Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 05:36 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I agree the atmosphere is thin and the 'wind' is very weak. .Could the weak wind have caused this pillar to be created under this rock?
Over what period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 04:26 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
You bet there is wind on Mars. Everytime it gets close to us there a dust storm to cover up the surface details when i use a telescope.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:33 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You bet there is wind on Mars. Everytime it gets close to us there a dust storm to cover up the surface details when i use a telescope.
So please show me some evidence in the photos of 5mm spherules blowing into piles behind rocks or smooth surfaces on the rocks which are subjected to all these dust storms.

Do not parrot what the scientists say without looking for evidence to support what they say. As far as I can see there is no evidence of "things" blowing about in the wind or any action by the wind on any surfaces which have been photographed.

However, there is evidence for small sand dunes - which are grains of sand (dust sized perhaps) being blown about.

Comments RocketDawg?

Old 01-04-2022, 08:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Footage taken by Perseverance last July showing a little dusty gust on the Martian surface.

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/2605...-martian-dust/

Old 01-04-2022, 01:57 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Footage taken by Perseverance last July showing a little dusty gust on the Martian surface.

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/2605...-martian-dust/
Yeah, there's been "dust devils" photographed on Mars a few times.

Here's some links, the 1st is from the Curiosity rover and the 2nd is from the Perseverance rover:

Dust Devils on Mars Seen by NASA's Curiosity Rover

3 Dust Devils on Mars spotted on extended video of Ingenuity’s latest flight

Old 01-04-2022, 05:04 PM

I do not deny that there have been photographs and short video clips of dust devils, but...where is the physical evidence of blown debris? How do you have wind without small pieces being blown or if the wind has been there for millions of years, then why are there still sharp pointy rocks?

Ok, so a waaay-out thought for you guys - What if the "dust devils" are beings of some kind moving from place to place. The Ray Bradbury Sci-fi series had the Martians as a next-level technologically advanced beings.

What happens when we evolve past physical bodies. Humans, => genetically modified humans=>perfect humans=> ageless humans => what? Maybe we evolve to mere consciousnesses?

Old 01-04-2022, 05:17 PM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not a chance. No one from another planet can lick the time speed thing just like we can't. We can't even get to Mars let alone another star system.
How can you be so sure?

Old 01-04-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I do not deny that there have been photographs and short video clips of dust devils, but...where is the physical evidence of blown debris? How do you have wind without small pieces being blown or if the wind has been there for millions of years, then why are there still sharp pointy rocks?

Martian dust devils are similar to those seen on Earth in especially dry, arid, desert landscapes – but they are far larger. They can tower up to eight kilometres high on the Red Planet, creating paths that are hundreds of metres wide and stretch out for a few kilometres.
But the atmosphere of Mars is less than 1% as dense as the atmosphere on Earth, so the dust devil's can lift and move only dust and sand.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Explorat...tracks_on_Mars

Old 01-04-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Martian dust devils are similar to those seen on Earth in especially dry, arid, desert landscapes – but they are far larger. They can tower up to eight kilometres high on the Red Planet, creating paths that are hundreds of metres wide and stretch out for a few kilometres.
But the atmosphere of Mars is less than 1% as dense as the atmosphere on Earth, so the dust devil's can lift and move only dust and sand.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Explorat...tracks_on_Mars
Yes, I know all about dust devils, but you (and others) are still not answering the most obvious question which is - Where is the evidence of blown debris? There should be evidence in MER and rover images of a wind. Not just of wind blowing but of effects of wind. Post a picture (preferably more than one out of the tens of thousands the rovers have taken on Mars). Thats all I am asking you consider.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:27 PM

Not from dust devils anyway. And I don't think that any wind can blow debris (what size of debris?) due to low atmosphere density. However, wind can and is moving sand dunes quite easily.

But we still don't know about the unexplored parts of Mars, much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal