Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

There are FIVE indentations in the pic you posted. The lower left could be the pad and the lower right could be the fourth toe in an a-typical position. (or vice-versa)

The actual toes in the pictures have EXTREMELY similar teardrop shapes.

I'd appreciate something more than just posting the pics by each other with no commentary, after all, I'm actually trying to have a reasonable discussion about the topic and have touched on a variety of considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:53 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Thanks for the input Mathguy. I did find two more photos. This link describes what some have seen and think made the tracks. Board Message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 PM

I will have to click from home sometime to see the comments. Could you give me the short version?

I'm a nature fan...the kinda guy with a lifetime subscription to national geographic and a complete set on DVD.
So, I've read\seen\heard enough seriously freaky nature stuff to keep a very open mind.

I'm generally quite suspicious of crypto-zoology. Fields like that, ghost hunting, UFO's and so forth are so full of crackpots and hoaxs that you need to have some serious skepticism or get lost in the garbage. It doesn't mean I don't believe, I just know that anytime there is a buck to be made there is human fraud or just irrational enthusiasm.

Even "hard sciences" have had numerous scandals like piltdown man, the korean cloning work, the autism\vaccination studies, the twins studies and more. By the same regard, the first scientist to show a platypus specimen in London was labeled a fraud. LMAO.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM

This track was under a shed on my dads barn. When we get a good rain it blows under and gets the ground wet. We got rain last Thursday so the tracks were left sometime since then. It's obviously not bird, we killed all the dinosaurs out last year and Yotes have five toes and don't have a split pad. I think it might be from one of those "Hissin Critters" as I call them. Don't know what they are but folks have been seeing them for several years around here.

(Artist Rendition, but not quite it.

I am trying to find the photo they have of a skeleton.

This is in Oklahoma.

Board Message

"Michael,
I just got back from a hunt down in Mexico. Shot a 150 class 9 ptr. I'll send pics later. Was talking around the campfire with a guy that has been hunting this 49,000 acre ranch for 28 years. He was telling me about a wierd animal they have been seeing down there. It looks like a dog, but with cat teeth. It has a hyena build, very powerful looking and they think they have heard it take down calves before. He said it has stripes in the front half, but not the back half of its body."

Indians called it Shunka Warakin

I talked to my brother today and got a little more information.
He said the head on Pat's drawing is closer to correct. The tail length he said is closer to Bill's but not quite as long and a bit more bushy. He said most of the ones he has seen hold the tail straight out too.
He also noted they have a "hump" on the back above the shoulders and the front end/shoulder area is bigger and more powerful looking that both drawings portray. He also stated all he has seen have long shaggy hair "similar to a buffalo" on top of the back in the shoulder area. He said all but one was about the color of a bear (black with dirty brown mixed in). He said all but one of his sightings were in the winter time except one summer sighting and the color of that animal was red like a Irish setter. He noted that it could be the difference in a summer and winter coat that was responsible for the color variation between winter/summer.

I think since the first reports originated here in the Kiamichi's, it would be more plausible that these animals are spreading in all directions from here. Reports of these animals are coming in from Arkansas, Texas and now as far away as Mexico. Also I don't think this is the same animal as the Chupacabra. Descriptions (most) of that animal are of a two legged winged creature. These animals we speak of have been sighted here in Southeastern Oklahoma for around ten years now. I received a report from a trusted friend this morning that his brother had shot one a few years back and could only describe it as "some sort of strange Hyena looking thing".... The shame of it is he left it laying where he killed it, but that's nothing more than the typical mindset of Southeastern Oklahoma.... "If you can't eat, drink, smoke or screw it, then **** on it"...

I doubt this is it but i thought i would throw in the mix anyway.

Sociedad Southron • View topic - Strange animal

I forgot to add that this is in Uruguay, South America.

I don't care what the other folks think or say, but here is what the woman that brought up the subject allowed on it...

Hello, Timberghost

I showed your pictures to the caretaker - she says the animal looks like the one she saw, except ours had an S-shaped tail.

Here's her story: one evening she was sitting at home when the neighbor's cows started bellowing loudly. The dogs started barking, and she let them out, only to see them race back in five minutes later.

This is very unusual, so she went out to investigate and saw a large animal by the barbecue barrel, licking the grill. It was the height of the picnic table, with wide shoulders, narrow hindquarters and short hind legs - shaped like a huge hyena. It walked away when she turned the outside lights on.

Our neighbor has seen it on a few ocassions, too, as has the alambrador, who says it is very fierce and can deal with several dogs at once.

Several comments from the thread. More as i find it

Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 AM

It's important to note that there have been non-native species get loose.

Heck, a farmer in CA out walking his orchard one morning found a BENGAL TIGER print...they eventually caught that one.

So, it is possibly a Hyena that is being seen. The artists pic is VERY similar to a Hyena and in searching around on-line they do leave tracks not that dissimilar to what your pic shows. However, if we knew the size of the pawprint that would help a lot.

There have been south-american species found here in the US too.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's important to note that there have been non-native species get loose.

Heck, a farmer in CA out walking his orchard one morning found a BENGAL TIGER print...they eventually caught that one.

So, it is possibly a Hyena that is being seen. The artists pic is VERY similar to a Hyena and in searching around on-line they do leave tracks not that dissimilar to what your pic shows. However, if we knew the size of the pawprint that would help a lot.

There have been south-american species found here in the US too.

The top of it's back was a easy 3ft tall with the head up around 4ft off the ground. This animal was well in access of 100lbs.

I had a Rottweiler once that weighed 140. This critter looked bigger than he did.

Agreeing with you quite a bit. Some say maybe a non extinct Dire Wolf.

Dire Wolf - Extinct Species - The Dire Wolf - Recently Extinct

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The top of it's back was a easy 3ft tall with the head up around 4ft off the ground. This animal was well in access of 100lbs.

I had a Rottweiler once that weighed 140. This critter looked bigger than he did.

Agreeing with you quite a bit. Some say maybe a non extinct Dire Wolf.

Dire Wolf - Extinct Species - The Dire Wolf - Recently Extinct
2 infamous man-eaters weighed 160 and 170lbs respectively so the size you are describing are VERY attainable by a spotted Hyena or more rarely by a brown hyena. (Top 2 pictures respectively.)

Hyena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The artists rendering looks A LOT like a brown hyena.

A captive exotic brown hyena with a steady food supply could get quite large, wild specimens of 160lbs are known. Could also be x-breed of a brown and spotted (if that is genetically possible).

A previously captive exotic might also explain why it's not so shy being near people and their scents etc.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2 infamous man-eaters weighed 160 and 170lbs respectively so the size you are describing are VERY attainable by a spotted Hyena or more rarely by a brown hyena. (Top 2 pictures respectively.)

Hyena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The artists rendering looks A LOT like a brown hyena.

A captive exotic brown hyena with a steady food supply could get quite large, wild specimens of 160lbs are known. Could also be x-breed of a brown and spotted (if that is genetically possible).

A previously captive exotic might also explain why it's not so shy being near people and their scents etc.
Cannot say that this is what made the track. These animals have been seen all across the mid south, southwest, into and Mexico and even in Ms.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Cannot say that this is what made the track. These animals have been seen all across the mid south, southwest, into and Mexico and even in Ms.
*shrug* with all the trail cams and everyone have video cameras in their phones etc. eventually something will be captured on film....or shot.

Good discussion though. We've certainly proposed some not-incredible scenarios of what could be the animal in question.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Unidentified critter. Sent email to clarify how many toes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal