Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I would be asking where did the employees go ?

They were abducted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
I suppose it would make sense that aliens would come down, zero in, to a transmitter which was transmitting a signal, but I do not think this observatory was transmitting out(although we dont know what it was doing).

It definitely would not be the FBI which would meet any aliens coming down as it has not involved them in the past at reported UFO and alien events.

The mercury if it had spilled or leaked would require some hazmat suits as would any other toxic materials. There were no hazmat suits seen.

I do not think it has anything to do with aliens. decommissioning, etc but more likely to do with a danger from something within the FBI's area of expertise such as escapees, etc. I dont think the village was evacuated to keep things secret but to keep the people safe from the threat - whatever it was. I feel a foreign spy ring would not cause a threat or danger to the locals so I dont think it was that.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 09-15-2018 at 09:06 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 10:30 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Neither mercury (if it's there ... I have no idea if they have liquid mirror telescopes there or not) or decommissioning would require the FBI.
Neither would call for the kind of secrecy surrounding this event, either.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Terrorism

Protecting the United States from terrorist attacks is the FBI’s number one priority. The Bureau employs a variety of disciplines and works closely with a range of partners to neutralize terrorist cells and operatives here in the U.S., help dismantle extremist networks worldwide, and cut off financing and other forms of support provided to foreign terrorist organizations by terrorist sympathizers. In particular, the FBI-led Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTFs) across the country are essential to the nation’s success in combatting terrorism.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/terrorism

Old 09-15-2018, 11:58 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

I would worry if the observatory had findings that pointed towards mass extinction. It is difficult to believe that an older observatory would have such information without others around the world that made the same observation/s. The same with seeing aliens; their equipment is not that great that they would be the only ones. I wonder if they could have observed one of our top secret military launches?

As far as mercury: I remember working a freight dock about 40 years ago and occasionally we would have shipments of mercury and sometimes almost a full load. It came shipped in very small round metal casings about four or five inches in diameter and about a foot long; each one weighed 100 pounds. It's very heavy. It is hard to believe that the FBI would get involved in a mercury case. Do observatories, like this one, use mercury for their mirrors?

Old 09-16-2018, 05:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I suppose it would make sense that aliens would come down, zero in, to a transmitter which was transmitting a signal, but I do not think this observatory was transmitting out(although we dont know what it was doing).

It definitely would not be the FBI which would meet any aliens coming down as it has not involved them in the past at reported UFO and alien events.

The mercury if it had spilled or leaked would require some hazmat suits as would any other toxic materials. There were no hazmat suits seen.

I do not think it has anything to do with aliens. decommissioning, etc but more likely to do with a danger from something within the FBI's area of expertise such as escapees, etc. I dont think the village was evacuated to keep things secret but to keep the people safe from the threat - whatever it was. I feel a foreign spy ring would not cause a threat or danger to the locals so I dont think it was that.
There do not appear to be other telescope observatories closed, which would probably be the case if aliens, Nibiru or some other major thing was seen. The security risk is ongoing. If it was escapees they would be far away from a place that ia swarming with the FBI. This whole thing is really weird.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I would worry if the observatory had findings that pointed towards mass extinction. It is difficult to believe that an older observatory would have such information without others around the world that made the same observation/s. The same with seeing aliens; their equipment is not that great that they would be the only ones. I wonder if they could have observed one of our top secret military launches?
Exactly. I think that also makes a connection to some sort of espionage unlikely.

Quote:
As far as mercury: I remember working a freight dock about 40 years ago and occasionally we would have shipments of mercury and sometimes almost a full load. It came shipped in very small round metal casings about four or five inches in diameter and about a foot long; each one weighed 100 pounds. It's very heavy. It is hard to believe that the FBI would get involved in a mercury case. Do observatories, like this one, use mercury for their mirrors?
This article says it's not mercury (which apparently is used on the telescope for a float bearing), and that supposedly "the truth will soon come out":

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ed-aliens.html

Apologies to all for the terrible sentence:

Quote:
I usually do a better job of proofreading before I hit the submit button.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:17 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
All this is speculation and my own wild thoughts. Dont believe them or take any notice of them. Just me thinking out loud.

I would have thought if the FBI were involved, then it must be that there may have been an alert centered on the Post Office so the area around has been evacuated (in this case the Observatory and the village).
The FBI are not a local law enforcement organisation, so it must be something fairly major or important which the local law enforcement dont usually handle so needs help handling.
It is not a bomb because the army bomb squad would have been called in.
It is not hazardous like anthrax because they would have guys walking around in hazmat suits.
It is not aliens because the FBI dont get called in for that.
It is not something which might have ended up in a building somewhere, and it is not a small item.

In my wild guess, it is probably that an unknown creature/person has been seen in the area (Any escaped convicts?) and they are checking the area thoroughly, although normally the authorities do not believe this kind of cryptid report so much to evacuate the area. Maybe an armed fugative perhaps?
Someone somewhere in the area has reported it so someone knows. We need to keep an eye on Reddit, the local news service, and the Bush Telegraph.
If it was an escaped convict it would be a local issue and most likely be publicized they would not keep it a secret. Plus only a very small area was evacuated. If someone was on the run they could easily walk another mile to the other observatory which is still open.

My guess is some nutcase threatened to go there and do a mass shooting. Perhaps an ex employee or someone upset with someone working there. That person can not be located and is thought to be heading towards the observatory. Until they locate that person the facility will be closed. And perhaps the person targeted by the nutcase who works at the observatory lives in the small town nearby, hence the people were evacuated.

I googled who runs the observatory and its HQ is at the University of Colorado. If the threat is based out of state say in Colorado that would make it an FBI situation.

I try to take the Occam's razor approach. This is a facility that is studying the sun. They did not stumble upon the secrets to the universe, nor alien life and just because its located in same state as Roswell does not mean anything. Most likely the simple answer I suggested or something close to it.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-16-2018 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 07:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Between us, we must have contacts who work for the FBI, or some other part of this event. There must be rumours flying around after a week of closure. I realize rumours are no good for accurate information but maybe there is often a grain of truth in them somewhere. Perhaps we can look on Reddit, Twitter, or some other social media to see if there is anything being reported by people involved.

Here are two threads on the Abovetopsecret forum which usually have some quite good investigators although also some conspiracy nuts like we do.

Main thread...
National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons', page 1

secondary thread, closed later
Sunspot Observatory Shutdown (Possible) Explaination, page 1

maybe it is this...
Sunspot Observatory Shutdown (Possible) Explaination, page 2

Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
Maybe it's some type of "drill" (on a small-scale town hosting this type of facility first) that residents were not made aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal