Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey C.C, [repeat of previous posts]
Why are you repeating what you've already posted instead of addressing the reality that many unemployed do not search full time? That's what we are talking about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Hey Ariadne22,

Didn't mean to repeat so much. But, I needed to drive home the point, that the unemployed, are NOT just lazy bums, who don't want to work. GET IT?!?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For people who REALLY want to work, it is. Requirements for job search are so minimal, it can be done in 15 minutes from a laptop computer once a week.
Obviously, you haven't applied for a job recently.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For people who REALLY want to work, it is. Requirements for job search are so minimal, it can be done in 15 minutes from a laptop computer once a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Exactly - all I have to do is "contact 2 employers" - they don't even have to be hiring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Obviously, you haven't applied for a job recently.
Oh, yes, I have. Minimal is two a week. One can do that online in under 10 minutes. I have never encountered these multi-page apps. Most times all that is needed is a cover letter and resume. Just a cut and paste deal. And I get callbacks, amazingly enough. Maybe it's my location, but it's a very easy process.

But, as far as UI being taxable, as I said earlier, I think some parameters should be set before it is taxed. For example, in NJ, from what I have since read, the employee pays .55% of their salary into the NJ UI fund. Assuming they've paid in for many years, they've probably contributed at least their 26 weeks, if not more. So, taxing those first 26 weeks amounts to double taxation - similar to SS benefits being taxed when other income in the household exceeds $25,000 per person. Probably in all cases, the first 26 weeks of benefits should not be taxed. Thereafter, perhaps means tested. Way too many variables for a one size fits all when it comes to UI.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-05-2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
A little cynical, no? I know I spent hours looking for jobs every day. I understand if you don't want a job,you can fluff your way through. But what's the point of bringing that up? If it is to insinuate that most people on UE don't really want jobs, I think you're dead wrong. Do some do it? Sure - and ?

There are always scammers and those who glide thru stuff in any system - working or not, rich or poor. Take the subject of the thread -- taxes. I imagine the proportion of people who cheat on their taxes is much higher than those UE who spend only 10 minutes online applying for jobs a week.

Personally I don't have a problem with UI being federally taxed. Don't especially like it, but I can live with it. I'll give back, but I wish I could tell them where to spend it!

What I'd really like is for municipalities to forgive interest on property taxes for someone who is UE. Not the taxes, just the interest -- but then I live in property tax hell here in NJ.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
As far as the federal portion is concerned, see Federal Unemployment Tax

"Only the employer pays FUTA tax; it is not deducted from the employee's wages."

So clearly any benefits derived from that source should be fully taxed.

BINGO !

Seems some posters say they do have with holding for state.

I really don't care if their state taxes them or not.

If they are complaining about federal taxes, they never paid into the Federal UI that Obama is handing out like candy at a kiddie parade.

They should be Federally taxed !

Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Any farmers who recieve farm subsidies must claim them as income and pay taxes.

Good for the goose,good for the gander.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
A little cynical, no?

Cynical is your perception, not mine.

I know I spent hours looking for jobs every day. I understand if you don't want a job,you can fluff your way through.

People who seriously need and want a job are spending day and night searching.

But what's the point of bringing that up?

Because another poster was beyond adamant in insisting that everyone on UE was working day and night searching - which they are not.

Most certainly are - but not all.

If it is to insinuate that most people on UE don't really want jobs,

I did not say that nor was it my intention. It is again the prism through which you view my words. It is apparently acceptable for another poster to shout in caps in a rude and arbitrary manner, telling me to "GET IT?!!, when I had rebutted with a common sense remark and in addition, I am now told I am insinuating that "most people on UE don't really want jobs." It is my belief that most of the unemployed do want jobs.
It is interesting how threads on this issue ultimately descend into angry battles. That was not my intent in any of my posts. The previous thread on taxation was closed and I fear this is heading in that direction, as well.

As I have said twice previously, UI taxation is complicated, probably should not be done for at least the first 26 weeks, and then means tested beyond that. If it were means tested using multiple variables, those most opposed to taxation I am virtually certain would not be subject to it. Personally, I have no dog in this hunt. Since I no longer work, I have so many writeoffs I can't use that whether or not UI is taxable is irrelevant to me. But, again, for the low income people, I do not believe UI should be taxed.

Going to watch a movie, now. Enough is enough.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-05-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Most low income people don't pay Federal income taxes anyway.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Most low income people don't pay Federal income taxes anyway.
Exactly - if UIC is your only income for the year, you won't pay much tax anyway - probably less that the payroll tax on the same income if it had been earned.

If you're married to a high-income spouse, or you're a $50K worker on a short temporary layoff, you'll pay 15% or more in federal tax on your benefit.

As I said before, if any part of your benefit is derived from your own contribution which has already been taxed at fed or state level, that portion should not be double taxed.

My views on taxes aren't limited to UIC. I also think HI premiums paid by an employer should be taxable (think how the FICA on those amounts would shore up SS and Medicare!), mortgage interest should not be deductible, and home sale profit should not be excludable (although it should be deferred to the extent that you roll it into another home purchase).

If we're going to fund the govt with income taxes, there should not be arbitrary rules about what income is or isn't taxable.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of unemployed whose families are solely dependent on UIC are seriously trying to find work. I just don't think it's productive to turn a blind eye to the segment that does prefer unemployment to work, however small that number might be. I have said in previous posts that I think the govt should be looking for ways to get more of our limited aid resources to those most in need. The current one-size-fits-all approach is OK for normal times, but these aren't normal times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment