Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 06:51 PM

17,350 posts, read 11,309,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I saw the show on Netflix last night. It did explain so many rumors and mistruths that were/are on many message boards. The bottom line is Elisa Lam had the severest form of Bipolar1 with hallucinations, and paranoia according to her sister, wasn't taking her meds according to the tox report and probably was suffering from those conditions when in her mind she thought the safest place to hide from whatever imaginary threat was after her was in the tank. It's sad.

I felt sorry for Elisa Lam and also for that death metal musician that was receiving death threats because a bunch of conspiracy theorist web sleuths read into his music, saw a video where he had been at the Cecil, and accused him of the murder. It didn't seem to matter to them that he was at the Cecil a year before she even went missing. He wasn't even in the country at the time and had never heard of her when she went missing. The poor guy said he tried suicide because of all online threats and bullying that he went through.
The whole thing is very sad for everyone involved. I can't even imagine what her family has gone through. Elisa was such a bright young woman with so much ahead of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 03:18 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I watched it. It does explain a lot and puts to rest many rumors and untruths like the lid being found closed with her inside the tank.
I started watching the first episode. Not bad so far, kind of establishing the history of the hotel as well as Elisa ending up in L.A. Thankfully it wasn't as cheesily done as the Night Stalker one. Not yet done with first episode so hopefully it'll stay that way.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:50 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I watched it. It does explain a lot and puts to rest many rumors and untruths like the lid being found closed with her inside the tank.
There was one special a couple years ago on this event, I didn't watch it but supposedly it was a purposely sensationalized episode in which they didn't even mention her mental illness issue. Hard to take seriously when you ignore that one crucial bit of information, it was like one of those fake ghosthunter shows.

We still see posts such as "OK smart guy if it wasn't murder where are her clothes then?". That bit of misinformation, from sensationalized blogs and youtube videos, are still making the rounds (In reality the clothes were in the tank with her body).
I have to check this new show out.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:15 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,951,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I started watching the first episode. Not bad so far, kind of establishing the history of the hotel as well as Elisa ending up in L.A. Thankfully it wasn't as cheesily done as the Night Stalker one. Not yet done with first episode so hopefully it'll stay that way.
I've watched three of four episodes. It's definitely worth watching the whole thing in my opinion.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I've watched three of four episodes. It's definitely worth watching the whole thing in my opinion.
Just finished the whole thing.

In my opinion they could probably have cut out a lot of extra stuff/red herrings like that metal singer's story arc. A lot of these things felt like filler to stretch the series out.

Overall though without those distracting elements, a decent program. Interesting how some of those vloggers who were initially convinced there was a conspiracy and that she met foul play at the hands of another, changed their opinions once the final autopsy and evidence was revealed. I agree with them, this was just an unfortunate incident where Elisa had a bad mental breakdown caused by decreasing her medication, and ended up drowning herself in that water tank (contrary to some initial reports, the water tank lid was in fact open when the body was first found by the maintenance personnel, so odd that the police never caught onto that or investigated).

Old 02-14-2021, 11:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,230,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just finished the whole thing.

In my opinion they could probably have cut out a lot of extra stuff/red herrings like that metal singer's story arc. A lot of these things felt like filler to stretch the series out.

Overall though without those distracting elements, a decent program. Interesting how some of those vloggers who were initially convinced there was a conspiracy and that she met foul play at the hands of another, changed their opinions once the final autopsy and evidence was revealed. I agree with them, this was just an unfortunate incident where Elisa had a bad mental breakdown caused by decreasing her medication, and ended up drowning herself in that water tank (contrary to some initial reports, the water tank lid was in fact open when the body was first found by the maintenance personnel, so odd that the police never caught onto that or investigated).
It was an online sleuth focused documentary for sure.

I don’t know if you ever saw the Netflix documentary “Don’t F*** With Cats” but I basically saw this film as the counterpoint to that. In the former, it was all about how the online sleuth community was able to track down people who were doing horrific things to animals and then posting videos of it online.

In this docuseries it showed how the online sleuth community got it really, really wrong. It went into painstaking detail, I don’t think it left a stone unturned. I think the story of Morbid needed to be told. I had never heard of him or about what had happened to him. It was really horrible.

So I think overall they did a pretty good job of laying out all the facts and I think confirmed that she died a tragic accidental death due to poorly managed bipolar disorder. And the online community got it incredibly wrong (including myself).

Old 02-15-2021, 07:12 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,951,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
In this docuseries it showed how the online sleuth community got it really, really wrong. It went into painstaking detail, I don’t think it left a stone unturned. I think the story of Morbid needed to be told. I had never heard of him or about what had happened to him. It was really horrible.

So I think overall they did a pretty good job of laying out all the facts and I think confirmed that she died a tragic accidental death due to poorly managed bipolar disorder. And the online community got it incredibly wrong (including myself).
I agree -- the story of what Morbid went through was essential to the story. He was persecuted by online sleuths who (as one of the detectives pointed out) didn't have the whole story with all the supporting details -- like the fact that he was at the Cecil a whole *year* before Elise Lam was there. We see the same thing happening online every day in other contexts -- doxing of political enemies, QAnon conspiracy theories, etc.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,457,135 times
One of the over head shots taken by a news helicopter showed the fire department crews and the Police on the roof of the Cecil on the day the body was discovered.......To me that video would be helpful in clearing up the question of.....was the tank cover in place, or was it not in place ?

Here in Canada, one of the possible findings of a Coroner's inquest is.....Death by misadventure. That means that the dead person did something that resulted in their own death. To me that is the most realistic explanation.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It was an online sleuth focused documentary for sure.

I don’t know if you ever saw the Netflix documentary “Don’t F*** With Cats” but I basically saw this film as the counterpoint to that. In the former, it was all about how the online sleuth community was able to track down people who were doing horrific things to animals and then posting videos of it online.

The online community sleuths is part of the story and I didn't have an issue with them showing that side of the story. But I thought it focused too much on that as well, some of those people including that guy who needed to watch a video of Elisa's grave was a bit creepy. I didn't need to see the perspectives of multiple such sleuths as I could have gotten the point with just one reference/mention to that side of the story. Just my personal preference, no right or wrong.

I recently watched a YouTube clip about a guy who saw a car submerged in a lake through Google Map. Apparently this car was later found to contain the remains of someone that mysteriously disappeared. One of the comments jokingly stated that Netflix would take this story and make it a 10 episode series, which got a lot of thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
One of the over head shots taken by a news helicopter showed the fire department crews and the Police on the roof of the Cecil on the day the body was discovered.......To me that video would be helpful in clearing up the question of.....was the tank cover in place, or was it not in place ?

Here in Canada, one of the possible findings of a Coroner's inquest is.....Death by misadventure. That means that the dead person did something that resulted in their own death. To me that is the most realistic explanation.
Actually, what would clear up the discussion about the water tank hatch, is any overhead footage of the Cecil hotel roof once it was determined that Elisa was missing (and LAPD started investigating the hotel including the roof area with dogs) and before her body was discovered.

I think the confusion is because initial police reports said the hatch was closed, yet the maintenance worker who found the body said that the hatch was open when he went on top of the water tank to investigate (complaints of low water pressure by hotel guests). This worker apparently closed the lid after he found the body.

So far I have not been able to find any pictures or video clips of the water tank and roof prior to the body being discovered (some claimed that the lid was closed but they have not provided any links to back their claim).

One thing I found creepy about this whole case are the eerie coincidences people discovered. Like the similarities to the movie Dark Water. Or how there was an outbreak of tuberculosis among homeless in that area not long after Elisa's body was discovered, the test used to determine TB infection is called LAM ELISA which is her exact name reversed (and Elisa came from a city that had one of the world's leading research centers on tuberculosis).

Old 02-15-2021, 01:19 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Not really, the body was found by the maintenance guy who was investigating why the water tastes bad...THEN he called the police. He testified during the lawsuit that the lid was found open (I think).
EDIT: I see that was already addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal