Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brexit
Stay in EU/Bydand 35 36.08%
Leave EU/Adios! 62 63.92%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:56 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,698,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
The core concept of the EU is the free movement of capital, goods, and labor/people, as in the US.

The central contradiction of Brexit is that it wishes to maintain the first two, while at least partially rejecting the third.
British Tourists travel in droves to Spain. Brexit will adversely affect that as so many Retirees live in Spain too. They want to go but do not want Eastern Europeans to come to their country??? Individual deals with every country after Referendum???

Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,800,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
British Tourists travel in droves to Spain. Brexit will adversely affect that as so many Retirees live in Spain too. They want to go but do not want Eastern Europeans to come to their country??? Individual deals with every country after Referendum???
Why would it be difficult for Brits to continue visiting Spain?

Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,698,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
After Brexit vote is implemented, people from EU countries will not be allowed to visit UK unless they have Visa. Same thing will be implemented for British Citizens also. Spain is in EU. I dont think that UK will block EU citizens but continue visa free access to rest of the EU.
Of course British Citizens can take schengen visa and visit Spain but then it adds to the cost. They cannot have one way street free movement of people.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,800,850 times
Quote:
After Brexit vote is implemented, people from EU countries will not be allowed to visit UK unless they have Visa. Same thing will be implemented for British Citizens also. Spain is in EU. I dont think that UK will block EU citizens but continue visa free access to rest of the EU.
Of course British Citizens can take schengen visa and visit Spain but then it adds to the cost. They cannot have one way street free movement of people.
If true, then simply get a visa.

In 1988, non EU nationals (that's me) had to get a visa to visit France. I visited the French embassy, paid the modest fee, and voila- had my visa. Took maybe 40 minutes. In today's world of the Internet and Express Mail services, it would be even easier.

I also studied in Germany and had to get a residence permit. I brought my university documents, smiled and said bitte and danke, and received my visa. Took an hour, most of which was waiting. Not bad for a year's worth of residence.

A visa is not a game changer.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 AM

1,285 posts, read 593,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think it's more the British retirees living in Spain that is the concern.
It has to do with the rights to access healthcare from one EU country to the next, and the taxation of pensions.

Right now British retirees i think, don't have to pay Spanish tax when they receive their British pensions into their Spanish bank accounts. But this is due to a sort of tax treaty with the EU and that would not apply if the UK leave.

So the UK would have to negotiate a separate and new tax treaty with Spain.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
No, that is not the case. Quite a lot of non-EU countries do not require a visa for the UK (e.g. USA) and UK citizens did not require a visa for European countries before the UK was part of the EEC (EU). As they do today, EU citizens will require a passport or national identity card to enter the UK and UK citizens a passport to enter Schengen. Nothing is likely to change in that respect.

The idea that everyone will need visas is, quite simply, nonsense.

The issue with regard to 'free movement of people' are the sheer number of EU citizens living in the UK and the number of UK citizens living in the EU. That makes the problem very complex. There are around one million UK citizens in Spain many of them retired. It is simply not possible to tell them all to 'get out'.

There is also an economic issue. Southern European countries like Spain, Portugal and Greece are heavily reliant on tourism. Millions of Brits amongst others go there on vacation every year. Nobody is going to want to hurt their tourist industry by making life difficult. The same is true for British retirees in Spain. Almost a million people spending their pensions and retirement savings is a big economic boost. Spain will be very careful how she handles that issue in the event of Brexit.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
I think it's more the British retirees living in Spain that is the concern.
It has to do with the rights to access healthcare from one EU country to the next, and the taxation of pensions.

Right now British retirees i think, don't have to pay Spanish tax when they receive their British pensions into their Spanish bank accounts. But this is due to a sort of tax treaty with the EU and that would not apply if the UK leave.

So the UK would have to negotiate a separate and new tax treaty with Spain.
Tax is not an EU competence (which is another issue altogether). The UK already has a tax treaty with Spain that was was signed on 14 March 2013 and entered into force on 12 June 2014.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,656,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
No, that is not the case. Quite a lot of non-EU countries do not require a visa for the UK (e.g. USA) and UK citizens did not require a visa for European countries before the UK was part of the EEC (EU). As they do today, EU citizens will require a passport or national identity card to enter the UK and UK citizens a passport to enter Schengen. Nothing is likely to change in that respect.

The idea that everyone will need visas is, quite simply, nonsense.

The issue with regard to 'free movement of people' are the sheer number of EU citizens living in the UK and the number of UK citizens living in the EU. That makes the problem very complex. There are around one million UK citizens in Spain many of them retired. It is simply not possible to tell them all to 'get out'.

There is also an economic issue. Southern European countries like Spain, Portugal and Greece are heavily reliant on tourism. Millions of Brits amongst others go there on vacation every year. Nobody is going to want to hurt their tourist industry by making life difficult. The same is true for British retirees in Spain. Almost a million people spending their pensions and retirement savings is a big economic boost. Spain will be very careful how she handles that issue in the event of Brexit.
I suspect not as careful as you think. Retirees are by far the heaviest users of very expensive health care and other social services. Stats show that people consume the vast majority of their health care in their final years. The Spanish calculation may be a lot simpler than you think.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 593,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
. The UK already has a tax treaty with Spain that was was signed on 14 March 2013 and entered into force on 12 June 2014.
Didn't know that, thanks.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,656,231 times
In the US, Florida, home to many retirees, and generally a low cost state, has among the highest per capita health costs, 20-30% above its neighbors Alabama, Georgia, and S. Carolina.

Health Care Expenditures per Capita by State of Residence | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom