Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

In Wells' 'Accents of English' he describes how Received Pronunciation, or 'Queens' English' or BBC English had changed even in 1981 when the series of books were published. For instance, in old school RP 'Africa' would be pronounced like 'Efrica' while already by then the polite standard was something like 'Ufrica', formerly considered vulgar. Even if you listen to posh accents today, it seems they're coalescing more with general London English. The Princes and even some of the older royals are examples. It's even been said Her Majesty's accent has changed, although if you listen to her speeches prior to the 1980s, or old actors like Noel Coward and many of those black and white English movies you'll hear the old school posh Etonian accent.

Firstly, how common is RP these days? It seems most of the new aristocracy - businesspeople, entertainers.etc speak more with their regional accents than they used to. In the past accent indicated class but not so much anymore. It seems RP is almost archaic. Is it still common to hear it in the halls of old Oxford or Cambridge, or in smart Kensington? Or has it given way to a more droll SE English 'Estuary'?

Have you noticed that the RP that remains has changed greatly from the 'old style' way that English gents and ladies used to speak? It seems that accent in particular is pretty rare these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM

27 posts, read 49,951 times
Not common. Even over the last 15 years there has been a dramatic evolution of the accents of inner city younger demographics, particularly in London, and to a lesser degree other urban areas. As a result you will frequently find even white-caucasian fairly well educated kids, teens and twenty somethings talking with an accent that is a hybrid of the traditional London accents, mixed with afro-carribbean / south Asian twangs. Popular urban culture has played a large part in the accents propogation.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuPod View Post
Not common. Even over the last 15 years there has been a dramatic evolution of the accents of inner city younger demographics, particularly in London, and to a lesser degree other urban areas. As a result you will frequently find even white-caucasian fairly well educated kids, teens and twenty somethings talking with an accent that is a hybrid of the traditional London accents, mixed with afro-carribbean / south Asian twangs. Popular urban culture has played a large part in the accents propogation.
So even in Eton, Harrow or Rugby, you'd hear some of these 'Jafaican' accents?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I'm sure that this forum as awash with Old Etonians!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 49,951 times
Posh (Marlborough educated) twenty something stand-up comedian Jack Whitehall, has a few jokes in his routine at his own expense about how he used to adopt the urban London accent socially, to appear more cool and 'street'. He mentions it in this interview:

Jack Whitehall interview - TV - ShortList Magazine

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
RP Itself is far from standard.

At primary school I spoke English with a heavy local accent (As did everybody else) but in secondary school - where I mixed with both local children and children from a number of other countries) my accent changed. There was no pressure to change it.

I suppose it became 'RP' but neither my friends nor I spoke about 'thighsands and thighsands of pyends' and although the letter 'e' was the most common letter in our alphabet too, we felt under no compulsion to replace the letter 'a' with the letter 'e'.

That was that. - Not thet.

A number of people have told me that I sound generally 'southern' or 'home counties' but they have difficulty in identifying my accent and can't identify what part of England I come from.

I usually tell them: "That's because I am not English. - Nor am I Scottish, Welsh or Irish."

The accent I speak with seems to be fairly common. I have a few friends who were born and grew up in Scotland but no longer have Scottish accents. - Their accent is very much like mine.

Many of the people I worked with have accents which are very similar to mine. - We come from 'all over' and although some people have retained (to some extent) their original accents, most seem to have adopted an accent which is not readily identifiable as belonging to any particular region.

The term 'Oxford English' makes me smile.

If you want to hear some genuine Oxford English, go and have a chat with Pam Ayres.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Very rare. It's dying out - thank goodness.

Hardly anybody still speaks like Brian Sewell (whos voice I'm convinced is highly affected).
Imagine having to listen to this drawl on a day to day basis:

Last of the Medici - Brian Sewell - YouTube

He sound like someone in a time warp.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Very rare. It's dying out - thank goodness.
I'm intrigued!

Why would you care what sort of accent somebody else had? (Provided, of course, you could understand him.)

Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
I'm intrigued!

Why would you care what sort of accent somebody else had? (Provided, of course, you could understand him.)
To say I care is far too strong a description. Its just I find Brian Sewell very grating and tedious. After about 2 minutes all I hear is blah blah blah. Come on Brian, get on with it.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM

I've actually come to find old style RP a bit charming, but it's toffiness and class associations are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom