Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

Some call it the Hissin Critter. Look at the teeth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
My first thought was a dog skeleton. Teeth seem different but that's it.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:32 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Looks wierd since it other pics of it Ive seen you can see the fangs. On this one you cant.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Some call it the Hissin Critter. Look at the teeth.
I did a bit of looking and may have found the webpage the photos came from. The view of the skull position in the photo you posted looks like the skull had been detached from the skeleton and was positioned for a head-on view. I'm not sure, but there's a stick at the left side of the skull, which might have been used to position and prop up the skull.

The webpage seems to claim that the skeleton was discovered by the author and friends. There are three photos of the skeleton on the webpage, one being just the skull. The author seems to indicate there are spikes on the backbone. In my opinion, I'd be more likely to think those are the ribs on the other side of the animal's skeleton. The author thinks the skeleton might be a "Hissin critter" based on descriptions of the "critter". However, the author also states "This skeleton may be nothing more than a dog of some breed..." The side view of the skull does indeed resemble that of a dog. Note the teeth in the side view of the skull.

"Mystery Critter"

Old 09-27-2017, 12:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Guys, It's a hynena.
Particularly known for there strong jaws and teeth that allow them to crush bone.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Guys, It's a hynena.
Particularly known for there strong jaws and teeth that allow them to crush bone.
You could be right. Still, how many hyenas are out running around wild in the US?

Old 09-27-2017, 04:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Hard to say without knowing the size of it. It would have been good if that website had said what the body length of it was just to make an estimate of the size. To me the skull and skeleton and vertebral spines and the length of the hind feet looks like it could be either a wolverine or badger, my first guess would be wolverine. There is no tail shown with that skeleton but I guess it could have been dragged off by scavengers.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:25 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
I sat it as my background on my computer and then i can see ribs on thebottom of the critter

Old 09-28-2017, 02:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You could be right. Still, how many hyenas are out running around wild in the US?
Well, there was species of American Hyena that roamed the Great Plains that is now extinct I believe, and there have been sightings of what people believed to be hyenas in Texas and Oklahoma (which is more than likely coyote).
Or it could be simply a picture of a dog where someone attached the skull of a larger carnivore.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well, there was species of American Hyena that roamed the Great Plains that is now extinct I believe, and there have been sightings of what people believed to be hyenas in Texas and Oklahoma (which is more than likely coyote).
Or it could be simply a picture of a dog where someone attached the skull of a larger carnivore.
Right. American hyenas existed in the Americas some 3 to 1.5 million years ago. They probably crossed over from Asia via the land bridge and gradually worked their way as far south as Mexico. I think they can probably be ruled out. The webpage I posted seems to be orphaned (no links to other pages or a homepage) and the author is unknown. It's a bit sketchy. From a brief search, the only photo I could find that the OP posted seems to be from that webpage.

I'd also be inclined to think the skeleton is probably from a dog. I don't think it's a coyote because the fangs of a coyote are longer than those seen in the photo. It's hard to imagine someone going to the trouble of using the skull of some other predatory carnivore and pose it with a dog skeleton. That'd take more effort than it's worth. Even the author didn't rule out the likelihood that it might be a dog skeleton. Looking at the side view of the skull, the teeth look like that of a dog. It also looks like there might be some tissue attached to the skull. Ew!
North America Used to Have its Very Own Hyena | Science | Smithsonian

In any case, linking it to the legend of the Hissin' Critter is more sensational than saying it's just a dog skeleton. The origin of the Hissin' Critter legend is probably similar to the origins of Mothman, Chupacabra, etc. Something that makes for a good horror tale around the campfire out in the wilds, or parents telling their kids to get home before dark or the Hissin' Critter will get ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal