Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times

Advertisements

Savannah, GA. I didn't have any experience with ghosts other than when we were at a restaurant that was said to be haunted, my wife took 2 pictures (this was a trick she was told to do in case one of the pics picked up anything strange, she could compare it) and an orb appeared in both pictures, but in different spots. Nothing either of us freaked out about because that could be explained away.

The better one was that I overheard a conversation between two people talking outside of a ghost hunt tour we were about to go on. One of them said that they were in Savannah once before and took a picture outside of one of the houses, she said that when they looked at the picture there was 4 people, her, her husband, her son and another little boy, but none of them knew who the boy was and they don't remember seeing him. Again, possible explanation (could be as easy as one person telling a lie) but still a fun story to hear in a setting like Savannah that has such a creepy history and for someone who does believe in the spiritual world, I do think the place has some unsettled spirits roaming around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
The coolest place for me was the Queen Mary. I was there for a film shoot several years ago and got the chance to wander all over the bottom of the ship where the public was not allowed, including supposed "hot spots" like the pool dressing room.

I didn't see any ghosts; I honestly didn't feel like the place was haunted at all, but the history was grand, even though virtually everything below the First Class staterooms has been gutted (which is also a real shame )

Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I will say up front I am not a believer. I also do not look down on you who do. I have never experienced anything that science or common sense could not explain.

I also like a good ghost story.

My four top places I have visited are from 4 to 1 are
4 Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs Arkansas. Stayed one night. Nothing weird but the tour was good and it was a nice hotel.

3 Myrtles plantation in Louisiana. Took the tour and loved the story's.

2 Winchester Mansion in San jose It was a bucket list thing and we took the basement tour. Excellent place.

1 My all time fav. NOLA. I have toured St. Louis 1 several times, and taken the ghost tours and read the stories. This has to be one of the neatest places I have ever been.
What is NOLA?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
What is NOLA?
New Orleans, Louisiana.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:57 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
It would have to be the former Smurl residence in West Pittston PA.

That place was very heavy and foreboding. A neighbor who was too young to have remembered told me that her mother had horrible memories of what was going on. I asked to speak to her - and an older woman who looked scared and sad said that she could not speak about these maters. She then blessed herself by making the sign of the cross and went back into her home.

The book is "The Haunted". It was followed by a made for TV movie of the same name.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
In my jr high years, once while on a summer vacation, we(my brother and I) were told about a house a ways up from my grandparents home that had two people commit suicide by hanging many years apart. We went up to look around and see what was up. I was apprehensive about it as soon as I saw it up close. When we walked up the steps to it there was a smell that was like dead "something" it got worse when we got to the door. As I stepped through the door the wall above it started to creak and grown loud enough to make us cover our ears. Like it was being pushed down on us or something. When we stepped back out of the door it stopped. I walked to the window and looked in and saw someone standing by the doorway of a room transparent but standing there. We left.
As we described the ordeal to my grandparents, I described the person I saw standing in the doorway of the room. I must have did a good job, my grandfather got up and walked out of the room. I asked my grandmother why he did this and she said I had given a perfect recollection of my grandfathers best childhood/adult friend. He killed himself when he was in his late 20's because of the great depression.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia. A formal penal colony with many haunted buildings (especially the main prison building) built in the early 19th century, it's now most famous for the 1996 mass-shooting of 34 people by Martin Bryant. I think even some Americans might know it. It's the worse in our history by far. So that adds another level of grimness to the place. Didn't experience anything really supernatural, but it did seem spooky, and at one point I thought I heard a door banging but I think it was my imagination lol.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Oak Alley Plantation. Not because I saw any evidence of it being haunted; I didn't. But the place was cool.

You're right...that place is awesome. We visiited Oak Alley about 20 years ago and loved the tour, but the best part was when I was wandering around outside and talked to one of the groundskeepers. He told me some chilling stories. One was about the last family member to occupy it - an elderly woman. She'd often be seen cutting the grass with an old fashioned rotary push mower...long after her death. He told me that they found a sandwich, too, inside that no one admitted leaving. The sandwich didn't look modern - it looked like a sandwich that would have been made 60 years ago with old fashioned home cured type ham and homemade bread sliced with a knife. There was also once a glass of wine. He thinks it was left by the old woman's ghost or due to a glitch in time. He also told me about the phantom sounds of horses and carriage wheels coming up the front entrace through the magnificent oaks.

We visited the Octagon House in Washington D.C., which according to documentaries I've seen is supposedly haunted, but the tour guides deny it. It did have the scariest thing I've ever seen in any historic house I've been in - the most horrible "modern art" sculptures on the top floor (this would have been about 15 years ago). If they had to display art, why couldn't they display some pertinent to the time period instead of that interpretive crap?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:14 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
About 30 years ago, DH and I had dinner at a restaurant called "Brinton Lodge" in Douglassville, Pennsylvania (in Berks County). We went on an off-night during the winter, when there were few diners, so we got the waitress to talk about her experiences. She'd had many - like the door being unexpectedly locked and glasses and dishes moving on their own. The restaurant haunting was mentioned in a popular book of local ghost stories at the time, and had been featured on a TV show called "That's Incredible". News clippings about it were displayed on the wall. I had to go up some dark stairs to the ladies' rest room on the upper floor. I didn't see anything, but after listening to those stories I didn't waste much time up there. The building had had a checkered past - it had been a speak easy during Prohibition. I think some murders had been committed there.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 09-07-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 PM

112 posts, read 177,433 times
Coolest place? Hardd to choose between Charleston,SC and Savannah,GA.Both have haunted places that you don't need to go on some tour, though Charleston is getting too "ghostly commercial" to suit me. Try any Chamber of Commernce and among al the material you will probably come across dome info that cites "haunted locations', no charge, mostly legend material but one never knows about "legends". Love both cities and treatment one gets even if it is questions about "ghosts"and "haunted loctions".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal