Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 06:50 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,795,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetterkid View Post
I had a very similar question, my guy!!! Because 10,200 dollars of unemployment benefits are now tax free and because I wanted to receive my 600 dollar stimulus check, I quickly filled for my refund. I actually did end up owing money for the UI benefits though I started withholding 10 percent of my weekly benefits. Ultimately, it ate into my 600 dollar stimulus check causing me to receive a paltry sum of 395 dollars!

Will we have to turn around and send in an amended tax return for 2020 once the ink is dry on the ARP on Friday???
That is the million dollar question. Many folks in the same boat. I don't see how those of us who already filed won't have to file amendments, but of course, I am just speculating. Many have already paid and some of us have filed but not paid yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 07:32 PM

32,253 posts, read 27,476,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
That is the million dollar question. Many folks in the same boat. I don't see how those of us who already filed won't have to file amendments, but of course, I am just speculating. Many have already paid and some of us have filed but not paid yet.
There's no way around filing amended returns IMHO. Unless household had nothing but UI income for 2020 taking that $10k or whatever off the table may or may not be a huge deal.

Those who had income besides UI will still need to crunch numbers to see what if anything will come back by filing an amended return.

Self-employed/independent contractors who earned income in 2020 still may owe self employment taxes on that money if earned enough to reach that threshold (which isn't very high to begin with).

Depending upon how much state UI people received, topped up with extra $600 or $300, plus the LWA of $300 x whatever weeks, people may have received around $20k in total UI related benefits for 2020.

Looking at tax tables here: https://www.doughroller.net/taxes/fe...mption-limits/

Gives an idea of what someone would owe just with straight UI.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:14 AM

448 posts, read 286,257 times
My 2 daughters barely worked due to pandemic and collecting unemployment most of the year. They had very little wages other than that.

WHen I Did ones taxes, she owed $4K on $16,000 unemployment. Im hoping that gets cut down.

THe other - I never got her PUA (Mass) 1099g, so I ordered it, and am waiting for it. Im thinking she got paid more UI than my first daughter, and Im hoping the $10,200 comes off the books for her too,
'
Im also hoping I dont have to file an extension, but Im thinking we will. I doubt Turbotax will be setup for this...

Old 03-11-2021, 08:05 AM

Thank you, BugsyPal, those charts are handy....

There is just so much tax stuff in this new bill, even besides the UE break. You also don't have to pay back overpaid premium health care credits for those with marketplace coverage. For example, I was going to have to pay back $ 375.00 in PTC (on top of regular tax liabilities). So that will need to be amended now, as well, so I can exclude it. Then there are the new child credit amounts...

I agree with you that there is probably no way around amended returns.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
My 2 daughters barely worked due to pandemic and collecting unemployment most of the year. They had very little wages other than that.

WHen I Did ones taxes, she owed $4K on $16,000 unemployment. Im hoping that gets cut down.

THe other - I never got her PUA (Mass) 1099g, so I ordered it, and am waiting for it. Im thinking she got paid more UI than my first daughter, and Im hoping the $10,200 comes off the books for her too,
'
Im also hoping I dont have to file an extension, but Im thinking we will. I doubt Turbotax will be setup for this...
4K on 16K seems too high, IMO. I would look at that return again and rerun the numbers.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
4K on 16K seems too high, IMO. I would look at that return again and rerun the numbers.

Whoops. OK.

She got a 9K stipend from school for doing TA work and 16K for unemployment. (I forgot about the stipend when typing before)

Turbotax has her owing $2,600 federal and $600 state.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Whoops. OK.

She got a 9K stipend from school for doing TA work and 16K for unemployment. (I forgot about the stipend when typing before)

Turbotax has her owing $2,600 federal and $600 state.
This makes more sense. Did she take the $ 250.00 educator credit? I am not sure the specifics of it (such as hours needed), but hey, every little bit helps!

Old 03-11-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
This makes more sense. Did she take the $ 250.00 educator credit? I am not sure the specifics of it (such as hours needed), but hey, every little bit helps!
WE didnt take that, but as I looked at it - its K-12, and she was a TA for undergrad college kids (shes a grad student now)

But thank you for that.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:06 PM

55 posts, read 39,842 times
Quote:
I doubt Turbotax will be setup for this...
As of today Turbo tax software isn’t updated to calculate the $10200 tax exempt for this years unemployment.

Although, the IRS did issue guidance how to correctly file on the 1040.
You can EFILE your tax return on free fillable forms.

Along with the 1040, you’ll need to attach a schedule 1.
Line 7 of the schedule 1 will be the amount of UI, and line 8 will be -10200 (for filing single).

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedu...t-compensation

Old 03-14-2021, 01:48 PM

527 posts, read 390,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_apart View Post
As of today Turbo tax software isn’t updated to calculate the $10200 tax exempt for this years unemployment.

Although, the IRS did issue guidance how to correctly file on the 1040.
You can EFILE your tax return on free fillable forms.

Along with the 1040, you’ll need to attach a schedule 1.
Line 7 of the schedule 1 will be the amount of UI, and line 8 will be -10200 (for filing single).

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedu...t-compensation
Turbo tax and HR Block software will get updates for this new IRS guidance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment