Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would think four grown men, especially the type to be rescuers, would be afraid of looking crazy or silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That's the way I feel about it too.

I don't think this was an irrational event. These four men heard a voice calling for help. I don't think there is any doubt about that, they responded and saved a young child but the source of the voice is a mystery. It's not irrational, it is unexplainable. There is an explanation, we just don't know what that it.
Irrational is the opposite of rational. I didn't say the heroic act was irrational. I doubt there is an explainable solution. ( explanation). The point of my vid ( you tube) was the motion was backwards, instead of forward, with the exact same outcome.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Yes, and I also recall one man saying he even RESPONDED to the call for help. These four grown men, now heroes, looked nervous and awe-struck while being interviewed because they knew this would come off as "weird" to many people. I agree with other posters who say that the onus of belief lies on their side because THEY WERE THERE. Why would they gather round to make this up? THAT would be the only thing to not "make sense" to me.
We're talking about it aren't we? They gained some national notoriety from the event didn't they? Some people just crave attention. I know they were on Anderson Cooper..... how many other shows did they give interviews to? Were they paid at all for these interviews? Given any kind of compensation?

Again, I doubt these men are lying. I believe that they believe they heard this mysterious voice. Playing Devil's advocate though, these are a few reasons why they could have "made it up" IF they in fact did, which I doubt.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
They said it was not a child's voice; it was the voice of a woman. I think they said the words they heard were "I need help" several times.
Well, it all makes perfect sense now. Because we all know that peacocks speak in grammatically correct English. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, it all makes perfect sense now. Because we all know that peacocks speak in grammatically correct English. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
The problem with that idea is that the men said nothing of a bird. The peacock idea only exists on City Data, and the occurrence of a peacock that happened on a film set in 2004.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 03-24-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
The problem with that idea is that the men said nothing of a bird. The peacock idea only exists on City Data, and the occurrence of a peacock that happened on a film set in 2004.
Yep. Please note I was being sarcastic.

"We heard a woman's voice screaming, 'I need help!'" being chalked up to "It was peacocks" makes about as much sense to me as "I saw a dozen pulsing blue lights zig-zagging across 8 miles of sky" being chalked up to "weather balloons" or "swamp gas."

Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yep. Please note I was being sarcastic.

"We heard a woman's voice screaming, 'I need help!'" being chalked up to "It was peacocks" makes about as much sense to me as "I saw a dozen pulsing blue lights zig-zagging across 8 miles of sky" being chalked up to "weather balloons" or "swamp gas."
Swamp gas is good one! (That was incredibly funny!)

Old 03-24-2015, 10:58 AM

44 posts, read 44,198 times
As I have mentioned in another post, I became interested in Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVPs) shortly after the passing of my son. Those who are involved in recording EVPs know that in most cases, EVPs are not heard in real time. Usually the EVPs are captured while recording and only heard upon playback. That said, real time EVPs, or phantom voices do occur occasionally, and I have experienced them myself. To make myself clear , I'd like to stress that I do not hear these voices inside my head, I hear them with my ears. So yes, I do believe it is possible that these men did indeed hear a phantom call for help.

Even though I believe in the paranormal, I still retain a logical, open minded thought process. For example, I was recently on vacation and decided to roam around a graveyard looking at tombstones in a well known cemetery that is a final resting place for many famous people. While in the graveyard I heard what sounded like a call for help. Eerie, but my first thought was it must be a cat, or some other animal. Then when I heard the sound again, it sorta sounded like a small child, and there was a funeral being held on the other side of the cemetery with children in attendance. In conclusion I determined it was a bird.

I was on vacation, I was unfamiliar with the sound of that bird and If I had been in a stressful situation, I could see how one could have interpreted that sound as a human voice calling for help. The men that rescued the baby were, I assume, residents of the Utah area and familiar with the bird calls native to that area. I just find it hard to imagine that all FOUR men would mistake a familiar bird call for a human voice. Possible in that stressful situation? Yes. But from my experience with EVPs, I find it just as plausible that these men absolutely did hear a mysterious, phantom call for help to save the baby.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
See the table at the link: the mother was apparently in near-freezing water for 14 hours.

Hypothermia Prevention: Survial in Cold Water | Minnesota Sea Grant

It's highly unlikely it was the mother they heard, therefore. Another possibility is that in a state of high stress and physical stress, their minds created the voice out of ambient sounds, like the car making noises as they moved it. One of them said, "It felt like I could hear someone telling me, 'I need help. ... It was very surreal, something that I felt like I could hear." The article notes that seven rescuers had to be treated for hypothermia after the rescue, and hallucinations can sometime accompany hypothermia; see the list of symptoms here:

Hypothermia | University of Maryland Medical Center

if one of them said "I hear a voice" that might predispose the others to hear a voice, too in those conditions.
I see no reason to change the above reply which I posted early on in this thread based on what others have said since then. Reiterating and expanding on the above:

* Seven rescuers were treated for hypothermia after the rescue
* Hypothermia can sometimes be accompanied by hallucinations
* Audial hallucinations can be very convincing (they light up the same brain areas as real voices)
* In conditions of high stress, misinterpretations of sensory inputs can be contagious ("did you hear THAT?")
* The fact that they're "trained professionals" doesn't make them less susceptible physically to stress and hypothermia
* "Trained professionals" heard different things in the wake of the 9/11 attacks; a woman some years ago was shot because cops seeing her cell phone thought it was a gun; "trained professionals" aren't infallible
* The responder saying "it felt like I could hear someone ... it was very surreal, something that I felt like could hear" sounds to me like someone who isn't 100% sure of his interpretation of what he "heard" rather than a "trained professional" reporting objective observations.

No peacocks needed in this scenario.

EDIT: This might be of interest to some: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702442/

Last edited by Vasily; 03-24-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Also -- I remember reading that people saw an arm floating in the water....I would think that would make almost anything you heard a cry for help.

I'm not saying they didn't hear something... their minds made it into cries for help....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal