Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:03 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times

Advertisements

Not just between the employed and the unemployed....that schism has been there for a while, have noticed the unemployed observing that those still employed "haven't a clue" about what it's like being unemployed in this recession.

Lately I've also noticed a distance and a resentment seems to be forming among the unemployed group themselves - with those who qualify for UI and are concerned with EUC extensions etc coming in for some flack and snide remarks from that sector of the unemployed who for whatever reason don't qualify for UI.

It's almost as though they think the ones that do qualify should be ashamed of taking what they see as "handouts" in the form of EUC and EB extensions.

Any thoughts? Have you noticed this as well, and if so when did this attitude start becoming apparent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
It irks me to no end when someone tells me I have no idea what it's like to be unemployed. I lost my dream job earlier this year when the company was sold, and I was unemployed for a couple of months. While it wasn't long-term, it was certainly a tense time.

I'm fortunate that I've got several career tracks and was able to find a new job fairly quickly, but I certainly can understand the frustration that people have with being unemployed.

There are some on these boards who I have all the empathy in the world for--I think they've just gotten the short end of the stick. Others, well it's pretty clear why they are unemployed after you read a couple of their posts, and in all honesty, I doubt they'd have an easy time finding a job in a good economy.

As far as extensions, in some cases it's just prolonging the inevitable. There are some people who aren't going to find jobs, because simply put, the work that they do just doesn't exist any longer in this country, and it's not coming back. The sooner they figure that out and figure out how to reposition their skillset in the maketplace the better off they will be. Unfortunately some just don't get it, and probably never will.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,058 times
I haven't noticed it.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
I haven't noticed it.
That's to bad, I'm at home watching Judge Judy all week

Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
"here are some people who aren't going to find jobs, because simply put, the work that they do just doesn't exist any longer in this country, and it's not coming back. The sooner they figure that out and figure out how to reposition their skillset in the marketplace the better off they will be."

yep - after about 2 months of looking in my former industry - I figured I better jump ship while I could. Luckily I had alternate skills. Many do not.

A family member was involved w/the financial industry. They are now re-training for an RN. Luckily they can do it. Many are not in financial shape to completely re-train and go back to school.

And yes, when I was unemployed last year, many people just assume I was "taking the summer off"... duh, I am slaving to get a new job. I spent way more hours a day locating a new job than I ever did working. "Summer off" YEAH RIGHT. I felt smacking those people upside the head....

My spouse still does not understand or comprehend that getting laid off is what happens all the time to many many people. He has had the same job for 16 years. The last two I had, I got laid off after 5-1/2 then after 5 years respectively. No fault of mine, just a business relocation and this last time in ,08 - the economy just tanked. But somehow that is MY FAULT... He is one of those who has NO CLUE.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
My spouse still does not understand or comprehend that getting laid off is what happens all the time to many many people. He has had the same job for 16 years. The last two I had, I got laid off after 5-1/2 then after 5 years respectively. No fault of mine, just a business relocation and this last time in ,08 - the economy just tanked. But somehow that is MY FAULT... He is one of those who has NO CLUE.
Sorry to hear that and fingers crossed that you find something soon.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think it's going to get worse as the extensions go on and on and the unemployed remain that for year after year, with the unemployed becoming permanently unemployed, sitting by receiving higher benefits based on some wage they earned in the distant past, unwilling to work for pay they view as too low - while millions of foreign citizens pour over the border more than happy to take those jobs.

The taxpayers will be gouged even more to pay for the non-working and that will lead to resentment -- in many cases the taxpayers are earning less than the unemployed are paid for not working.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's going to get worse as the extensions go on and on and the unemployed remain that for year after year, with the unemployed becoming permanently unemployed, sitting by receiving higher benefits based on some wage they earned in the distant past, unwilling to work for pay they view as too low - while millions of foreign citizens pour over the border more than happy to take those jobs.

The taxpayers will be gouged even more to pay for the non-working and that will lead to resentment -- in many cases the taxpayers are earning less than the unemployed are paid for not working.

This is exactly what has happened in the UK over the years.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
This is exactly what has happened in the UK over the years.
I feel bad for those who have really tried and cannot find absolutely any kind of work - but those who thumb their noses up at jobs they consider inferior while expecting the govenment to continue paying indefinitely just under what they used to earn chaps my hide.

Then you see the unemployed in the Walmart to shop for all the cheap foreign products they crave, never putting two and two together.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Like I said in the other thread keep up on your border crossing news. It just isn't the case sorry, They are all heading home. Its obvious you haven't looked for a job lately either. It isn't a mere just below what people made in the past it is a non livable wage. To be honest I haven't been offered any jobs, You know why? Because there are 100 to 500 people applying for every open position. I want to work. You make it out like we are living the good life on UI. I'm not making my bills. Hows that for living the good life. Its awesome living I tell you what! yea I want to go on for years and years living like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment