Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 04:20 PM

12 posts, read 24,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_theater View Post
to nicet4 - great post that's what I said several (more like 50 by now) pages back. I saved 30% of my first job checks for a year and had enough to pay in cash a brand new Nissan Maxima. I love my car, and am fully grateful that it's paid off, or else I would be totally lost at this point. I have most of the rest of my savings in CD's that I can't touch for a few more years, that was my emergency savings. So yes, I fully agree with your post and you hit the nail on the head.
You can take loans against your CD's if you really need money. This will also build your credit. You basically are paying your self back in interest and principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 PM

462 posts, read 989,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarev View Post
DITTO! We are all in the same boat and I trust that every person here is intelligent, responsible and living in reality! Unfortunately, some of us were already dealing with life issues before the government and the economy blew up in our faces - and we weren't even at the controls and didn't have a crystal ball to see it coming. I don't feel the need to lecture to anyone here because I trust them as adults to know how to take care of their personal business in the most effective, beneficial way for their situation. I don't live their life; therefore, I can't assume that my plan is right for anyone but me so I don't feel the need to suggest what is best for anyone else.
YOU GET IT!!!!! Great post

Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM

40 posts, read 72,166 times
Ok so please help, I have been trying to follow your threads, but not sure if mine is something different. I did the SEB application on 5/22 and up until last week it showed processing. Then by maybe Wednesday of last week it dropped off and i got the application all over again. I figured nothing was up, so I just kept checking to see if my 1st 2 weeks were going to get paid. By Saturday the application was still out there with no status so I re-entered again. On Sunday I check my mail and I got the monetary determination letter. So I ASSUMED that this week I would finally get paid. On Tuesday, nothing still! So I go into my office (Clayton County) and she states everything is in and that I was not approved yet, that just showed me what I will get if I am approved, but there is an issue. I asked her what and she did not know. Just asked if I had worked after the 2nd tier, and I stated no. She said I would have to wait the 28 days to get my yes or no. This is so exasperating! I have tried to call that Ms. Yates and Randy. No call back yet. Anyone have any issue like this? Did your original applications just drop off like that?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 24,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherhill View Post
Ok so please help, I have been trying to follow your threads, but not sure if mine is something different. I did the SEB application on 5/22 and up until last week it showed processing. Then by maybe Wednesday of last week it dropped off and i got the application all over again. I figured nothing was up, so I just kept checking to see if my 1st 2 weeks were going to get paid. By Saturday the application was still out there with no status so I re-entered again. On Sunday I check my mail and I got the monetary determination letter. So I ASSUMED that this week I would finally get paid. On Tuesday, nothing still! So I go into my office (Clayton County) and she states everything is in and that I was not approved yet, that just showed me what I will get if I am approved, but there is an issue. I asked her what and she did not know. Just asked if I had worked after the 2nd tier, and I stated no. She said I would have to wait the 28 days to get my yes or no. This is so exasperating! I have tried to call that Ms. Yates and Randy. No call back yet. Anyone have any issue like this? Did your original applications just drop off like that?
Have you checked back on the certification page to see if the money has been forwarded to your account? Doe is still show, "Not paid, contact your Career Center"? Did you set up Direct Deposit? It is possible, that the Career Center needs to "release" the money and it will be paid. Looks like you may have to go back into the career center so they can just release the money. They will fill out a green slip and have you sign it.

Also, when did you originally file? If you have a claim date of anything other than 2009, they need to refile your claim, so it can be denied and the SEB benefits can kick in.

The application page will show back up again, once your claim has been processed. This is a good thing.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 PM

151 posts, read 317,673 times
[quote=mp0807;9342970]
Also, when did you originally file? If you have a claim date of anything other than 2009, they need to refile your claim, so it can be denied and the SEB benefits can kick in.

If you have an initial claim year of 2007, you need to file a new claim, even if your current claim year is still active. My initial claim year started 3/08 and I did not have to file a new claim.
(oops! my claim yr was '08 - didn't mean to confuse anyone - the first time I posted this I had 3/07. sorry...)

Also, in calling Mrs Yates and Randy, it is best to just keep trying back until you get a person on the phone as they are so busy taking calls, I'm sure it's next to impossible to get a chance to make an outbound call. But if you do talk to Mrs. Yates and she says she will call you back, you need to stay right by the phone because she will do exactly what she says she will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherhill View Post

Last edited by mamarev; 06-17-2009 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: oops! my claim yr was '08 - didn't mean to confuse

Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM

1st let me say that you guys are AWESOME on this thread!!! So helpful. I have been on here for days but this is the first I decided to post, glad I did :-)

I went in January of this year, during my 2nd Tier because my claim year had ended so they had to start me over again. It even shows on my monetary determination letter that I just got that it started in Jan and ends next January. And yes it shows "Not paid, contact career center" so that was why I went in earlier this week. I figured if I needed to re-do something they would tell me then, but she stated that I didn't--which makes sense since I had already established a new claim year. I will head back up there per your suggestion and ask if funds can be released.

It would just help if they could tell me what the "issue" is. I noticed that it says that on my monetary determination letter, at the bottom it states SEB Issue. It's just so maddening, who is the gatekeeper of all of the information per applicant? Shouldn't anyone be able to see per applicant what is on file? Or is that just too much like right. I hate depending on others.....

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Ok yes, I originally was laid off in November 2007, but I wasn't able to file unemployement (due to severance) until January 2008. I will go back up hopefully tomorrow, probably Friday and see if they can try to do something else. In the meantime I will continue to make those calls in the hopes of getting a live person. Is this just a way to deter people? I mean seriously. If you send me a letter saying I qualify, and then a letter saying how much and for how long, then you shouldn't have to go back in and "trick" the system. So maddening.

Congrats to those who have gotten their checks. I will be checking again after midnite and there after to see if mine magically appear.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 PM

462 posts, read 989,265 times
Sherhill
Do you have the phone numbers for Ms Yates and Randy? I found that calling them first thing in the morning was the only way that I could get through.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 PM

I sure do. I will start again @ 8am promptly!!! Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Well I just tried to log on to status of benefits and it's saying the system is down try later...anyone else having this problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment