Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Oh please. How about the people in the military that have to leave children and parents when they are deployed. With very, very few hardship situations excepted, I think people need to pull up their big boy pants and do what they need to do to find work.

No, like I said, people need to evaluate their skills and education to think outside the box and reinvent themselves.

And that is any different from any other type of job how?
My point exactly -- teaching, like nearly every other job out there (oil engineers/physical therapists/experienced RN's/ Diesel mechanics who can work on industrial and transit bus applications excepted) -- presently has a huge imbalance in supply and demand.

Military life and civilian life -- apples and oranges.

"Think outside the box"

"Pull up big boy pants"

"Evaluate your skills"

"Reinvent themselves"

You could make a bundle as a motivational speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Susan815,

I just realised Annerk and I have hijacked your very important thread.

I am going to ask the mods to move our "hijacking posts" to another thread -- don't know if that's possible.

I'm really sorry about this.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
If you know how to erect, maintain, and repair windmills, you'll have more work than you know what to do with up in northern Oregon along the Columbia River. If you are a nurse or physical therapist you'll be able to write your ticket in most of Florida. Diesel mechanics who can work on industrial and transit bus applications are in high demand almost everywhere except parts of the rust belt.

Half of finding a job is knowing where to look, and being willing to move there. That's an unfortunate reality that a lot of people need to start facing.
Annerk you said the exact opposite on the Orlando board about nurses writing their own ticket in FL.

FL even with the elderly population has laid off nurses and CNAs.

Sorry to call you on this, but I said what you did about "writing their own ticket" and you said that was no longer true.

So which is it?

And we lived in Oregon for two years, the economy there has never been good. Except very briefly in the late 90s.

Oregon has always had more people desiring to live there than there are jobs.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Annerk you said the exact opposite on the Orlando board about nurses writing their own ticket in FL.
No I didn't! There are a ton of jobs for nurses here, and I've never said anything differently! What I said on teh Orlando thread was that LPN's aren't in as much of a demand as RN's, and don't make as much money. But there are still plenty of jobs out there.

Quote:
FL even with the elderly population has laid off nurses and CNAs.
Not in central Florida they haven't!

Quote:
Sorry to call you on this, but I said what you did about "writing their own ticket" and you said that was no longer true.

So which is it?
There is a continued need for experienced nurses, which the person on this thread is. I have a friend who is an ER nurse, and she just got another raise to keep her from leaving for a competing hospital.

Quote:
And we lived in Oregon for two years, the economy there has never been good. Except very briefly in the late 90s.

Oregon has always had more people desiring to live there than there are jobs.
Read what I said:

If you know how to erect, maintain, and repair windmills, you'll have more work than you know what to do with up in northern Oregon along the Columbia River.

I didn't say if you are a derelict runaway with no skills who shows up in Portland it's the land of milk and honey for you. I gave a very specific skill set that is in high demand in OR.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,382 times
Just graduated from university in September and about to go on an IT training course in January which will also be the way into the industry. At the moment I am doing voluntary work.

The economy situation with so many graduates and huge job cuts in the UK this year has been a real problem but I am not getting dissuade. I know that eventually what happens is a result of my own efforts and capabilities and I am doing whatever I can to get into the industry in fact I believe I have found it so a few months and I'll be able to do a real job and earn so real money and about time.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
No I didn't! There are a ton of jobs for nurses here, and I've never said anything differently! What I said on teh Orlando thread was that LPN's aren't in as much of a demand as RN's, and don't make as much money. But there are still plenty of jobs out there.

Not in central Florida they haven't!

There is a continued need for experienced nurses, which the person on this thread is. I have a friend who is an ER nurse, and she just got another raise to keep her from leaving for a competing hospital.

Read what I said:

If you know how to erect, maintain, and repair windmills, you'll have more work than you know what to do with up in northern Oregon along the Columbia River.

I didn't say if you are a derelict runaway with no skills who shows up in Portland it's the land of milk and honey for you. I gave a very specific skill set that is in high demand in OR.

I' m not going to split hairs with you, you did say on the Orlando thread that a nurse could NO longer write their own ticket, I know because I said they still could and you contradicted me.

You said something along the lines while there still are nursing jobs in FL a nurse can no longer write their own ticket(that is the expression I used).

And speaking of Oregon I have lived there. The economy has never been good. Don't know if you remember but on another topic on FL teen drivers I mentioned OR withholds teens getting a full license until they graduate HS as an incentive. Something FL should look into but never will...lol.

You disputed that until someone followed up my thread with proof showing the laws in Oregon. I knew it was true just like OR suspends a DL for three years if someone refuses to take a breath test on a DUI stop. No wonder OR has much safer highways than FL, but that is another topic.

But you did contradict yourself on nursing in FL.

They either can or cannot currently "write their own ticket"...but it doesn't change depending on what thread you decide to post on.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:42 AM

354 posts, read 749,590 times
im 37, f. my last job was security officer in HS campus in IL while school was on vacation in June, i went to urbana IL to try a diff work. i was there for june-july... no job. a d while there, one day in July got a call from my supervisor that i have no more job waiting for me anymore when school opens. so been. officially jobless since July but have not been working since JUNE 2009. before, i just apply online or in person then BAM! i got thge job. but now... omg.

since Sept. ive been to vegas.. looking for work... no job. now im in AZ... but i honestly feel i WONT be employed ANYMORE... so my life is on limbo.... im on a whatever happens mode and ultimate survival mode right now in my life.

oh i also have diverse work expriences but they are the dead end type of jobs... so no solid future really.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Well it turns out pretty much everybody else on my course has already somehow got a job, even though I have put out hundreds of applications too and been to interviews. What a load of crap. Makes me look like some loser living off people. Maybe I shouldnt have bloody bothered with university it didn't exactly give me what employers are even bloody looking for.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Well it turns out pretty much everybody else on my course has already somehow got a job, even though I have put out hundreds of applications too and been to interviews. What a load of crap. Makes me look like some loser living off people. Maybe I shouldnt have bloody bothered with university it didn't exactly give me what employers are even bloody looking for.
Richard,

The job market is terrible right now for nearly everyone. Entry-level applicants have been hit very hard. Many companies that used to take on graduates now have hiring freezes in place. The fact that your colleagues have "all gotten jobs" (this sounds like it might be hyperbole) means that yes, jobs are out there. It does not mean you are a failure because you have yet to secure one.

I see you have a B.Sc. in Computer Information systems. There is an IT thread going over on the regular employment forum, where I have been debating IT related issues with a couple of young people like yourself who have managed to find jobs in the market.

Perhaps you could go over there, DM them, and ask for some job search suggestions. My understanding is that one of them, hnsq, has helped to successfully advise other IT people how to find entry-level work.

You are most certainly not a "Loser" and I insist that you take that description off of your profile immediately and starting coming up with a structured project plan to look for work.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Richard,

The job market is terrible right now for nearly everyone. Entry-level applicants have been hit very hard. Many companies that used to take on graduates now have hiring freezes in place. The fact that your colleagues have "all gotten jobs" (this sounds like it might be hyperbole) means that yes, jobs are out there. It does not mean you are a failure because you have yet to secure one.

I see you have a B.Sc. in Computer Information systems. There is an IT thread going over on the regular employment forum, where I have been debating IT related issues with a couple of young people like yourself who have managed to find jobs in the market.

Perhaps you could go over there, DM them, and ask for some job search suggestions. My understanding is that one of them, hnsq, has helped to successfully advise other IT people how to find entry-level work.

You are most certainly not a "Loser" and I insist that you take that description off of your profile immediately and starting coming up with a structured project plan to look for work.
Thing is I am now finding the IT jobs fine, however in one initial case I was taken for a ride by a company who claimed there was an IT sales/marketing job only to take me around a decrepit neighborhood doing door-to-door sales, then there was another interview I attended whereby the interviewee hadn't even got an idea of exactly what he wanted in an applicant and simply turned down everybody, before putting out another advert, wasting applicants' time and his own. Of course not saying it is "everybody else's" fault I am not employed yet. I know full well I may need to step up my game.

Plenty of recruitment companies have "expressed interest" but I never hear back from them or they leave empty promises about positions of interest which never appear to be more than a fantasy in the end. Thankfully though, an intensive training course coming up in 2010 should get me into the IT industry more easily, as they are known to have a good reputation for that, and I'm willing to put the effort in.

My main downfall, according to employers, is "lack of experience", even having developed software/built configured systems for clients, done the degree and work experience placements. Clearly some think I can't even do a job in which in some cases I could do standing on my head, just because I haven't been in continuous work for the last few years, yeah, maybe because I was concentrating on my studies! The other issue seems to be "networking" with people in the industry. It is apparently the most likely way to get into employment so I need to sort that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment