Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 AM

692 posts, read 1,357,365 times

Advertisements

A very nasty dog attack on police officers in Newham, London yesterday. Five police officers were injured (three hospitalised) when a pit bull (a breed banned in the UK) attacked them. The dog was eventually cornered and officers from the Firearms Unit CO19 had to shoot it.

Dog that mauled police 'had attacked before' | UK news | The Guardian

The dogs owner has been charged with possession of a dog contrary to the Dangerous Dogs Act and allowing a dog to be out of control in a public place as well a charges of kidnapping and grievous bodily harm with intent, relating to another incident.

I am in favour of the RSPCA proposals for all dogs to be microchipped, mandatory insurance cover for dogs and even the return of the dog licence scheme.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ja...t-in-spotlight

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...hips-insurance

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-23-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
The dog licence scheme was abolished by Maggie Thatcher, using a three line whip ) if I recall. She was rapidly losing her marbles at that point. It was actually a tax that was supported by the majority of responsible dog owners who were even prepared to have the amount it cost from a silly 37.5p, if I recall, to an amount whereby the revenue raised could be sensibly used to pay for dog related issues.

Since then there has also been a sharp rise in the numbers of dogs of certain breeds that cause concern to many.

As someone who has their dog micro-chipped, spayed, insured, vaccinated and so on I guess I would love it that all dogs were treated similarly.

As a youth I used to help out at a vet's. I remember a vet once saying that often it was the owner, not the dog, that needed putting down.

The attitude of the owner makes a marked difference to the behaviour of the pet. I also wonder why certain people choose to have particular types of dog given their circumstances.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 AM

690 posts, read 1,204,406 times
I'd ban the lot.

But i hate dogs.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
I'd ban the lot.

But i hate dogs.
LOL - I certainly don't like psycho looking dogs like pit bulls or rottweilers. I think owners should have to have their dogs microchiped at the very least and possible put on a register (and a licence issued). Insurance - especially in terms of certain bigger and more aggressive breeds breeds might also be an option.

A further option would be to change laws to make owners far more esponsible for their dogs behaviour in public places, and greater penalties for those who let their dogs run wild in puiblic areas.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

202 posts, read 568,918 times
According to the authorities of Barcelona, Spain, there are no dangerous breeds but dangerous owners.

So every owner that wants to own a dog considered as dangerous must subject himself to a psychiatric evaluation and pay insurance.

I once read that dogs tagged as dangerous are not really so, but attract owners that are not well balanced to say the least.

The most dangerous dog is the German Shepherd, and dogs like Poodles are more violent and dangerous than a Pit bull. Of course, an enraged Poodle is not the same thing that an enraged Pit Bull or Rottweiler.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
According to the authorities of Barcelona, Spain, there are no dangerous breeds but dangerous owners.

So every owner that wants to own a dog considered as dangerous must subject himself to a psychiatric evaluation and pay insurance.

I once read that dogs tagged as dangerous are not really so, but attract owners that are not well balanced to say the least.

The most dangerous dog is the German Shepherd, and dogs like Poodles are more violent and dangerous than a Pit bull. Of course, an enraged Poodle is not the same thing that an enraged Pit Bull or Rottweiler.
I am all for some of the owners receiving psychiatric evaluation. In terms of the dogs, many like the pit bull breed are used by morons as fighting dogs and there has been a growth in dog fighting reported by the police and vets in recent years.

In terms of dangerous dogs, some breeds are more dangerous than others for instance the bite per square inch of a pit bull is very different to that of many other breeds. The temprement of fightng breeds may also be different and I don't think it's a good idea to have small children around certain breeds.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,552,971 times
I so wish Pit Bulls were a banned breed here in the US. They're gotten very popular the last 30 years or so and there are numerous yearly deaths and maulings attributed to them. The worst thing is that because of their mushrooming population their genetics have been introduced on a large scale to the mixed breed population and is changing them into something more dangerous.

Heaven forbid any sensible legislation regarding dogs be implemented - it would infringe on states rights, individual freedom, blah, blah, blah, wave the flag, blah, blah.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 AM

703 posts, read 447,337 times
Yes well these 'individual freedoms' actually give rights to a few and infringe on the rights of the majority don't they.
There's a mania now about individual rights, freedoms etc. etc.
It's all part of the selfish, greedy, slovenly society we've created for ourselves.
The fact is that the rights of people to have a dangerous dog on the loose is more important to 'us' than the fact that a child gets mauled or killed every now & then. And when that does happen, the incident gets reported on the TV, they wheel a few know alls on to chant the same old mantra 'it's not the dog it's the owner' and then it's forgotten.
The reality is that in a society where there are many conflicting interests there has to be a correspondingly amount of regulation in order to accommodate those interests as fairly as possible.
As far as I'm concerned we cannot allow even one child to be mauled to death by a dog. No dog should be allowed off the lead in a public place and no individual should be afraid to go anywhere for fear of a dog. That danger & fear exists in the UK and I imagine it's much worse in the US.
Trouble is that governments do not implement these regulations for fear of losing political advantage, or being labeled a 'Nanny State'
A bitter pill to swallow maybe but we need a lot more regulation. It's the lack of it (eliminated by vested interest) that has led us to where we are now.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,340,256 times
there's dog breeds that are more prone to biting /attacking and when they fall in the wrong hands over several generations, you end up with a breed that has a bad reputation. All dogs should be chipped but then when you sell the dog, you should remember to change the ownership on the chip too!
I agree that dogs should be kept on leads at all times when out in public. No matter what breed or how small or large.
Some breeds like the pittbull should be banned everywhere...I'm afraid there is no coming back from what that breed has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom