Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brexit
Stay in EU/Bydand 35 36.08%
Leave EU/Adios! 62 63.92%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:07 AM

1,285 posts, read 593,168 times

Advertisements

i've read that British expats have generally been leaving Spain already.
I think the jist of it was that this was due to tax law changes in Spain whereby foreign investments and capital have to be counted now for Spanish tax purposes; this was the result of the financial bailout of Spain.

They need to broaden the tax net to pay for it and British expats living there don't want to get caught in the net.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,655,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
in Spain?
No that's not what I find at all.
• Public and private hospitals by region 2013 | Spain

No, I was referring to the public/private hospital ratio in the US to explain the Florida figures I posted..

I'm not sure what to make of your question. You deliberately cropped my sentence to distort the meaning. Granted, on reflection my sentence @# 135 above was poorly constructed with a badly placed comma, (highlighted) but that was accidental. You on the other hand in your quotation deliberately replaced my comma with your period, which distorts my intent entirely.

I'm guilty of writing a poorly constructed sentence.
You're guilty of completely distorting it's meaning.
Never a good idea to distort someone's words.

Here's the sentence I wrote at # 135 above.

Quote:
Well I think by any measure, because there is relatively little public health care, close to 0% of hospitals are publicly owned, in the US, the privately insured health care market is much more extensive in the US than supplementary health care insurance in the EU.
Here's how you quoted it at #137 above.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Well I think by any measure, because there is relatively little public health care, close to 0% of hospitals are publicly owned.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 AM

Will likely be more difficult to maintain this export performance from outside the EU.

— UK trade deficit falls after record rise in exports: As a present for George Osborne ahead of the EU referendum, new figures show that British exports in the last year grew mainly due to trading with the EU, with a major increase of 10.3 percent, while non EU-exports rose only by 1.9 percent. It also eases concerns after last month’s figures showed Britain’s trade deficit with other EU countries was running at a record high. The Guardian: http://bit.ly/1sxtCr9

— Blair and Major: Brexit could threaten peace in Northern Ireland: Former British Prime Ministers John Major and Tony Blair warned that a Brexit might fracture the U.K., as Britain’s peace settlement with Northern Ireland could be threatened if they leave the EU. They added that leaving would likely lead to a second Scottish referendum. POLITICO: Tony Blair and John Major warn Brexit could tear UK apart – POLITICO

— Tory MP switches sides: Senior Tory MP Sarah Wollaston renounced her support for the Leave campaign, saying she no longer feels “comfortable” campaigning for a Brexit. The head of the U.K. House of Commons health committee cited her main concern with the campaign is a claim that a Brexit would allow the U.K. to spend an additional £350 million per week on the National Health Service, which she says “simply isn’t true.” More on POLITICO: Tory MP quits Leave campaign over ‘untrue’ claims – POLITICO

— Think tank says Brexit would hit poorer families hardest: A report from the National Institute of Economic and Social Research said that low-income households would be disproportionately affected by a Brexit, estimating that in a worst-case scenario, the households could receive £5,500 less per year in tax credits and benefit payments in 2020. The estimates assume that welfare spending would be slashed to adjust to the new economic climate. Full report: The EU Referendum and Fiscal Impact On Low Income Households | National Institute of Economic and Social Research

— Recruiters say Brexit has already caused job losses: In a poll, recruiter Randstad U.K. found that 17 percent of 340 professionals polled had already frozen hiring, with 25 percent turning to short-term contracts. While firms such as CBI estimated that a Brexit could cost a million jobs, Dean of the London Business School Andrew Likierman said that the recruiting slowdown “is having an impact right now.” The Independent: Brexit job losses have already begun, recruiters say | Business News | News | The Independent

Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM

1,285 posts, read 593,168 times
Quote:
No, I was referring to the public/private hospital ratio in the US to explain the Florida figures I posted..
Sorry i was just stumbling into the conversation without digesting much of the content beforehand.
Spain is on my mind right now as i am planning a holiday.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:12 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,997,019 times
Where will British pensioners will end up?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,735,976 times
Quote:
Will likely be more difficult to maintain this export performance from outside the EU.

— UK trade deficit falls after record rise in exports: As a present for George Osborne ahead of the EU referendum, new figures show that British exports in the last year grew mainly due to trading with the EU, with a major increase of 10.3 percent, while non EU-exports rose only by 1.9 percent. It also eases concerns after last month’s figures showed Britain’s trade deficit with other EU countries was running at a record high. The Guardian: http://bit.ly/1sxtCr9
None of this is scientifically convincing. You don't have any control group, and you don't even have a benchmark.

Maybe to prove your point, you can show trade volume growth for EU countries vs. Norway/Switzerland, and prove that the outsider did show slower trade growth (total volume, not EU because that's expected and doesn't prove a thing) than those who chose to join the EU.

All the rest he said she said quotes are meaningless. A lot of those have their own interest in it and what they stand for doesn't always align with what's best for the UK. Plus, one can easily find famous people who don't think it is a big deal too.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Out. I believe my personal financial interests are to stay in, but I believe it's better for the long term future of this country to leave.
I'm American, not British, so it would be presumptuous to tell the British electorate what to do. However, I can tell you what unlimited immigration has done to my country.

Itr has unquestionably provided economic benefits, but it is destroying our culture. Corrupt and venal politicians look upon Third World immigrants as a source of new voters. These people do not have European values regarding culture, politics, or society. They don't understand what freedom means or that the individual has recognized rights. That makes a big difference. It permits the election of politicians who are very willing to offer welfare payments to immigrants, but take our rights away from us as their price.

Forty years ago people of European heritage made up 90% of our electorate. The figure today is barely 70%. It's doubtful that we could elect Ronald Reagan today. Could the British elect Margaret Thatcher? Our countries would be very different places today if we hadn't had those two giants.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:51 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,694,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm American, not British, so it would be presumptuous to tell the British electorate what to do. However, I can tell you what unlimited immigration has done to my country.

Itr has unquestionably provided economic benefits, but it is destroying our culture. Corrupt and venal politicians look upon Third World immigrants as a source of new voters. These people do not have European values regarding culture, politics, or society. They don't understand what freedom means or that the individual has recognized rights. That makes a big difference. It permits the election of politicians who are very willing to offer welfare payments to immigrants, but take our rights away from us as their price.

Forty years ago people of European heritage made up 90% of our electorate. The figure today is barely 70%. It's doubtful that we could elect Ronald Reagan today. Could the British elect Margaret Thatcher? Our countries would be very different places today if we hadn't had those two giants.
In 1986, Ronald Reagan was the President and Immigration Amnesty Act was passed which provided Amnesty to everybody who has entered the country before 1982. It was Ronald Reagan who increased the Non-European Heritage of Voters. Illegals cannot vote but those illegals who became legal because of Ronald Reagan can vote.

A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants : NPR

Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
None of this is scientifically convincing. You don't have any control group, and you don't even have a benchmark.

Maybe to prove your point, you can show trade volume growth for EU countries vs. Norway/Switzerland, and prove that the outsider did show slower trade growth (total volume, not EU because that's expected and doesn't prove a thing) than those who chose to join the EU.

All the rest he said she said quotes are meaningless. A lot of those have their own interest in it and what they stand for doesn't always align with what's best for the UK. Plus, one can easily find famous people who don't think it is a big deal too.
Because of your handle, I believe English is not your first language, so I'll cut you some slack.

That said it needs to be pointed out, I made no claim that my opinion was scientifically convincing.

I qualified my statement which is clearly only my opinion, by using the word "likely". Alternatively, I could have said "possibly" or even "probably".

If every comment on C-D was required to have the scientifically convincing standard you suggest, there would be very little to read or respond to.

The point I was making is that in the event of a leave, because UK exports are currently at a high, rather than a low, it will be more, not less, difficult to maintain that status due to both possible new tariffs and extra red tape.

I haven't the slightest intention of spending time and effort on the research you suggest. But if you feel strongly on the issue, don't let me stop you.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Hate to break the news to you, but the US is on course to be Majority-Minority by 2043.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_minority

A lot of non Americans will cheer at the idea of destruction of American culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom