Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yet Scotland Yard still has a dedicated unit solely investigating black-on-black crime.
Go figure.
Are you aware than being black doesn't equal crime? Your aware of the countless WHITE gangs in Glasgow, Manchester etc... Glasgow as a big problem with WHITE GANGS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
n... we dont cut off heads of Royalty, thank god...
Of course not!

Edward ll - Red hot poker up the arse.
James l - Assassinated in Perth.
Henry V - Murdered in the Tower of London
Jane Tudor (9 Day queen) - Beheaded
Mary l - Beheaded
Charles Stuart (Charles l) - Beheaded
George V - Euthanasia. (lethal injection administered by his doctor.)

Then, of course, there were:

Richard ll - Murdered or starved to death in Pontefract Castle
Edward V - Smothered in the Tower of London

WIlliam ll (William Rufus) killed in a hunting 'accident'.

The Brits wouldn't go around topping their Royals - of course they wouldn't!

Quote:
...some though cant forget history.
And some prefer to ignore it.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
oh we really are a bad lot.... its a wonder we get so many immigrants flocking to our shores to live here....

Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh we really are a bad lot.... its a wonder we get so many immigrants flocking to our shores to live here....
You've hit the nail on the head there.
You aren't such a dizzy bint after all.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM

27 posts, read 49,951 times
As a mixed race fellow (white / black African), I find the accusation that skin colour is correlated with propensity to criminal activity, incorrect, and offensive. It's not down to genes, it's down to culture, and I will freely agree that there are certain aspects of black urban youth culture, which does glorify violence and anti social behaviour. But you then have to look deeper and look at the historic roots of this culture, these are the descendants of people who were subjugated, impoverished, enslaved, literally made to feel sub-human. These roots run deep and should not be underestimated in their legacy, and if established UK society continues to discriminate and exclude a segment of the population, based on shallow assumptions derived from their skin colour, is it any wonder these people look for other 'darker' avenues to gain a sense of identity, empowerment, and self esteem. Believe me, it can be a daily struggle when you are regularly faced with negative prejudice based on your ethnicity, and in the UK we have become particularly good at being prejudiced in its subtlest expressions. Racism very much still exists in Britain in 2013, we're just much better at disguising it.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Racism doesn't exist solely in the UK and it is not something which affects only those who have dark skins.

There is no shortage of people in the UK and elsewhere who are descended from 'people who were subjugated, impoverished, enslaved, literally made to feel sub-human.'

Some have dark skins - others do not. I do not subscribe to the argument that 'Because my great-grandfather was a slave, I am entitled to special (preferential) treatment and if I choose to behave in an anti-social manner, that behaviour should be tolerated.'

The vast majority of people born and brought up in the UK (there are one or two exceptions - but those exceptions are largely caused by other members of certain cultures) have access to healthcare, food, shelter, clothing, clean water welfare benefits and education.

If some of them elect to behave as sociopaths, then (I hope) they will be treated as such. Irrespective of their skin colour.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
The U.K. is the most violent country in Europe, and contrary to perception, by some measures more violent than America (aside from gun crimes).

UK is violent crime capital of Europe - Telegraph

"A breakdown of the statistics, which were compiled into league tables by the Conservatives, revealed that violent crime in the UK had increased from 652,974 offences in 1998 to more than 1.15 million crimes in 2007.

It means there are over 2,000 crimes recorded per 100,000 population in the UK, making it the most violent place in Europe.

Austria is second, with a rate of 1,677 per 100,000 people, followed by Sweden, Belgium, Finland and Holland.

By comparison, America has an estimated rate of 466 violent crimes per 100,000 population.
"

A Gallop poll shows how citizens perceive their own safety:

Crime Rate Lower in United States, Canada Than in Britain

Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I'm getting a bit sick of the UK being accused of being racist, its one of the least racist countries on earth, don't believe me? Well is the UK more racist than the US, France, Spain, Italy Russia, Poland, Argentina, South Africa, Israel? Nope......... nowhere near. We go up in arms, and rightly so, about name calling from an idiot footballer. But blacks in America stay in 3rd world ghettos, similar in France, all over Eastern Europe ethnic minorities are regularly assaulted but the UK gets made out to somehow be on a par with these places, unbelievable.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I'm getting a bit sick of the UK being accused of being racist, its one of the least racist countries on earth, don't believe me? Well is the UK more racist than the US, France, Spain, Italy Russia, Poland, Argentina, South Africa, Israel? Nope......... nowhere near. We go up in arms, and rightly so, about name calling from an idiot footballer. But blacks in America stay in 3rd world ghettos, similar in France, all over Eastern Europe ethnic minorities are regularly assaulted but the UK gets made out to somehow be on a par with these places, unbelievable.
I'm not taking part in the discussion about the U.K. and race. I really have no idea whether the U.K. is racist.

But please don't assume all blacks are in ghettos in the U.S. There are tons of middle-class blacks here living in very nice homes.

In fact, I once worked with a white girl from South Africa who moved to the U.S. She was in shock at seeing blacks working in corporations, driving nice cars, and living in nice homes.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Whatever, tell that to the black population of New Orleans, Detroit, St Louis, Baltimore or the Latinos of Oakland etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom