Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 AM

96 posts, read 620,159 times

Advertisements

Since March of this year.
42 going on 80 years old.(feels like it some days).
CNC machining and programming.25 years experience
Boise Idaho area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
Been unemployed for just over a month right now. Was unemployed from Aug 06 - Feb 07 and from Oct 07 - April 08.
Graphic artist (have BA) and administrative positions.
I look for work in Knoxville, Maryville or Sevier County, TN.
Age 38

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I live in Georgia
I'm 59 years old
I've been unemployed since 5/30/09
My resume is also diverse, for the last 7 years I worked as a Real Estate Title Examiner and that whole industry is gone. Prior to that I worked as Admin/Tech writer/Web Design (got a certificate) and a little graphics and database design.
Prior to that I worked as an LPN for about 14 years and because I live in GA I'm unable to take a refresher course like the RN's do (don't get me started on the disciminatory practices of the nursing boards in this state), I would have to repeate the whole program and of course there's the waiting lists. I was hoping to sell out and move to a state that will allow refreshers. I'm currently taking an online one that will get my license back in Ohio but at least I will have a valid license from somewhere again. It won't get me a job in GA but it's something.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,013 times
Unemployed since 08/31/09.
20+ years in the Banking/Finance industry (worked everyday since I was 16)
Alabama
43 y/o

Like many here, I have been actively seeking employment on a daily basis. I have applied for over 120 positions that I should be WELL suited for but my phone continues to set idle.

Savings is almost gone, No insurance..............will have to move back in with Mom if I don't find something soon............

Contemplating bankruptcy............

Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Unemployed since 8-15-08 ... 64 weeks.
2nd Extension Benefits ran out but now I'm getting $4700 in TX state extended benefits then no more.
But now I also get $1018 monthly SSDI and free Medicare A & B so it's like I can retire now at 40 but no... I want $1069 weekly paychecks like from my last job so I can spend money on good stuff!

I do CAD / some Mechanical Engineering / Technical Writing.

1st 6 months jobhunt in Houston, about 4 interviews but no job.
Next months in Chicago ... not even an interview!

Now I'm doing Nationwide job hunts and applications. I'm saving good money living at Parent's house rent free! Bought 4 nice bmx freestyle bikes with my Unemployment checks! Life is on hold and kinda sucks but it's great getting SSDI and not having to work at McDonalds or Starbucks.

I should put more time into my possible money making internet venture... I'll make a website on biking and how to use bikes for losing weight and transportation and I will get paid when people click on ads from Google Adsense. Plus I'll accept donations too! - This is way better than working a minimum wage job which I'm overqualified for and won't get.

So I'm doing ok but not living large from a good paycheck... I want way more than $1018 per month SSDI!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I live in Las Vegas.

I've been unemployed since October 2008.

I was a Network Engineer and I'm 54.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 AM

145 posts, read 576,456 times
Thanks for sharing. We are a diverse group (type of work, years of experience, age and location). It's so disheartening being unemployed for so long, but it helps when we share our thoughts and encourage one another.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
I think older people (let's say over 40) are really taking a hit this recession.
I know we also have new grads who can't find much but entry level work (even in another field) is easier to find for a 22 year old.

At 22, you go get a retail job if there is nothing else. I did it when I graduated college. It's not a hardship if you are still living at home. Those of us older, or professionals, well, we do have it a bit harder 'getting anything.'

Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
I have 2 trades: Flexographic Printing Press Operator and Residential window tinter. I've was layed off Feb. 09. 43 years old near Kalamazoo, MI.

I could find work easy enough but it would require moving out of state and it might just come to that. Normally, I'll see about 4 or 5 ads a year for a position as press operator within a 100 mile radius of where I live but since I've been layed off, I haven't seen any.

It's disturbing to me because at my age I realize I only have so many years left to make money.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:44 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Unemployed since 8-15-08 ...
Bought 4 nice bmx freestyle bikes with my Unemployment checks! Life is on hold and kinda sucks but it's great getting SSDI and not having to work at McDonalds or Starbucks.

!
So this is the world of the unemployed? My heart gos out for those truly in need but not this guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment