Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
The more the fruits of knowledge become accessible to me, the more widespread is the decline of paranormal belief.

Scientists abandoned paranormal explanations of physical phenomena soon after 1828, when Wohler discovered he could make urea without the use of kidneys. WE STILL DO TODAY.

Pseudoscience, tricks, smoke and mirrors, snake oil salesmen and saleswomen, cold reading 'psychics' are destroying America's already precarious knowledge base. If you are desparate to believe something, try Science.

Do a small experiment. Ask a detective if he can recall any crime solved by a psychic. I dare you.

Google JREF for more info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
Wow those are really top-rated sources you listed. Excuse me for not believing any of them.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I am a sceptic but I still have the door open just in case. I am a firm believer that we don't understand everything. That we will find some proof that paranormal will be tomorrow's normal.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The vast majority of paranormal claims are pure bunk, but not all of them. It's those 5% that fascinate me, and I'm sure science will eventually catch up them, just like they did with everything else.
I'm pretty much the same. I don't necessarily believe in spirits, demons, ghosts, etc, but I do believe that some people honestly experience very real things which, so far, cannot be explained by science. I'm also pretty convinced that our incredibly complex brains can often produce incredibly bizarre phenomena that may be the source for many if not most paranormal experiences. To me, that's considerably more interesting and amazing than the idea that ghosts/spirits are real.

Incidentally, when I was younger (and sort of believed in ghosts) I had several experiences that I thought were potentially paranormal. When I got older and grew more skeptical, I easily came up with rational, unremarkable explanations for each incident. All the explanations were completely obvious, and what I find interesting is that in the past I missed those obvious explanations somehow. Like I was absolutely convinced the occurrences were mysterious and amazing, and my subconscious just omitted the most obvious answers.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
just look at optical illusions, once they're stuck in your head it's hard to see the real picture...our brain decides for us what we see and even after being told the truth, our brain still tries to convince us what we (wrongly) saw at first, was right...

Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Wow those are really top-rated sources you listed. Excuse me for not believing any of them.
That's alright. You asked, I answered. You made up your mind before you even asked. Nothing I can do to change that, so I won't bother trying.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
:d
That was supposed to be:

Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Do a small experiment. Ask a detective if he can recall any crime solved by a psychic. I dare you.

Google JREF for more info.
I double dare you back! I triple dare you!

I prefer to keep an open mind to such inquiries. I like the quote in the CNN article: CNN.com - Transcripts

"GRACE: Detective Lee, had you ever used a psychic in a case before? LEE: Prior to that time, I viewed psychics as little old ladies with a 4-by-8 sheet of plywood in their front yard that says Madame Melba Reads. I'm a left-brain thinker, meaning I'm very good with numbers and computers, and I'm not too far in touch with the right brain, which most psychics are. So no, it had never occurred to me before. "

LOL. I love that image of a psychic!

I think it's healthy to be a skeptic. I also agree with nimchimpsky who said if your mind is made up, there is nothing anyone can tell you that will change your mind, so I am not going to try and change your mind either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal