Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 11,349 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I started working for my County as a 911 dispatcher in March 2016. I was an internal transfer and was promoted. Prior to dispatching, I was a permanent County Employee making roughly $45,000 annually. As a dispatcher, my base pay was $80,000 plus overtime. The Dispatcher job required us to complete POST training as well as complete their rigorous training. I had completed about 11 month of training and had about a month left of training before my employer decided I wasn't the right candidate for the job and let me go at end of February 2017. I had no performance issues except for what they said was attendance. I was out sick for 13 days within 11 months. All of those sick hours were with Dr. notes and were paid because I had acquired those hours while working for the County. Everyone, including the supervisors stated I would make it through the training. As a County rule, Department separated from Dispatcher position and wanted to send me to my old job, which I denied because the pay decrease and demotion.

I stated in the application that: The department stated I was not the right candidate for the job. They offered another job which was far less pay than my current pay* roughly 35-*40% less.

On the back of the EDD letter, there are some questions that might be asked which are:

The reason you left your job.
Why are you no longer working at this job?
What Caused you to quit this job?
Why did this cause you to quit this job?
Did you request a leave of absence or discuss this with your supervisor before quitting? if not, why not?

I am nervous about my phone interview. I am applying for other agencies which pays equivalently as I know I can make it and have completed POST training. I just to complete the phone training at new agency. Any advise you be great for the phone interview.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Do NOT take the call. Next, time you get fired from your job, just say, "fired." There was no need to provide that extraneous information. If your employer does it, you can't stop them, but don't do your employer's job in the UI process.

That stuff about the demotion makes it sound like you quit, and you don't want the burden of proof. Being fired for attendance looks like misconduct, and that's what you should really be worried that your employer might say.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Hi Chyvan,

Thank you for your quick response. If I do not take the call, do I lose the claim? According to HR and my separation letter, the only thing on it is that I am being separated for non-disciplinary action.

Please advise.

Thanks again

Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffless View Post
If I do not take the call, do I lose the claim?
It's not automatic. You do this to put yourself in the best position if you have to appeal because you'll have access to everything the employer has said.

Quote:
According to HR and my separation letter, the only thing on it is that I am being separated for non-disciplinary action.
Great, but the employer can still tell the UI people anything they want to, and if that's what your letter said, why would you "enhance it"?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Thank you again for your reply Chyvan. Will my rejection to my previous post disqualify me from receiving the benefits as well?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Will my rejection to my previous post disqualify me from receiving the benefits as well?
Don't know, but I'd have never written that.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Thank you again for your reply Chyvan. Will my rejection to my previous post disqualify me from receiving the benefits as well?
It depends. Was this a lateral transfer or a standard application hire?

If lateral (or similar) does it specifically say if you are not retained, you must return to your old position? If so, what conditions to the "not retained" are listed.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 AM

Hi Rabrrita,

It was a application process that I had to go through.

From my understanding, my previous position would be made available to me if I don't make it as a dispatcher but if I don't accept my previous position, I would need to resign in order completely be released from my County (Employer). I told them that I would decline my old position due to significant decrease in pay and would look for another compatible job. I hope I didn't do anything that would harm my chances for collecting UI while searching for employment.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I hope I didn't do anything that would harm my chances for collecting UI while searching for employment.
The only thing you've done wrong so far is told the UI people too much on the application.

Employers tell people they have to resign frequently. The employer can call it what they want, but YOU have to know the difference, and behave accordingly. The moment you were made a dispatcher that IS your job. When they would no longer allow you to be a dispatcher, that is you being fired. You not going back to your old job is a "refusal of work." It has nothing to do with the separation issue, and should not be addressed by you until the separation issue is complete, but unfortunately you hinted at on your UI application.

You just need to keep quiet from here on out. Get your determination, and if it's adverse get help BEFORE you do stuff so that you have the best possible chance on appeal.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Hi everyone,

So today was my phone interview. After reading on forums it appeared to me that Edd calls from blocked numbers. I waited during my scheduled time for a call but did not receive any. However,my interviewer did called me after our scheduled time but from a San Diego Area Code. Thinking it was one of my family member, I answered. I was shock to realize that it was EDD. Long story short, he asked me 3-5 questions and approved the claim! Thanks everyone for their contribution. I didn't say much. He asked what happened to which I replied I was fired. He said oh you check the wrong box on the application. He asked about salary and discharged date. That's it. Took about 3 minutes. He did stated that he spoke to my employer who stated there was no misconduct.

My next question is, I want to apply for CTB and attend community college. I am hoping to take nursing classes. Any advise on how/when I should to tell EDD that?

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment