Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

I live in IL..and I do know that my regural 26 week benefits (started in december 2009) run out on may 25th...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 PM

723 posts, read 2,197,093 times
I believe the new cutoff date is June 2 so...you should be all right.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM

49 posts, read 145,255 times
I was at the unemployment office yesterday and the representative said while everyone keeps saying "June 2", all their official paperwork has come down with the date of May 29th, and wouldn't that be the last day of the pay period of the week before June 2nd?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:45 PM

418 posts, read 1,384,060 times
You're like me and...well screwed. If you are on regular unemployment you have to run out my May 22nd. I run out May 29th so we don't qualify. Really unfair and PRAYING hard for an extension!!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,988,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
I believe the new cutoff date is June 2 so...you should be all right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWhatAThrill View Post
I was at the unemployment office yesterday and the representative said while everyone keeps saying "June 2", all their official paperwork has come down with the date of May 29th, and wouldn't that be the last day of the pay period of the week before June 2nd?
The eligibility cut-off date for moving from regular benefits to Tier I of the EUC Tier system has always been one week earlier than the cut-off dates for moving from Tier to Tier once you are in the EUC Tier system.

Just FYI -- here are the specific eligibility cut-off dates set under HR 4851, retroactive to April 5, 2010:

EUC Tiers Program
• If you complete regular benefits no later than Saturday, May 22, you can start Tier I. The last day you can start Tier I will be Sunday, May 23.

• If you complete a Tier no later than Saturday, May 29, you will be eligible to start the next Tier. The last day you can start a new Tier is on Sunday, May 30.

• If you complete a Tier after May 29, you cannot go on to a new Tier until Congress extends the cut-off dates again.

At this time, Tier IV is the last of the EUC Tiers. When you exhaust the Tiers available to you, you may be eligible for EB, if your state provides that extension. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.

EB
• The federal government will continue to provide 100% funding for EB through June 2, 2010.

Some states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires. Other states revert to the original funding formula: 50% state/50% federal. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.

FAC
• The federal government will continue to provide an additional weekly benefit of $25 through December 10, 2010.

An individual must have filed a regular unemployment insurance claim on or before May 23, 2010, in order to qualify for this additional weekly benefit.

COBRA Premium Subsidy
• Those who are involuntarily terminated through May 31, 2010, may now be eligible for the COBRA premium subsidy.

This is simply an extension of the eligibility period for the premium subsidy; it has no effect on those already receiving the subsidy.
the EUC Tier system has always been one week earlier than the cut-off dates for moving from Tier to Tier once you are in the EUC Tier system.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,075,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The eligibility cut-off date for moving from regular benefits to Tier I of the EUC Tier system has always been one week earlier than the cut-off dates for moving from Tier to Tier once you are in the EUC Tier system.

Just FYI -- here are the specific eligibility cut-off dates set under HR 4851, retroactive to April 5, 2010:

EUC Tiers Program
• If you complete regular benefits no later than Saturday, May 22, you can start Tier I. The last day you can start Tier I will be Sunday, May 23.

• If you complete a Tier no later than Saturday, May 29, you will be eligible to start the next Tier. The last day you can start a new Tier is on Sunday, May 30.

• If you complete a Tier after May 29, you cannot go on to a new Tier until Congress extends the cut-off dates again.

At this time, Tier IV is the last of the EUC Tiers. When you exhaust the Tiers available to you, you may be eligible for EB, if your state provides that extension. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.

EB
• The federal government will continue to provide 100% funding for EB through June 2, 2010.

Some states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires. Other states revert to the original funding formula: 50% state/50% federal. Check your state's DOL website for details on EB.

FAC
• The federal government will continue to provide an additional weekly benefit of $25 through December 10, 2010.

An individual must have filed a regular unemployment insurance claim on or before May 23, 2010, in order to qualify for this additional weekly benefit.

COBRA Premium Subsidy
• Those who are involuntarily terminated through May 31, 2010, may now be eligible for the COBRA premium subsidy.

This is simply an extension of the eligibility period for the premium subsidy; it has no effect on those already receiving the subsidy.
the EUC Tier system has always been one week earlier than the cut-off dates for moving from Tier to Tier once you are in the EUC Tier system.
The GA DOL website says that Federal Funding for SEB will be provided through June 5th, which is the end of a week. Wouldn't that make more sense than June 2nd?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,988,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
The GA DOL website says that Federal Funding for SEB will be provided through June 5th, which is the end of a week. Wouldn't that make more sense than June 2nd?
I can't speak for what Georgia has posted on its site.

The text of HR 4851 specifies that federal funding for EB expires on June 2, 2010; and that is repeated on numerous state websites I have checked -- including my own state, New Jersey.

June 2, Wednesday, is an extension from the previous expiration date, April 5, Monday -- so I don't see a pattern of days of the week on which EB funding expires. This is unlike EUC Tier benefits payments, which coincide with the unemployment week of Sunday through Saturday.

Further, while I have seen states -- for administrative purposes -- shorten the cut-off dates before the expiration dates set in the legislation, I have never seen a state lengthen an expiration date beyond what is specified by the legislation.

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-29-2010 at 10:30 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
You're like me and...well screwed. If you are on regular unemployment you have to run out my May 22nd. I run out May 29th so we don't qualify. Really unfair and PRAYING hard for an extension!!

"well screwed" ...um i guess that sums it up. thanks. glad i dont have kids to feed. i think its time to start sleeping in the car because not even mcdonalds is hiring..i wish i had an suv instead of a 2dr.......

To me this damn system is retarded....how the hell is it fair that i can't file for extensions but others can that collected way more than me? why can't the system just be fair and give everyone the same number of weeks. maybe i am just stupid. time to find a large suv for sleeping.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 AM

418 posts, read 1,384,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihavenospacebar View Post
"well screwed" ...um i guess that sums it up. thanks. glad i dont have kids to feed. i think its time to start sleeping in the car because not even mcdonalds is hiring..i wish i had an suv instead of a 2dr.......

To me this damn system is retarded....how the hell is it fair that i can't file for extensions but others can that collected way more than me? why can't the system just be fair and give everyone the same number of weeks. maybe i am just stupid. time to find a large suv for sleeping.
I 110% agree with you. I have gotten my 26 weeks. My boyfriends sister has been on unemployment over a year now. So many people I know have been on it forever but yet there ya go bamm...I am being cut off after only 26 weeks because I miss a deadline by 1 week. Wow I guess I should have thought of that before I got fired.
I was telling my boyfriend last nite if they don't extend this I believe there will be riots. So many people are going to be homeless. They say over a million people on extentsions will lose their benefits but that is not counting people like you and me who are on our regular 26 weeks and will lose our benefits.
At this point all we can do is hope and pray that they extend it again. And wait.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,660,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I 110% agree with you. I have gotten my 26 weeks. My boyfriends sister has been on unemployment over a year now. So many people I know have been on it forever but yet there ya go bamm...I am being cut off after only 26 weeks because I miss a deadline by 1 week. Wow I guess I should have thought of that before I got fired.
I was telling my boyfriend last nite if they don't extend this I believe there will be riots. So many people are going to be homeless. They say over a million people on extentsions will lose their benefits but that is not counting people like you and me who are on our regular 26 weeks and will lose our benefits.
At this point all we can do is hope and pray that they extend it again. And wait.
I wouldn't worry about it to much on that deadline, I really think the end of year bill will pass by the time this last one expires as has been reported on this board. Now adding more weeks that is something entirely different and only time will tell what will happen to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment