would help my case. Also, would I be able to tell the interviewer I am apart of a Union & can I give the information then?

my unemployment would be drawn from my 2 previous employers who I did resign from.

And since it's being drawn off my previous employers what other obstacles should I expect? I did part ways on good terms but I'm not sure how they would feel about paying my unemployment almost a year & 2 years later.
Earlier employers may be contacted - main issue is if you've earned enough since your last quit to purge a MC penalty due to a quit without cause.

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents

In CA, you need to have earned five times your weekly benefit to purge a quit without cause. If not and you can't justify an earlier quit, then CA won't pay you until the earnings requirement has been met.

Quote:
Sections 1256 (1260[a]) - VQ and MC

A disqualification assessed under Section 1256 may be purged only if the claimant has returned to work in bona fide employment and earned at least five times his or her weekly benefit amount after the act that resulted in the disqualification.

Miscellaneous MI 35 - Assessing and Removing Non-monetary Disqualifications
You were laid off due to lack of work. Period. You are, of course, searching for work during this period of unemployment.

Possibility of a call back is irrelevant to your qualifying for benefits. Neither that nor being part of a union will "help your case." In some states, if you are part of a union hall, laid off awaiting callback, work searches are not required. With only one month on that job, it is doubtful that would apply to you.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-24-2016 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
UI is about the reason you lost your job at the time you lost your job. That you quit 2 other jobs is irrelevant.

Why are you getting a phone interview? Sounds like you think you were laid off. Had your employer told EDD in writing that you were laid off, you wouldn't be having a phone interview. You're having a phone interview because your employer told EDD that you were fired, and chances are that means you won't be coming back to work there later no matter what they told you to your face as their were walking you out the door.

Quote:
I only worked for my last employer a little over a month
This might be the one exception to the above. If it's because it appears there was too short a time on the job, you can provide paystubs to prove that you earned 5 times your weekly benefit amount at the new job, and then any disqualification from your earlier quit is a non issue, but you'll still have to wonder what your employer is telling EDD that triggered a phone interview if proving the new earnings isn't enough.

Quote:
I resigned from both employers on good terms.
Why do you think that's important in a UI matter? You could have flipped them off on your way out the door and slammed the door. If you did it for good cause, or earned the right amount of money at your next job, then don't even address this topic. You'll just confuse the worker into denying you for the wrong reason.

Quote:
I just want to know how I should explain my situation so that I don't hurt myself
You were fired (don't know why) or you were laid off. That is what you say in a discharge regardless if you were the best or worst employee the company ever had. You can NEVER talk your way into benefits with an EDD worker, but you can kill them when you flap your jaw too much, so don't say anything. No matter how tempting it is.

In your case though, you might need to volunteer that you can fax paystubs to show that you earned the right amount of money to purge the earlier quits, and I really hope you did, because if you didn't, you won't be getting UI this time around with your sporadic employment.

Quote:
I figure since I am apart of the Union & have a guaranteed call back that would help my case. Also, would I be able to tell the interviewer I am apart of a Union & can I give the information then?
Why do you think this helps you? It doesn't. UI doesn't care one bit about you being in a union and possibly being called back. They care that you lost your job for a right reason.

For example: If you volunteered to be laid off so a coworker could keep their job, that can cause a lot of problems. When it comes to UI, you let your employer decide who's getting cut, and you stay out of it.

Quote:
And since it's being drawn off my previous employers what other obstacles should I expect?
If they care enough to not want to foot the bill, they will send EDD a note telling them to tell you that they are making a firm offer of employment to put you back in the same job that you had just moments before you quit, and if they do that, you better take it.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 PM

Alright. So I'll be a little more specific.

My last employer was the United States Post Office. They have your work the holiday season contract & then they call you back later in the year for a year round contract. I've been in contact with my HR since the end of the assignment & have verified that I'm on the call back list. I understand that doesn't matter & I received the paper from USPS that stated my assignment ended & it said "Terminated due to lack of work". i know I made way more than my award amount because it was good money i worked 6 days a week 10-12 hour days (Made nearly 5k in that one month). I still have the letters and the stubs. I know this is a federal job so I figured that's why I have to go through all the extra hoops. & I just checked online & now it says I have an in person interview as well.

If I am granted benefits will I not receive anything until after both interviews?

Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
If I am granted benefits will I not receive anything until after both interviews?
You won't receive a dime until it's determined that you're eligible. However, if you file your weekly claim forms appropriately, you will be paid for ALL the weeks you are entitled to and claim even if it takes EDD months to figure out what they want to do. For the time being, budget accordingly. You will have NO money coming from EDD.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 AM

Well I feel confident about meeting the requirements. I received my award amount & eventhough I wasnt at the post office long I made well over 5x the award amount they gave me. I just don't want to talk myself into a hole so I just want to make sure I answer the questions accordingly.

So do I just say i was fired for lack of work? Do I bring up that my assignment ended earlier than what I was told? Does it hurt my chances that it was a seasonal term since me being on the call back list doesn't matter? & does it being might have something to do with me having to do a phone interview then?

Just want to make sure I understand everything clearly.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:52 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
So do I just say i was fired for lack of work?
Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You were laid off due to lack of work. Period. You are, of course, searching for work during this period of unemployment.
Quote:
Does it hurt my chances that it was a seasonal term since me being on the call back list doesn't matter?
Answer:
Quote:
Possibility of a call back is irrelevant to your qualifying for benefits. Neither that nor being part of a union will "help your case."
Quote:
does it being might have something to do with me having to do a phone interview then?
Two possibilites:
Quote:
main issue is if you've earned enough since your last quit to purge a MC penalty due to a quit without cause.
and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Sounds like you think you were laid off. Had your employer told EDD in writing that you were laid off, you wouldn't be having a phone interview. You're having a phone interview because your employer told EDD that you were fired,

Firing isn't a disqualifier and you do not have to explain it. You were discharged for lack of work, as far as you know. Period.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:46 PM

Okay so just got my interview paper in the mail today & these are the questions listed.

Your receipt of payments from a prior employer other than regular salary (such as in lieu of notice payments, vacation pay, holiday pay).

What type of payment did you receive?
How much was the payment before taxes were taken out?
What is the name and phone number of the employer making the payment?

My best guess to what they are talking about is the check I got from the post office for my accured paid time off during my first week of certification because I did put it down on the certification form.
Do I still need to worry about having to explain why I was terminated since it isn't stated on the sheet?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Do I still need to worry about having to explain why I was terminated since it isn't stated on the sheet?
Not after reading the questions.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 AM

So is that a good sign? Does this mean the phone & in-person interview are more for verification reasons opposed to making sure I'm eligible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment