Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 04:35 PM

153 posts, read 73,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Out of context my a$$. That's exactly what he said. I read the entire letter. Hopefully he's unemployed soon but no matter I am sure there is a job waiting.
It's an analysis by the CBO. The paragraph in question discussed what people "might" do if they become unemployed. Nowhere can I see that the writer is suggesting that's what the unemployed "should" do. There's enough out there being said that p&^%es me off that people in power actually say. As to my reading, this isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 04:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,708 times
How would additional extensions work if states are already triggered for EB? You can't collect both, so are more benefits in a new package even needed considering states have been triggered?

(P.S. I'm not talking about the "extra" $600)

Old 06-30-2020, 05:31 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
How would additional extensions work if states are already triggered for EB? You can't collect both, so are more benefits in a new package even needed considering states have been triggered?

(P.S. I'm not talking about the "extra" $600)
States can still run out of EB, though, and then the FUI (Federal Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund) would need to kick in:

https://taxfoundation.org/state-unem...un-mere-weeks/

States would eventually have to pay it back - with interest Perhaps this is where the "basic protection" comes in from another stimulus bill. Then the states wouldn't have to pay it back.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 PM

957 posts, read 539,140 times
Quote:
Out of context my a$$. That's exactly what he said. I read the entire letter. Hopefully he's unemployed soon but no matter I am sure there is a job waiting.
Actually what he said is that unemployed people do this when they dont have the extra $600 - they sell their vehicles, they cash in their 401Ks etc etc etc.

If you read through the article to the end, this guy actually is a proponent of giving extra unemployment benefits - BUT he isnt a fan of giving an across the board $600 - but rather extra proportionate to what you made when you were working.

For instance... giving my son an extra $600 when he is a minimum wage worker is the equivalent of giving him MORE than double what his regular minimum wage job would pay. And it would create an incentive not to go back to work.

Giving someone who makes the equivalent of $4k a month salary - the $600 a week makes them 'whole'.
His suggestion is to make each unemployed worker 'whole' so my son would get... lets say an extra $100 a week.. and the $4k worker would get the extra $600/week.

He said that when people on unemployment can spend the same way they do when they are employed - (without having to sell their belongings) then it boosts the economy because then those places they spend at get influx of money - they can then produce more and in turn hire more.

One of the things that Trump et all keep forgetting is that most people arent unemployed because they dont want to work the jobs that are out there... the reality is that there just arent any jobs out there anymore. So if EVERYONE was to go 'back to work' there would still be a **** ton of people unemployed for lack of jobs available.

And the longer people cant spend because of no money (= no extra UI) then more and more businesses will close - making unemployment worse.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 PM

People have lost their health insurance, too, and Trump did not agree to reopen the Marketplace for special enrollment. I guess pandemics don't qualify. H*ll, I don't even think the extra $ 600.00 would buy a decent private policy, and it's not like anyone can afford COBRA.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:22 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Other shoe that will fall on if not before end of July is PUA for self-employed, independent contractors, etc.....

As local economies reopen the reasons why such persons were not working (forced lock down) but, many still don't have work nor will they get anywhere near back to normal for months.

It isn't so much they cannot get to place of business (directly affected by covid-19), but that their customer base may be drastically reduced or just gone.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 PM

5,161 posts, read 3,771,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
Actually what he said is that unemployed people do this when they dont have the extra $600 - they sell their vehicles, they cash in their 401Ks etc etc etc.

If you read through the article to the end, this guy actually is a proponent of giving extra unemployment benefits - BUT he isnt a fan of giving an across the board $600 - but rather extra proportionate to what you made when you were working.

For instance... giving my son an extra $600 when he is a minimum wage worker is the equivalent of giving him MORE than double what his regular minimum wage job would pay. And it would create an incentive not to go back to work.

Giving someone who makes the equivalent of $4k a month salary - the $600 a week makes them 'whole'.
His suggestion is to make each unemployed worker 'whole' so my son would get... lets say an extra $100 a week.. and the $4k worker would get the extra $600/week.

He said that when people on unemployment can spend the same way they do when they are employed - (without having to sell their belongings) then it boosts the economy because then those places they spend at get influx of money - they can then produce more and in turn hire more.

One of the things that Trump et all keep forgetting is that most people arent unemployed because they dont want to work the jobs that are out there... the reality is that there just arent any jobs out there anymore. So if EVERYONE was to go 'back to work' there would still be a **** ton of people unemployed for lack of jobs available.

And the longer people cant spend because of no money (= no extra UI) then more and more businesses will close - making unemployment worse.

Thankfully I am not in that boat but do you really think anyone who is at the end of their rope needs to hear what people do when they run out of options? I think they already know that it seems kind of cold to even mention all of that.
As far as the government figuring out how much to give each person instead of $600 or $300 or whatever do you really think a bunch of inepts who can't even get what they are doing now right could figure anything more complicated than that out? You got people who haven't seen dollar one since March still waiting. You have dead people getting stimulus checks. LOL.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:29 PM

153 posts, read 73,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post

Good analysis.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Thankfully I am not in that boat but do you really think anyone who is at the end of their rope needs to hear what people do when they run out of options? I think they already know that it seems kind of cold to even mention all of that.
As far as the government figuring out how much to give each person instead of $600 or $300 or whatever do you really think a bunch of inepts who can't even get what they are doing now right could figure anything more complicated than that out? You got people who haven't seen dollar one since March still waiting. You have dead people getting stimulus checks. LOL.
They just don't care. As long as DOW rises, they are golden. Of course, DOW is not a reflection of the true economy, as we can see from the UE numbers and the millions that live in poverty. They know this.

The congressman was also out of touch with reality. Anyone who makes statements like, "The CARES Act allows people affected by the pandemic to withdraw from tax-preferred retirement savings accounts without incurring a tax penalty." just isn't living in the real world and certainly has never wondered where their next meal was coming from.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:03 AM

3,351 posts, read 1,241,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
People have lost their health insurance, too, and Trump did not agree to reopen the Marketplace for special enrollment. I guess pandemics don't qualify. H*ll, I don't even think the extra $ 600.00 would buy a decent private policy, and it's not like anyone can afford COBRA.
he doesn't have to. losing your health insurance due to job loss already qualifies you to enroll outside of open enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment