Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,913,123 times

Advertisements

Poor old S****horpe! For the uninitiated it's S.c.u.n.t.h.o.r.p.e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

10,557 posts, read 6,212,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I am one of those people who like to travel to the less traditional places so what cities would you recommend that is not London.
Good question. Glad you asked.
The rest of the UK has so much more to offer.

Here are some of my favourites and top must see things about each:

1. Liverpool: The UK's most underrated city (IMHO) offers at least as much as London: The beautiful Albert dock / The Pier Head, The Tate, The Maritime Museum, Liverpool Art Gallery, The Anglican Cathedral, The Catholic Cathedral (Paddys wigwam), The World Museum, Speke Hall, St Georges Hall, The Philharmonic, Mathew Street (home of the Cavern Club), Ferry across the Mersey, International Slavery museum, Chinatown, Museum of Liverpool, The Everyman Theatre. And that's just to start. (I'm from there so I'm a bit biased too )

2. Canterbury area. Visit Canterbury Cathedral, Roman Museum, Canterbury Tales and the town, then not too far distant visit Dover Castle - the castle to beat all castles and also its labyrinth of miles and miles of 'secret' wartime tunnels. If you are into castles there is also Deal Castle and Walmer Castle nearby, also great for a visit. Hire a bike and cycle the 'Crab and Winkle' way all the way to beautiful Whitstable.

3. Brighton and Hastings area. Visit the Royal Pavillion in Brighton, then about an hours drive east, spend the day in historic Hastings and learn about the Battle of Hastings.

4. Bath. Of course for its historic Roman baths.

5. Oxford and Cambridge. Both historic and beautiful old university towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Bracknell
Cumbernauld
S****horpe
Milton Keynes
Croydon
Middlesbrough
Dagenham
Hull

None of these are 'traditional' destinations.

Edit: Oh come on, what is rude about S****horpe???
Stewart G Griffin here unless you hadn't worked out is being facetious . Please give a wide berth to all the places he mentioned.
I really wouldn't bother with Leeds either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
HAHA! I love that S****horpe gets edited.

A few more (serious) suggestions...

Windsor
Cantebury
Chester
Salisbury
Portsmouth
Warwick
Stratford Upon Avon
Cornwall area if you can spare more than a day

I also second Chester, Stratford Upon Avon and the Cornwall area.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM

490 posts, read 684,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
You missed out Slough.
I lived there briefly a few years ago and have blanked it from my mind.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM

16,761 posts, read 17,529,149 times
To be serious, I'd recommend small to medium sized towns found the length and breadth of this diverse land.

The UK may be small but there is such diversity in styles and richness of architecture.

I also love our countryside and I spent a good part of today in a beautiful rural area where I could hardly see a man made object for miles despite being fairly close to a couple of lovely market towns.

Pick any county in the Country and you'd be hard pressed not to find somewhere worth having a look at.

Maybe if the OP were to narrow the search area down a bit we might be able to be more specific.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:04 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,548,213 times
During my trip to England I barely got out of London and I really regret it. I did take a short train ride to nearby Rochester and really enjoyed my day there. Lots of historical sights to see and there was some sort of Christmas fair on the High Street, complete with people in Dickens era costume encouraging the crowd to sing along to traditional carols. What was even better was the shoppers on the High Street seem to be mostly British (at least from what I could hear from their accents as I passed). I loved that bit - London is so international and most attractions were swarming with people like me. I will go again someday and I will absolutely get out of London to the smaller cities, towns and rural areas.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,428,374 times
s****horpe
Inverness
Aberdeen
Oxford
Newcastle upon tyne
Cardiff
Cambridge
Norwich
York
Fort william
London's outer commuter towns - tunbridge wells
Leamington spa
Braemar

Last edited by P London; 05-31-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,331,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
During my trip to England I barely got out of London and I really regret it. I did take a short train ride to Rochester...What was even better was the shoppers on the High Street seem to be mostly British (at least from what I could hear from their accents as I passed). I loved that bit - London is so international and most attractions were swarming with people like me. I will go again someday and I will absolutely get out of London to the smaller cities, towns and rural areas.
you should have stayed on the train for another five minutes and visited Chatham.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 AM

44,038 posts, read 44,817,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Bath
Oxford
Cambridge
Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
A few more (serious) suggestions...

Windsor
Cantebury
Portsmouth
Stratford Upon Avon
Cornwall area if you can spare more than a day
I think all of the above plus I would suggest visiting Wales if you have a few days to spare.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,694,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Leeds I remember reading about years ago thought it would be worth a visit.
If you have a bit of spare time, or are traveling around the UK and visiting multiple places, then I would recommend it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit if I didn't already live here. Its primary attributes are shopping, dining, and partying, so is more suited to the under 35s (excellent for students). With that being said, it's easy to get here by pretty much any mode of transport, and there are some good museums, art galleries and impressive Victorian buildings that might offer some interest, and it's the 12th most visited city in the UK, far above York (a more 'traditional' tourist location).

I'd also recommend Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Bristol and perhaps Birmingham. Please ignore the snobbery directed towards the larger cities by boring traditional types, as they are usually ill-informed and base their opinions on prejudice and stereotypes with little substance in reality.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 06-02-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 AM

54 posts, read 59,887 times
London is the coolest city in the UK, but if I have to recommend others I would say:

Windsor: small but fascinating, history, parks, Windsor castle, changing guards, Eton college.
Goring/Streatley on Thames: little towns on the river. Very English and country feeling.
Edinburgh: beautiful city with its own identity, access to Scottish beauty!
St David: UK's smallest town and very quaint! Worth the visit.

I wouldn't recommend other cities because most are pretty much the same I.e same high street stores and such like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom