Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 04:19 PM

39 posts, read 29,060 times

Advertisements

Hi,

It was around the beginning of May 2020. I didn't list any employers, only self employment as Uber driver so no W2.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 04:37 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus.h View Post
Hi,

It was around the beginning of May 2020. I didn't list any employers, only self employment as Uber driver so no W2.

Thanks,
Did you file a new claim in beginning of May
Did you collect 6 weeks at $167 (for PUA claim) and now are collecting $450 a week (for last 4 weeks) and is the $450 the same amount you collected on your UI claim when your benefits exhausted May 2019? Are you saying when they switched you to PEUC extension they paid you back for the difference you should have been receiving because they had you under PUA claim instead of PEUC claim? How many weeks did you collect on that claim in 2019?

My feeling is if you got 26 weeks of UI and exhausted your benefits and then got your 13 weeks extension (which is what it was supposed to be a total of 39 weeks... with it being 26 of UI + 13 of PEUC, or total of 39 weeks PUA) then your option is to file a new UI claim if you meet the requirements for 2nd year claim.

Is the earnings you have listed for this year (which I'm assuming you mean 2019) all W2 income. If so i would file a new UI claim and get in under successive year 2nd year claim. You should have the earnings in the quarters for a standard base period to qualify for something and you did work during the current benefit year.

It's been confusing trying to figure out your scenario with bits and pieces added.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:11 PM

268 posts, read 206,696 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

SO, here's the income you listed for 2019:
Q1 0
Q2 12750
Q3 2000
Q4 1700

Is ALL of this Uber self-employment income?

Also, what date did you put for when you were affected by COVID19 for PUA? The May date of your application or earlier?

Last edited by Milezsmilez; 06-23-2020 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: added 2nd question

Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I didn't think i'd qualify for regular UI so I applied for PUA... Can't quite remember what dates I put in my application for PUA, is there somewhere online where I can find this information?
This is my last week with FPUC, it'll be paid on Monday. When and what do you recommend I should do?

Assuming you had ZERO W-2 income in 2019, look at your EDD account online for payment history.

Do you have ANY payments in March that are less than your PEUC payment?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:38 PM

I filed a new PUA claim in the beginning of May, I collected 167 for the first 6 weeks then 450 for the last 12 weeks (one week left in balance) and this is equal to what I received in my claimed from 2018 which I got the extension for.
I collected 19 weeks of 450 in 2019 and the rest 7 weeks in 2018.
The amounts i listed for 2019 were w2 but none of them were reported by the company yet, that's why I wasn't sure whether this will work or not... can I still apply for a new UI claim knowing that the company did not report W2's?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:40 PM

The income i mentioned in 2019 by quarter were w2 income that has not been reported by my employer...

Old 06-24-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The income i mentioned in 2019 by quarter were w2 income that has not been reported by my employer...
that doesn't make any sense that the 2019 W2 income you have listed hasn't been reported by the employer. Employers are required to file quarterly wage reports with DOL/UI. What makes you think wages haven't been reported by the employer? Wages not reported over a year later makes no sense. Sometimes if they are considering wages for an alternate base period they need to request from employer as those wages rights up to the date you filed the claim haven't been reported yet. But not for wages dating back to 2019. Even 1st quarter 2020 should be reported in at this point and 2nd quarter 2020 is usually due 15th of July for current year.

I am still saying you were on a PUA claim (you collected $167 a week) initially and when UI reviewed your account they switched you over to PEUC extension ($450 a week payment, same as you were getting paid on original claim when benefits exhausted) as you were eligible for that based on your original UI claim. You will need to file a new claim when benefits exhaust after a week and based on $$$ amounts you listed for 2019 you should be able to establish a 2nd year successive benefit year claim. You worked during your prior benefit year and you satisfied the earnings needed to establish a claim.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:

How did the employer not report the W-2 income? Did they issue a W-2 in January for you to file your taxes this year? If so, they were also obligated to report this income to EDD.

Based on you qualifying for PUA ($167/benefit)--it does sound like EDD pushed you to PUA. However, when you applied, WHY didn't you mention your W-2 employer when you knew you had one? On the application, it clearly asks you for any employers & estimated income? Many people have both W-2 & 1099 income, so the application is enabled to take info for both.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milezsmilez View Post
How did the employer not report the W-2 income? Did they issue a W-2 in January for you to file your taxes this year? If so, they were also obligated to report this income to EDD.

Based on you qualifying for PUA ($167/benefit)--it does sound like EDD pushed you to PUA. However, when you applied, WHY didn't you mention your W-2 employer when you knew you had one? On the application, it clearly asks you for any employers & estimated income? Many people have both W-2 & 1099 income, so the application is enabled to take info for both.
That's my feeling (regarding him being pushed thru on PUA claim) as they were doing that in CA, other posters had it happen and then were switched to PEUC extensions. As to why he didn't list W2 employers who knows? the whole thing sounds off (with employers not reporting income for all of 2019???). I don't see that as happening as it's been 18 months. I'm not sure if when he filed the PUA claim if his regular benefit year hadn't expired yet (it could have been close to the timing)??? He exhausted benefits on that claim in May 2019. And that may be why once they reviewed his claim they flipped him over to PEUC for the extension since both benefit year and benefits exhausted. Actually he might be in perfect timing for EB extended benefits being triggered now for states. CA EDD said more information will be coming in the next week (as posted in another thread)

Old 06-25-2020, 01:48 PM

My friend had a company and I bought in 50% in April 2019, we were working as "partners" and shared the profit equally but the partnership was never filed officially and we actually broke up as "partners" early 2020 so that's why the income I earned should now be considered either w2 or 1099, haven't decided yet but I thought it's better do it through w2 as it bears less tax, maybe i'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment