Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,660,163 times

Advertisements

I think one of the best reasons not to consider an out-of-state candidate is the availability issue. Before they've made an offer, before they've even interviewed you, they generally ask when's the soonest you could start. So if you tell them that you need to sell your house, break your lease, give 60 days notice to your landlord, etc., that would definitely work against you. I imagine most employers want someone who can start immediately. If you're working, they understand that you need to give your current employer two weeks notice. The last time I moved to a new city for a job, I told them I would need 3 weeks. 2 weeks to finish up at my current job and an additional week to find a new place to live, pack up and move. Luckily, I don't have a house to sell or kids to find schools for and my landlord only requires 30 day notice. Hopefully, whoever offers me a job won't have a problem waiting 30 days. The nightmare scenario would be to get the offer, move, and then have the offer rescinded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,123,662 times
My employer has no preference for unemployed versus employed applicants. They will however, not consider anyone who is not a local candidate.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I can tell you this, this whole thing about out-of-state vs local resident is something that's been around on Hawaii for decades. Employers on hawaii have seen more than their share of wasting time dealing with out of state residents who after being offered a job, decide not to move. They also have seen more than their share of people who just moved to Hawaii are offered a job and a few months later they are moving away because the reality collided with their fantasy.
Same thing in Florida. Everyone wants to come live here because they had a great time on vacation.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Well it's been about a month and a half. I still haven't landed a job. I haven't even gotten interview. I can't be sure how much of that is because I'm an out-of-stater. In about 4.5 months, I'll have no choice but to move. I was really hoping to have a job lined up before then. I just have to hope that having a local address will improve my chances at landing something. But I also read how Sony Ericsson put out an ad saying no unemployed candidates will be considered. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Well I thought I'd update this thread. I'm moving without a job lined up in my destination city. This week, I reposted my resume online with my new address. I made no other changes to my resume. In the 6 months that it was online, I got fewer than 10 phone calls and emails. In just the last 2 days, I've gotten over 20. I knew being an out-of-state candidate put me at a disadvantage, but it wasn't until now that I realized just how much. So it gives me hope that I'll be able to find a job. I'm also lucky to be in a field where there's still demand in my destination city. So if you're someone who's trying to move to a new city, but can't get anyone to look at your resume because you're not local, seriously consider moving. Depending on your field, it will make a huge difference. Of course, make sure you've saved up enough money to go without work for a while.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,179,994 times
Well it's a high-risk strategy, but looks like it's working for you. Best of luck with it.

I guess it depends on field. In the nuclear industry you can apply to a job in a different time zone than the one you live in, or from one coast to the other, and still be taken seriously.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,854,047 times
I recently joined the long term unemployed club over the summer, and from the interviews I've been on I can say that in areas with high unemployment hiring managers don't even bother with non-local candidates. I'd say about the only employer who doesn't seem to care is probably the US government.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I recently joined the long term unemployed club over the summer, and from the interviews I've been on I can say that in areas with high unemployment hiring managers don't even bother with non-local candidates. I'd say about the only employer who doesn't seem to care is probably the US government.
Then the issue is whether you need any kind of clearance. While it might be easy to get depending on how high a clearance the job calls for, what I've been told by a number of people is that they'd rather you already have it instead of having to wait around for you to be cleared. So it's essentially the same story. Whoever is actually hiring doesn't want to wait for you to move or get security clearance.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,854,047 times
I've actually never heard anyone mention anything about security clearance for any of the government jobs I've applied to [and I have actually been on a final list of candidates for at least one of them] but I've only been applying to one government agency.

Anyway, it's pretty frustrating here when not only can you not be out of state, but I've ran into jobs where they seem to want people who live within the immediate area [as in no more than 15-20 mile radius from the workplace.] Totally illogical since I'm not in a major metropolitan area and being 40-50 miles away isn't a big issue when it's mostly highway driving, but these days employers can get away with that sort of thing.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I've actually never heard anyone mention anything about security clearance for any of the government jobs I've applied to [and I have actually been on a final list of candidates for at least one of them] but I've only been applying to one government agency.

Anyway, it's pretty frustrating here when not only can you not be out of state, but I've ran into jobs where they seem to want people who live within the immediate area [as in no more than 15-20 mile radius from the workplace.] Totally illogical since I'm not in a major metropolitan area and being 40-50 miles away isn't a big issue when it's mostly highway driving, but these days employers can get away with that sort of thing.
We want people to be within a 35-40 minute drive of here, as our experience has been significant with chronically late people who live further away. There are plenty of local candidates who fit our needs, so why should we look further?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment