Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 04:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times

Advertisements

I cannot be put up with that man Varadkar at all. Striding the screens as if he is the leader of some big world country. I have complimented some breaks with the past over there but it was a county very unable to get anywhere itself being controlled for ages by it's Church (as intimated previously) and could not get out of it's mess I am afraid by itself. Hence desperate so long ago to be like other small places in the EU to get money as unfortunately not able to do much itself.

The SF/IRA lot are a hangover but will never be able to rule the South by itself as many people there are more sensible so they create all sorts of things to destabilise especially in Ulster. There will continue to be sensible people crossing to and fro re the border without wanting to cause mayhem like the Shinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,753 times
Talking about 'Paddys' really isn't helpful and no doubt confirms in some minds across the world that the UK has some sort of superiority complex regarding Ireland and thinks it can boss it around.

The Irish PM is the head of government for a sovereign state and of course he wants to push for the interests of that sovereign state, why wouldn't he? That sovereign state is also a member of the EU which will naturally side with a member state in any dispute or argument with a non member state, or a state that is looking to leave the union. That's one of the advantages of being an EU member, you are not just one small country, there's a big union that has your back in disputes with external forces.

The UK brexiteeers didn't recognise that and thought they could play one EU country off against another to their advantage, but the EU has been impressively firm in that respect and has presented a strong united front.

The brexiteer idea of divide and rule has been thoroughly thwarted.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM

The Irish PM is the Head of government for a sovereign state, why wouldn't he try to push for the interests of that sovereign state? Talk of 'Paddys' who should just do what the UK wants really doesn't do anything for Britain's reputation internationally and just makes the UK look like a bully with a superiority complex.

One thing that is clear is that being part of the EU along with 27 member states has strengthened Ireland greatly in this debacle. The brexiteers have again overestimated the importance of the UK in the whole scheme of things, the EU has been impressively united on this, all the talk of Germany throwing Ireland under the bus because 'they want to sell cars to us' has been shown to be nonsense.

Divide and rule strategy won't work in this case. The arrogance of UK brexiteers thinking that they were so important that the EU would give anything to keep the UK on board at any cost has been exposed for the BS it always was.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Sorry, double post, i thought the first one had disappeared!

Old 04-11-2019, 01:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Everything I can find indicates N.I. is a Great Drain on Great Briton . You do not concur I take it ?

Northern Ireland
The Republic of Ireland
Ireland (island)
The United Kingdom
How valuable is Northern Ireland to the UK?

9 Answers

Brian Ward, lives in Ireland
Answered Jul 15 2015 · Author has 108 answers and 241.6k answer views

Economically Britain would love to get rid of NI, politically it's a bit harder, stubbornly it doesn't want to give in.

Economically as has already been pointed out NI is a massive drain on the UK budget. It costs Britain billions each year to maintain NI with no major comeback for it. The "flag" protests and Twaddle camp protest have cost £45 million alone for such small events.

Politically they don't want to lose it as it could lead to a resurgence of the Scottish Independence claim and the ultimate break up of the UK. They also don't want to be seen as giving in to the Republican Irish and by association the IRA. The Unionist/Loyalist faction want to be part of the UK yet are now threatening to shoot police officers who are officers of the Queen. Try to figure that one out! The last people on the planet that the British want are these "British" Loyalists.

The last point is that Ireland was the first nation to break with the British Empire and they haven't forgotten that. Out of sheer bloodymindedness the last thing that Britain wants to do is to be seen to be giving in to the Irish. They are torn between paying a fortune for something they don't want yet giving it back to the people that started the end of their Empire.
Your post is nonsense, you seem to STILL be missing THE ONE AND ONLY thing that matters - people in Northern Ireland voted to stay part of Britain!! Cant you get that into your head!? What has being a 'drain' on the UK budget got to do with it?!! If countries 'cut loose' every part of their nation that was a 'drain on the budget' then the US should simply get rid of half the country! (Give it back to the Indians perhaps?)

Old 04-11-2019, 02:18 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Sadly,as long as Varadkar continues to strut like a preening peacock on the European stage,egged on by a complicit and unquestioning media,the average Paddy will soak up his Bash the Brits schtick.
There is no opposition in Ireland.It engages in a confidence and supply agreement to keep both parties with their hands on power and sod the electorate.
And bovine and clueless Paddy - after hundreds of years of willingly being told what to do by the Brits,the Church and now the EU - is spineless in his abject capitulation.
Literally I cannot recall reading or seeing anyone in Irish politics challenging the status quo.
They all sing from the same hymn sheet which sees hundreds of people sleeping on trolleys in hospital corridors every night and many many more dying needlessly every year because there isn't the money or facilities to treat people with life-threatening diseases.
Instead,the media freet endlessly over trivia like whether he should have written to Kylie Minogue asking for a private audience next time she plays in Dublin.
Paddy is short-changed every day by his government but is too stupid or lazy to object.

Classic

One does wonder what self loathing Irish people you claim as being close to you, can tolerate your view of their heritage, yet remain silent about your bigotry.

While I believe you are entitled to any opinion/view you have bouncing around in that noggin of yours, I do wonder if you understand how such views are counter-productive to the NI dilemma.
The irony of course is you likely feel you are being magnanimous rather than condescending.
If your general disdain is indicative of other Brits toward the Irish in NI, it is little wonder why they wish independence.

`

Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Your post is nonsense, you seem to STILL be missing THE ONE AND ONLY thing that matters - people in Northern Ireland voted to stay part of Britain!! Cant you get that into your head!? What has being a 'drain' on the UK budget got to do with it?!! If countries 'cut loose' every part of their nation that was a 'drain on the budget' then the US should simply get rid of half the country! (Give it back to the Indians perhaps?)
I know your post was a reply to another poster, but just to clarify, what vote to remain part of the UK are you referring to?
I hope it is not the referendum that the Irish/Nationalists boycotted way back in the day.

`

Old 04-11-2019, 05:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I know your post was a reply to another poster, but just to clarify, what vote to remain part of the UK are you referring to?
I hope it is not the referendum that the Irish/Nationalists boycotted way back in the day.

`
This:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_N...nd_border_poll

Seems clear enough to me, a majority of people in N.Ireland want to stay part of Britain end of story, like I said its called 'Democracy'. Whoever did or didn't vote is irrelevant (and if they didn't vote rather stupid) I suggest those that boycotted knew what the result of the poll would be before the vote. You see this is how 'Democracy' works - its exactly the same in the US, people are asked to vote on their wishes and the majority gets their wishes granted (Democracy see). I have yet to see ANY Democratic vote ANYWHERE in the world that has 100% of the people voting the same way (though the Falkland Islanders were damn close with over 99% of people voting to stay part of the UK) but again that's called 'Democracy' its how 'Democracy' works and if the minority of people that don't get what they want from a Democratic vote then decided violence was the answer to get their way instead of accepting the 'Democratic' result then the UK would pretty soon turn into a country that looked lot like some kind of African dictatorship.

Unfortunately many people on this globe see the English (yes English not British) as some kind of evil race of beings that has subjugated the world. Hollywood perhaps? Scotland has also voted to stay part of the UK and that DOES NOT mean subjugated by the English but to remain part of the 'UNION' a union incidentally that came about when the king of Scotland took over the English throne and NOT because the 'evil' English invaded and subjugated (despite what Mel Gibson thinks).

Often the government of Democratic countries get a lot less than 50% of the population voting for them but if you want to be part of a civilised modern world you have to go with the majority (like it or not). Democracy may not be perfect but do you know any better way of governance?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:11 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
As far as my understanding Britain like Ireland is bound by the GFA. This means that the Northern Irish decide whether they will leave the union with the UK or rejoin with the rest of Ireland.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Sadly,as long as Varadkar continues to strut like a preening peacock on the European stage,egged on by a complicit and unquestioning media,the average Paddy will soak up his Bash the Brits schtick.
There is no opposition in Ireland.It engages in a confidence and supply agreement to keep both parties with their hands on power and sod the electorate.
And bovine and clueless Paddy - after hundreds of years of willingly being told what to do by the Brits,the Church and now the EU - is spineless in his abject capitulation.
Literally I cannot recall reading or seeing anyone in Irish politics challenging the status quo.
They all sing from the same hymn sheet which sees hundreds of people sleeping on trolleys in hospital corridors every night and many many more dying needlessly every year because there isn't the money or facilities to treat people with life-threatening diseases.
Instead,the media freet endlessly over trivia like whether he should have written to Kylie Minogue asking for a private audience next time she plays in Dublin.
Paddy is short-changed every day by his government but is too stupid or lazy to object.
Another enlightening contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom