Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I guess that is one way to look at it if you see our soul as an alien from outer space and you view reincarnation as an invasion. So to answer your question that is a No from me.
Reincarnation makes no sense at all. Like Christianity, it's a concept created by man who has a great deal of trouble accepting the inevitability and finality of his or her own DEATH.

Prove it [/quote]

Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. I am not an evil human who has ever caused ruthless physical or mental harm to any other human or animal.
That has nothing to do with what happens after a person dies.

Quote:
No way evil humans just get a free ride into nothingness.
Why wouldn't they? Death is the same for man and beast alike.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If those are the causes, they are not man made, they are put there intentionally as a means for the spirit to fulfill it penance.
You need to remember, we are only tools to be used for the benefit of the spirit within us, and nothing more.
Bob.
So man and these alien spirits are NOT the same? How would it benefit an alien spirit to have the MAN or woman it infests be born horribly deformed, paralyzed, so mentally retarded they can't even learn to speak? Or choose to drink so much alcohol the infant they give birth to is severely affected with no hope of a normal life?

Spirits are a religious concept.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Does lack of belief imply belief?
Not believing is not a religion. It's tiresome for believers to keep claiming it is and pushing that on non-believers.

Quote:
If I don't believe that the dog next door will bark within the next ten minutes... do I then believe that it will not bark within the next ten minutes?
Is because you believe the dog will bark makes it a RELIGION? And that makes sense to you?

Quote:
Religion (n): a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.
I love to garden and I love cats and wish everyone did - that makes gardening and liking cats my religion? No, it makes it my hobby, my pastime, something I enjoy. The cats are companions, not my religion.

Quote:
I think you mean illusion. We're not talking literature.
l
So those who believe in Gods and demons are all having illusions?

Quote:
But to answer the question, I can't. See my point? Now flip it 180 degrees back to you and we have liftoff, Houston. You're arguing my point for me.
What point? Knowing or believing a dog will bark is not a Religion, nor is gardening or having a few cat companions. BTW, if you think my cats are illusions and Religions, you can pay my next vet bill.

Quote:
No, I don't. Again, you've made my point for me. Thank you. If I say the sky is blue and you say, no, it's blue, well, we really don't have much of an argument, do we.
So that we both agree the sky is blue means it's a Religion and an illusion?

Quote:
In 1620, nobody with an IQ above 80 would have believed that we would some day go to the moon. Or that one day we would miraculously flip a switch and our "oil lamp" would magically illuminate without any oil, or seemingly without any rational explanation.

If you ask someone who lives in a two dimensional universe about the laws that govern a three-dimensional universe, you will undoubtedly get a subset of three-dimensional reality. Now simply up the dimension by one (or a 100) and you'll have our condition.
And what is our condition exactly? Illusion and Religion?

Quote:
Again, thanks for reinforcing my point.
Of course it was.
So I reinforced the belief that a dog will bark in 10 minutes is Religion and Illusion?

Quote:
My words: We must all be free to hold our own views and beliefs. That's what makes us individuals, rather than sheep. But I strongly believe in Fallibilism, and Academic Skepticism. I wish more people in this world did as well.
Quote:

Your words: Why? How would that help you?

It would help me for the same reason it would help everyone else, which was stated in an earlier post.
I don't have time to go through hundreds of your past posts..........

Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You really need to explain your remarks because one is either speaking from beyond the grave, or actually living.
There is no speaking beyond the grave from the still living.
So, which is it?
Bob.
What's to explain? Use your head for a minute and THINK!!!! Don't you know anything about schizophrenia? Some of them believe they hear the voices of dead relatives and sometimes famous people as well as "alive" strangers, friends and relatives.

No one speaks from beyond the grave. When the brain dies, that's it.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post

Now, go within and find the inner you who directs the one whom you answer by it's name....
A religious concept again?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I believe there's absolutely nothing after we die, our bodies decay and turn to dust over the months and years, unless you are cremated then it goes a lot faster. But as far as an afterlife or coming back..no I don't believe in any of it. Death is final, you get one chance only. we are not special. That's why you should live your life the best way now so you can be happy and feel content and not hope on a second chance or reward. There is no animal or people heaven or hell, gone is gone.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I believe there's absolutely nothing after we die, our bodies decay and turn to dust over the months and years, unless you are cremated then it goes a lot faster. But as far as an afterlife or coming back..no I don't believe in any of it. Death is final, you get one chance only. we are not special. That's why you should live your life the best way now so you can be happy and feel content and not hope on a second chance or reward. There is no animal or people heaven or hell, gone is gone.
It seems some of us can accept that and some cannot. Those who cannot come up with all kinds of alternatives to the finality of death. Religions over the ages use it to keep control of their members and keep the cash flowing. After all, how many people wouldn't want to live forever? In a "paradise" of some kind no less. Think how appealing that sounded and still sounds to those with harsh lives. In the past, life wasn't only harsh, but short as well.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Reincarnation makes no sense at all. Like Christianity, it's a concept created by man who has a great deal of trouble accepting the inevitability and finality of his or her own DEATH. .
And is not the concept that there is nothing beyond the tip of your nose a concept created by man?

Your belief or view is no more or less valid than anyone else's. It's not your view that I disagree with -- it's your insistence that your view is absolute truth when you have no way of knowing that, much less proving it.

Quote:
Not believing is not a religion. It's tiresome for believers to keep claiming it is and pushing that on non-believers.

Is because you believe the dog will bark makes it a RELIGION? And that makes sense to you?

If you can't follow formal logic or a dictionary definition and make the jump to a conclusion, that's not my problem.

When I tell someone to put two and two together, I'm not expecting them to literally add 2+2.

Quote:
And what is our condition exactly? Illusion and Religion?
I have no idea. You tell me. You seem to have all the answers to the universe and have it all figured out. Maybe we should be worshiping you.

The OP asked, "What do you think happens once we die?" Notice that word "think." Many of us have answered what we "think" might happen. The OP did not, on the other hand, ask, "What do you know happens once we die?" Because, in the sense that he/she asked the question, nobody knows. Nobody has been there and lived to tell about it. There are lots of possibilities and several have been posed here. This discussion is supposed to be conducted from the stance of an open mind, not that of a closed mind.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM

588 posts, read 796,207 times
Quote:
Do you recall how you felt before you were born?
I don't recall a single thing about not existing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal