Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 11:14 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

See, you think everyone is this special little snowflake with unique experiences but I understand that people are more similar than dissimilar. A "medium" can make 20 incorrect guesses or unrelated comments and people will not remember. They get one right and people will remember and think them gifted. Cold reading is a real thing.
Can't agree.....

1) a real medium doesn't guess

2) ppl love exposing frauds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Can't agree.....

1) a real medium doesn't guess

2) ppl love exposing frauds
You do not have to agree.

1.) Cold Reading is real and used heavily in the psychic world. This is a money making industry and the techniques have been hones for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

2.) This is true. This is why the weird rules are imposed and why "psychics" avoid impartial scientific testing. Why does a person forget names when they die? "I am getting a name...it starts with M? Anyone? Noone here knew a person whose name began with M? Wait, I am getting an "N".....OH...you know someone whose name began with N? I am getting Nancy......Nora.....OH, Nora....she says she is fine and wants you to know that she loves you very much"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFAvH8m8aI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 AM

Nope. My reply does not agree. Think about it. Have you had your morning coffee?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Nope. My reply does not agree. Think about it. Have you had your morning coffee?
As I said, you do not have to agree. A lot of people make a lot of money off of others using simple tricks.

Someone needs to pay them.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:31 AM

44 posts, read 44,198 times
One of my absolute favorite things to do is expose frauds who call themselves mediums. Yes, real psychic mediums do exist. There are people that are truly blessed with this gift. But sadly, there are also a lot of people looking to make a quick buck on the desperate and grieving.

Somewhere in the middle are people that, for whatever reason, believe they are much more skilled than they really are. These people may indeed have some intuitive skills, but not enough to set up shop and call themselves a psychic medium, healer, or whatever. An hour long reading with this type of medium would result in just a few accurate hits. I would dare say that a cold reader would have a better success rate.

I once went to a "psychic medium" that several friends were bragging about. I was shocked when I realized that I was sitting across from a cold reader. To me a cold reader is so blatantly obvious. How could my friends, whom I consider sharp enough to pick up on this bull, actually fall for it? I don't know. The same way most people do, I guess.

I am skilled at reading people. I can pick up on the subtleties that other people miss, and this is how a cold reader works. I had a great time sitting there observing this fraud observe me. She watched my eyes and all body movement very carefully. She would throw something out there and then look for the tiniest reaction from me to gauge her next response. A poker face, hands folded, placed in your lap, and saying nothing more than yes, no, or I understand makes a cold reader's job very difficult. They will often come up with an excuse as to why they aren't picking up on anything at the moment. A true medium is undeterred by the lack of facial expression, body movement and minimal comments.

Last edited by Selby; 03-16-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
As I said, you do not have to agree. A lot of people make a lot of money off of others using simple tricks.

Someone needs to pay them.
No, I cant agree with insinuations the publics made up of nothing but half wits who cant recognize a scam; and have no desire continuing to waste my time debating the possibility theres are a handful of genuine mediums with a gift. We'll agree to disagree.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
No, I cant agree with insinuations the publics made up of nothing but half wits who cant recognize a scam; and have no desire continuing to waste my time debating the possibility theres are a handful of genuine mediums with a gift. We'll agree to disagree.
Just because someone falls for a scam does not mean they are a half wit. People have been being scammed for thousands of years and I do not see that ending any time soon.

I have to assume that at least some of the people who fell for Madoff's scams were actually quite intelligent.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Just because someone falls for a scam does not mean they are a half wit. People have been being scammed for thousands of years and I do not see that ending any time soon.

I have to assume that at least some of the people who fell for Madoff's scams were actually quite intelligent.
Continuing to dwell on frauds..you dont believe legit mediums exist; theres no point in discussion.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Continuing to dwell on frauds..you dont believe legit mediums exist; theres no point in discussion.
No, I am addressing your comments.

You said "No, I cant agree with insinuations the publics made up of nothing but half wits who cant recognize a scam.". this is a deflection and not true. Not only did I not say anything similar to this but I also pointed out that not everyone that falls for a scam is a "half wit".

If you have proof that mediums are real I am VERY interested in seeing it. The Amazing Randi had a great challenge in place for people who were and they would have made a pretty penny.

Not all mediums use the same tricks but I have seen no evidence that any are legit. If they were they would be able to be specific with anyone they walk up to but they have these clear cut nonsensical rules that only serve to protect the "medium".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSPto8rvvs

Chapter One: Who is behind one of the biggest scams in history?

Chapter Two: She's the face of a $200 million scam - but does she exist?

Chapter Three: The global network keeping a 20-year scam alive

If there were real mediums and the dead did speak to us our entire society would be different. We would identify and train people from a very young age to do this. They would, like every other calling, get better over time because people would be able to train and experiment.

But they do not.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
This is true. This is why the weird rules are imposed and why "psychics" avoid impartial scientific testing. Why does a person forget names when they die? "I am getting a name...it starts with M? Anyone? Noone here knew a person whose name began with M? Wait, I am getting an "N".....OH...you know someone whose name began with N? I am getting Nancy......Nora.....OH, Nora....she says she is fine and wants you to know that she loves you very much"
Supposedly, the medium isn't being talked to. The person on the other side isn't speaking, he or she is showing the medium symbols, and the medium has to interpret.

That's why you hear them say she's showing me red roses, that's my symbol for love.

But on the other hand, medium also say she's telling me about.... so it can't be in all symbols.

I really wish these people were real -- I'd love to talk to my family, I have real questions. But I'm like you. I don't believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal