Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm about to go visit my daughter who is stationed at Menwith Hall near Harrogate. Our tentative plan is to leave on Friday, May 24, arriving at 11 am Saturday, May 25 in London (Heathrow). We plan to spend Saturday, Sunday and half of Monday in London, and then rent a car and drive to Harrogate (I think that's four hours or so) that afternoon, and spend four days in that area. Though my daughter lives near Harrogate, her house is small so we are going to stay in a hotel in both London and Harrogate.

While in London, since we have such a limited time, I would like to see St Paul's Saturday afternoon, then go out to dinner (we like a pub atmosphere), then get up the next morning and visit the Tower that morning and Westminster Abbey that afternoon - or vice versa (or we could see Westminster Abbey Saturday and then St Paul's Sunday, whatever). Then Monday I would really like to visit Hampton Court before picking up the rental car and driving to Harrogate. All that can be massaged around - that's part of my questioning. Am I giving each of these attractions enough time?

We are thinking of using the bus system to visit every place except Hampton Court. I guess we will take the train to Hampton Court.

Then we drive to Harrogate Monday afternoon. We will have three full days there, and of course I want to spend time with my family so I want that time frame to be laid back - let my daughter call the shots. The only thing I am adamant about is spending one day in York.

That's my next question - any suggestions about what to see and do in York?

What will the weather probably be like the last week of May?

Are there any national holidays or extravagant festivals or anything like that in London, northern England, or York in that time frame - which would cause it to be difficult to get into places or whatever?

For a nice, modern hotel room in London - comfortable, not small and cramped - can we probably get that sort of room for around $400 a night?

What about in Harrogate - could we probably come in at around $300 a night?

Any suggestions for dining experiences in Harrogate or the surrounding area?

Your input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM

490 posts, read 683,298 times
That's not a lot of time to see London, but most of the attractions are fairly central.

Use the tube to get around London, it's easier and usually quicker than the buses.

Your hotel budget is more than enough. You can get a good London hotel for £150 no problem.

Visit York Official Tourist Information. Book York hotels, B&Bs and Self-catering. Discover attracti Look here for things to do in York. You might also want to drive out to the Dales too. Lovely scenery to be had.

Monday 27th May is a public holiday, so expect the tourist attractions to be busy that weekend.

Weather could be hot and sunny or cool and rainy. Pot luck really.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,910,548 times
You might not save any money but it would be much more relaxing to take the train from London to Harrogate and rent a car when you get there. Driving in London is no fun at all. Save the driving for the Yorkshire Dales or the North York Moors or both!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,935,341 times
There will be church services at both St Paul's and Westminster Abbey on Sunday morning, and perhaps later in the day as well. I expect their websites will include info. If you attend, you'll get to hear the massive organs at both locations, but part of the sanctuary may be closed to other visitors.

There are many other tourist attractions within easy walking distance of Westminster Abbey - Westminster Hall is right next door, Whitehall is across the street, and 10 Downing Street is just a few minutes away. Buckingham Palace is a short walk, as is Trafalgar Square.

And of course, Tower Bridge is right beside The Tower.

Familiarize yourself with Tube (aka Underground) routes before your trip. It is a very efficient way to travel through London, and would come in handy on your visit to the Tower and perhaps St Paul's, assuming you will be staying somewhere near Westminster, where there are a number of hotels. There was a good bus connection to Hampton Court Palace when I visited many years ago, but you'll want to check this, too. The Palace is huge, as are the grounds - be sure to allow enough time. Expect crowds, as you'll be there during a Bank Holiday Weekend.

You'll want to visit York Minster, and the old section of the city around it. It is within view of the York train station.

I concur with the suggestion of taking the train to Harrogate from London - you'll see more of the countryside and it's much easier than driving, especially as you would be driving on the left, British cars' steering wheels and controls are on the right, and some traffic signs and regulations differ somewhat from those in the U.S. and may not be familiar. If you plan to drive a car at all, do familiarize yourself with the standard signs and rules, and as a pedestrian, realize that in the UK, you do NOT automatically have the right-of-way at intersections. Learn to look right first, too, when crossing the street either on foot or when you're driving.

Is this your first trip to England?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,935,341 times
Forgot to say that there are bus tours of London by night which include dinner - this might be fun for your first night, as you could see the many illuminated buildings and bridges and get a feel for the city and see a little more without having to worry about driving or Tube or taxi connections.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
You might not save any money but it would be much more relaxing to take the train from London to Harrogate and rent a car when you get there. Driving in London is no fun at all. Save the driving for the Yorkshire Dales or the North York Moors or both!
We would pick up the car at Heathrow the last day we're in London and bypass London to drive to Harrogate. My gosh, the train tickets are EXPENSIVE from London to Harrogate!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 PM

670 posts, read 906,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I'm about to go visit my daughter who is stationed at Menwith Hall near Harrogate. Our tentative plan is to leave on Friday, May 24, arriving at 11 am Saturday, May 25 in London (Heathrow). We plan to spend Saturday, Sunday and half of Monday in London, and then rent a car and drive to Harrogate (I think that's four hours or so) that afternoon, and spend four days in that area. Though my daughter lives near Harrogate, her house is small so we are going to stay in a hotel in both London and Harrogate.

While in London, since we have such a limited time, I would like to see St Paul's Saturday afternoon, then go out to dinner (we like a pub atmosphere), then get up the next morning and visit the Tower that morning and Westminster Abbey that afternoon - or vice versa (or we could see Westminster Abbey Saturday and then St Paul's Sunday, whatever). Then Monday I would really like to visit Hampton Court before picking up the rental car and driving to Harrogate. All that can be massaged around - that's part of my questioning. Am I giving each of these attractions enough time?

We are thinking of using the bus system to visit every place except Hampton Court. I guess we will take the train to Hampton Court.

Then we drive to Harrogate Monday afternoon. We will have three full days there, and of course I want to spend time with my family so I want that time frame to be laid back - let my daughter call the shots. The only thing I am adamant about is spending one day in York.

That's my next question - any suggestions about what to see and do in York?

What will the weather probably be like the last week of May?

Are there any national holidays or extravagant festivals or anything like that in London, northern England, or York in that time frame - which would cause it to be difficult to get into places or whatever?

For a nice, modern hotel room in London - comfortable, not small and cramped - can we probably get that sort of room for around $400 a night?

What about in Harrogate - could we probably come in at around $300 a night?

Any suggestions for dining experiences in Harrogate or the surrounding area?

Your input is appreciated!
I thought you said you had visited London before. Pub meals are notoriously horrible and bland unless you know where to go to, usually not in touristy parts of London.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Forgot to say that there are bus tours of London by night which include dinner - this might be fun for your first night, as you could see the many illuminated buildings and bridges and get a feel for the city and see a little more without having to worry about driving or Tube or taxi connections.
That sounds like a really cool idea! Thanks! I will ask our travel agent about it!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
I thought you said you had visited London before. Pub meals are noAtoriously horrible and bland unless you know where to go to, usually not in touristy parts of London.
No, I have never been to England before. I've been to Europe - Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Holland, but never the UK.

I want some GOOD fish and chips. That's what I'm asking - where should we eat in London? I mentioned pubs because I want to experience the pub atmosphere somewhere along the way.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Dang it, I didn't realize we'd be in London over a bank holiday weekend. This is enough to make me consider changing the dates. We haven't booked the trip yet - I'm looking at dates right now. We may want to bump it to TUESDAY June 1 through June 8. Wimbledon isn't till the third week in June so we'd be OK.

What do you guys think? Would it be advantageous to bump the trip out a few days to avoid the bank holiday/three day weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom